Bikes Stolen. (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
:cry:At Carnon Plage aire at the moment. Both of our bikes have been stolen overnight. Neighbours had theirs stolen too. Our were locked together to a tree with a strong combination lock. Neighbours had theirs locked to their step. Not amused as we have 8 weeks holiday left.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Really sorry to hear that. Ours have just arrived today (well one of them has but thats another story). How did they release the bikes. Cutting chain/cable? Picking the lock? Assuming they have left the remnants behind.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
We had the same thing here in Belgium.
They stole all the good bikes that where left at the tram stops.
They did catch a gang from the old easternblock steeling bikes.
When more than one go its normaly a gang to sell them on.
Mabe a simple alarm on the bikes that detects movement.
Sorry for your loss hope it does not totaly spoil your holiday.

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sorry about your bikes but a lock is only a deterrent to honest people, the scrotes that took your would just come along with big bolt cutters "snip""snip".

Get your selves to Decathlon and then enjoy your time away.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sods. Hope it doesn't spoil your break too much.

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
No remnants left behind on ours. Neighbours cable lock had been cut. It was a very thin one.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sorry to hear that. Probably Eastern European gangs. Couple of years before I left France there was a problem with metal garden furniture & tools being stolen.
Can you claim on insurance ?

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Not sure about insurance claim. Will have to check the policy when we get home. Doubt it though.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sorry to hear this, but quite common ..

It's no consolation, but we lost one at Capbreton aire.. all three bikes were secured with hardened lock and high quality security chain .. buggers stole mine, the best one, and left the two cheap bikes.. I recon they used a battery powered angle grinder to cut the chain.. that's how it looked ..

Police said thieves watched cyclists at the aire coming and going and targeted the good bikes..

Moral of this tale.. don't take good bikes.. any old bike will do for the back of a van..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Moral of this tale.. don't take good bikes.. any old bike will do for the back of a van..

Regretfully that is sound across the board advice today, from a camera to a MH. If it can be sold on then to some low life it's bonus time.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
And why it will high on my list of must haves when we change ours next year. I hope the bikes survive until then!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
A bit late I know but I'm sure you can get alarms that incorporate bike securing cables..

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Not sure about insurance claim. Will have to check the policy when we get home. Doubt it though.
Don't forget to get a crime number or equivalent from the police- you will probably need it if making a claim.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
No good to the poor people who have had there's nicked, but I had an attempted theft of my bikes on back of my RV in Portugal 3 years ago on xmas eve no less (Itinerant's) when I was broken down as well,, but I had them secured (lucky enough with a bike lock that they had already cut off and 2 big 1/2" thick wire hawser cables and I heard them when the pliers they were using slipped and hit the back of RV and woke me up but they were half way through it,,, so decided to have different type of securing and decided to have a Strikeback alarm (Vanbitz in Taunton fitted it) fitted to my motorhome now and that incorporates a simple wire loop that goes through any part of the bike and plugs back into the alarm system through simple trailer type lighting plug at back of motorhome, very simple but when cut (to steal bike) it sets of the motorhome alarm so immediately alerts you and anyone else in the area, so less chance of bikes being stolen, but still use my wire cables as well so I have 2 types of securing, 1 with the massive wire cables and giant padlock, and the 2nd with the small wire alarm. So far no attempt has been made again but at least the strikeback alarm will go off if they try.
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Our friends had their expensive mountain bikes chained to the fencing poles on their pitch at the clumber park caravan club site ,

They went for a walk and when they came back all that was left was the frames ,

This was in broad daylight ,

The warden said it was a regular thing ....

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Should chop their bloody hands off if they are caught red handed might be a bit of a deterrent.

Loved Blot on the Landscape they would have come up with a decent idea.

Really sorry for your loss, big garage will remain on our must have list and we dont leave them anywhere out of site.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
,,, so decided to have different type of securing and decided to have a Strikeback alarm (Vanbitz in Taunton fitted it)... - ...So far no attempt has been made again but at least the strikeback alarm will go off if they try.
Sounds like a good idea, especially for high end bikes - but I'm wondering how much extra cost something like this adds to the bill when having the Strikeback fitted?

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
My Sigma alarm mentions this in the manual. I'll have to look see if I can get this option enabled. ANyone know of a Sigma fitter in East Anglia?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We had bikes stolen off our first van they were nearly new we now just take some old bikes with us now well mentaned and will do the job we want.
We haven't had any problems and will continue to hope that they get stolen and replaced with better ones when the thieves take pity on us.
bill

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Sounds like a good idea, especially for high end bikes - but I'm wondering how much extra cost something like this adds to the bill when having the Strikeback fitted?

It costs about £625 with 1 locker armed + £30 extra for each of any other lockers, a small price to have complete peace of mind for securing not only your mh but your bikes or trailer as well,, but again its not the cost really but the peace of mind to be protected all round including your bikes/trailer or anything else you can wrap a cord around, and what about electric bikes, 1 can cost more than the alarm????!!!!!!!.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Has anybody got any suggestions for bike chain alarms? I am thinking of buying an electric bike to add to / replace my existing mountain bike, currently have two security chains but neither is alarmed

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
My Sigma alarm mentions this in the manual. I'll have to look see if I can get this option enabled. ANyone know of a Sigma fitter in East Anglia?
Just googled and found. Auto Electronics Kings Lynn 07831447505
May be of use.

Reactions: SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Just googled and found. Auto Electronics Kings Lynn 07831447505
May be of use.
Thanks for that, I will have a look. Just reading another post on e-bike security so there may be further help on that as well (y)

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Thanks for that, I will have a look. Just reading another post on e-bike security so there may be further help on that as well (y)
If you google Sigma alarm dealers! possibly find one closer to you.

Reactions: SMB

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Having your alarm linked through the bikes just tells you exactly what time they were nicked, but looking on the bright side it might stop your neighbours from loosing there's as one they will be up and awake and two the scrotes will have done a runner. Still reckon a garage is the best bet.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I hate to state the obvious but your tempting fate securing them to a tree or post.Overnight we put them back on the rack with a couple of locks one of which has a motion sensor and an alarm,a couple of long well tensioned bungees wrapped round the rack ,frames and through the wheels.If the dog doesn't hear them trying to get them off the wife will and I know which one I'd rather face.

Vlad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back