How Safe Germany And Austria ? (1 Viewer)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hardly a day goes past without reports of break ins or Bike thefts . In UK even on campsites seems to be just as bad as France . We will be spending a lot of time in Germany and Austria this spring and just wonder what the statistics are We have toured France as well as Germany in the past and had no problems having taken normal precautions of alarming the van and securing bikes when unattended .....it just seems that lately there has been an increase of posts about various thefts and robberies .

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
No problems on our recent German trip, a mixture of aires and campsites. We didn't fancy using the bikes much around Amsterdam though, but that's neither Germany nor Austria.

As you say, rack 'em up, lock them and alarm your van - what more can you reasonably do?

If it's a major concern, why not spend a few quid on a pair of cranky old black sit up and beg bikes that nobody in their right mind would want to nick? That seems to be the thinking in Dutch cities.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Stayed in Munich several years running, in fact one year Chelsea were playing Bayern in the champions league when we arrived. We felt perfectly safe, even though there was a lot of inter team banter going on, and the buses were completely packed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hardly a day goes past without reports of break ins or Bike thefts . In UK even on campsites seems to be just as bad as France . We will be spending a lot of time in Germany and Austria this spring and just wonder what the statistics are We have toured France as well as Germany in the past and had no problems having taken normal precautions of alarming the van and securing bikes when unattended .....it just seems that lately there has been an increase of posts about various thefts and robberies .

With respect, to say that "Hardly a day goes past without reports of break ins or Bike thefts" is a hell of an overstatement. There are thefts and break ins of course but nowhere near as many as you suggest. I think one should always take reasonable precautions like using the alarm and locking things up, and moving on if a place looks a bit risky or you don't feel comfortable. But, its more important to enjoy your trips than spoil them by worrying too much. We have been touring Germany and France for four months a year for the last six years and had one attempted break in, not too bad, and of course we are insured.

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
With respect, to say that "Hardly a day goes past without reports of break ins or Bike thefts" is a hell of an overstatement. There are thefts and break ins of course but nowhere near as many as you suggest. I think one should always take reasonable precautions like using the alarm and locking things up, and moving on if a place looks a bit risky or you don't feel comfortable. But, its more important to enjoy your trips than spoil them by worrying too much. We have been touring Germany and France for four months a year for the last six years and had one attempted break in, not too bad, and of course we are insured.

Hi . Maybe I was making a bit of an overstatement but it was triggered by reading the post on overseas travel France about 4 bikes stolen all locked and chained from an aire at Carnon plage France and another member had a tale of theft of bikes in Belgium .
Yet another member had a tale of theft inCap Breton Aire in France . That comes after speaking to a bike dealer in York who said that a bike theft in the town was daily occurrence . Also there was a report on this forum a few days ago of a similar bike theft as well a break in on a CCC site over the bank holiday . To my mind that is a lot !

BFM14

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
what about the thousands of journeys undertaken each day/year that have no problems, then the number you are talking about are miniscule.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Germany seems safer to me, not saying it actually is as i don't know any statistics. Just gut feeling. Still keep stuff locked and hidden though, take no chances, present no opportunies. You have to accept what will be will be at some point or you wouldn't go anywhere.

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I don't actually know how many members this forum has and how many have had thefts or break ins . I suppose the statistics would be interesting and might be quite reassuring if anyone had the time to gather the data .

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi . Maybe I was making a bit of an overstatement but it was triggered by reading the post on overseas travel France about 4 bikes stolen all locked and chained from an aire at Carnon plage France and another member had a tale of theft of bikes in Belgium .
Yet another member had a tale of theft inCap Breton Aire in France . That comes after speaking to a bike dealer in York who said that a bike theft in the town was daily occurrence . Also there was a report on this forum a few days ago of a similar bike theft as well a break in on a CCC site over the bank holiday . To my mind that is a lot !

I think you see the problem a little out of proportion, You don't seem reassured but please don't let the small potential loss of a bike worry you to the extent that you cant enjoy your motor homing.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This book will keep you safe of your motorhome travels. Whether travelling at home or abroad, the information within is the key to your personal safety and security. (y)

Written exclusively for motorhomers, it show you how to minimise the threat to you, your family, and motorhome by making you aware of the security risks and offering practical advice on implementing simple preventative strategies. buy it on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorhome-Security-Handbook-James-Brown-ebook/dp/B005CDDHQY
Or get it a bit cheaper here. Link Removed

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
We have been going to Germany for the last 8 years with no problems at all, Austria and Switzerland as well, this year we will probably be in France and Holland most of the 6 weeks but take the same precautions as anywhere, lock the bikes anywhere we leave them , and when back at the van use a loop that is linked into the alarm system on a night through both bikes.
We have always felt very safe in fact probably more so than in the U.K.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
I had my bike stolen in Germany

in 1969! I'd chained it up outside the Evangelische Krankenhaus in Lippstadt while I went inside to work. When I came out it was gone! I had to walk home!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

rebellious 1

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Funster No
The fear of crime seems always to be worse than the the actual incidence of crime,that is the human nature.
I always feel secure in both Austria and Germany,even at night in large cities,but I have spent years working in urban city areas in the Midlands.
Take utmost precautions,be aware of surroundings and circumstances,and follow your instincts and you will be perfectly alright.Do not let your life be affected by undue concerns that may never happen.
Just keep a positive attitude.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
In Germany just now. There are so many bikes about, everywhere, they live on bikes, Why would they need to nick mine. I think I'd be just more than unlucky to be picked on.
Their bikes are what I'd call Panzermobikes, so over engineered they are laughable, mine looks like a weed ! Don't think it would appeal to their toerags.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Especially not in Munich! :D

We were in one of Munich's oldest bierkellars the other day enjoying a pint of weissebier and a plate of the local dish which includes (of course) sauerkraut. I happened to glance up at the lightshade above the trestle table and couldn't help noticing it was made of skin.

I thought it best not to pass comment.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
"We're all doomed I tell you":(

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We were in one of Munich's oldest bierkellars the other day enjoying a pint of weissebier and a plate of the local dish which includes (of course) sauerkraut. I happened to glance up at the lightshade above the trestle table and couldn't help noticing it was made of skin.

I thought it best not to pass comment.
I think I know where you mean, yup, I also noticed the lights, I was trying to work out if they were skin :D

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have never had any problems in Germany or Austria.

Toured Germany since we had our honeymoon there 28 years ago. We have been to Germany 4 times Since December 2014 and Austria for a week in March this year. No problems as usual. Returning at the end of June (Geldern).

I say no problems. Irish Travellers on British Reg plates had taken over a large part of the site in Aachen in December causing damage to the site, hooked-up and using site facilities without paying. I was uneasy about leaving the van and the alarm had been triggered when we returned but nothing damaged or stolen.

A couple of years ago, we were along the Mosel in summer. There was a wine festival taking place and at lunchtime, there was thousands of €uros of booze left around the town of Pölich that was almost deserted at the time. Bikes left unlocked, trailers with no hitchlocks, keys in car ignitions and even tomtoms left on the dash. Very safe I guess in certain parts. Don't try that in Berlin suburbs mind.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I had my bike stolen in Germany

in 1969! I'd chained it up outside the Evangelische Krankenhaus in Lippstadt while I went inside to work. When I came out it was gone! I had to walk home!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oooops.............sorry. I was a guest of 49 in Churchill and I had to get back.....................:rofl:
PS It's in the Lippe:crying1:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
If your bike lock is able to be snipped through with heavy duty clippers then you can never relax. When our bikes are on the bike they are secured with a solid link motorbike chain lock. It cost £25 but we have used it for ten years.

Expect to be robbed in Barcelona.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
It's one of those questions that crop up now and again, no statistics to rely on but lots of people who have heard of someone who has been robbed, and some who have been robbed themselves.
In my experience of travelling around the world and forty years of caravanning and now motorhoming in Europe I only know of three people who have had something stolen, one at a service area in France ( who ought to have known better than stay at one) one handbag stolen by a passing motorbike in Italy, and one whose bikes were stolen from the back of their motorhome ( which should have been locked on) As long as you take sensible precautions when travelling, you know don't let strangers get too close to you , keep them at arms length, lock up properly, don't park in stupid places, keep your wallet and passport in sight of you, not in a handbag hanging from your shoulder, you should be fine.
Just as many things get robbed in your own area as anywhere else.
Sorry to go on and on have finished now.
Etap

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I chain my generator to the rails in the back as that is valuable but heavy to run with unlike a bike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back