Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I'm a little bit tempted to attempt swapping my front disc pads. I've watched the youtube videos and my one remaining anxiety is the bit about pushing the piston back. Is it a piece of cake? Should I buy a tool? Is it best left to a grown up? My base vehicle is Fiat Ducato 2.3jtd 2004.

My main motivation is the frustration of ringing round to find people that will work on vehicles that are 3 metres high.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
You can damage the seals if you force the piston back in. These cheapo tyre places will put them in for about £10 -20 a wheel :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
its not hard just do it mane thing is don't force the pistons back just be carful and make sure every thing is clean
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I put a screwdriver between the old pad and the disc and lever the piston gently back, push it back just far enough so the gap will accept the thickness of the new pad, this will give you clearance to remove the old pad from the brake caliper, don't push it back too far or there is a good chance the brake fluid will spill out of the master cylinder.

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I took the wheels off my Ducato a couple of days ago - beware as they are very heavy and take quite a bit of moving around.

I use a woodworking G clamp like the ones below to push the pistons back on my car when I did them. It provides a steady and even pressure and used with a flat piece of wood slightly bigger than the piston, it works for me. (Take the lid off the brake fluid reservoir first).

Eurocarparts.com are worth trying for your parts - just put your reg number in and they will show the relevant parts for your vehicle. If you either click and collect from your local store or have them delivered direct, you will also benefit from trade prices.

They also have how to guides if you want any pointers which may help
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a tame tyre fitter who changes mine while I make him a cuppa ( After years of working on motors I got fed up with crawling around in the dirt.. I tend to limit my 'dirty' spannering to bikes now as I can just stick 'em up on my ramp ! )

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
A fairly easy job, don't do it without using axle stands though, vehicles can slip from jacks & make nasty things happen.
First take the cap off the master cylinder,for as you know the fluid will return to the cylinder when you ease the pistons back. It may be worth putting a rag around the top of the resevoir to catch any fluid that may leak.
Take out the pad retainers & ease the pistons back into the caliper. A screwdriver between pad & disc is a good start. Once you have a pad out ease the piston all the way back, be carful not to damage the seal around the piston. Clean out with a brake cleaner airasol & fit the new pad, repeat for the next pad & the other side wheel.
Check & if necessary top up the fluid. Job almost done !
Don't forget to pump the pedal to get the pads in contact with the disc BEFORE you try to drive off. Hitting the brakes & having the pedal go to the floor when you try to stop is not fun I can assure you.
Don't expect 100% efficiency straight away, the new pads will take time to bed into the contours of the disc, so drive accordingly.
Hope this helps your confidence.
Barrie.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Talking of brake pads ( slight thread jacking here ! ) anyone know what pads are fitted to the rears of a 2007 Autotrail Chieftain at all ?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
All of the advice so far is good, except....
Modern master cylinders on vehicles with ABS must not be pushed back. You need to open the bleed valve on the calliper and clamp the hose so the the fluid doesn't push back the master cylinder. Then use whatever tool you have handy to push back the calliper, G-Clamps work well.
The seals in a modern master cylinder can flip over if forced back. In 90% of cases you will be fine, if you flip them, you will have to take the cylinder apart to repair it.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
If you are not a competent mechanic or DIYer, I would leave it to someone who is, I saw some horrendous mistakes by so called mechanics when I was at work, brakes are not to be fiddled with lightly, your neck depends on them!!.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Talking of brake pads ( slight thread jacking here ! ) anyone know what pads are fitted to the rears of a 2007 Autotrail Chieftain at all ?
Try Eurocarparts, put your reg no. in and it should give you what you need and they have some good deals sometimes.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Try Eurocarparts, put your reg no. in and it should give you what you need and they have some good deals sometimes.
Just tried it.. Only offers standard Ducato parts..
True, for all I know at this stage they ARE standard Ducato ..
I have mailed Autotrail to see if they can come up with any onfo :)

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
All of the advice so far is good, except....
Modern master cylinders on vehicles with ABS must not be pushed back. You need to open the bleed valve on the calliper and clamp the hose so the the fluid doesn't push back the master cylinder. Then use whatever tool you have handy to push back the calliper, G-Clamps work well.
The seals in a modern master cylinder can flip over if forced back. In 90% of cases you will be fine, if you flip them, you will have to take the cylinder apart to repair it.
When pushing back the pads you are only pushing the piston back into the wheel cylinder not the master.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
When pushing back the pads you are only pushing the piston back into the wheel cylinder not the master.
Erm yes, but when you push back the wheel piston, the fluid behind it goes back to the master cylinder, that's why the level of fluid in the reservoir rises.
Opening the bleed valve and clamping the hose is now the recommended method to retract the pistons.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
See, if you were close to Mansfield I would say Geo at Pecks Hill Garage
(y)(y)(y)(y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just tried it.. Only offers standard Ducato parts..
True, for all I know at this stage they ARE standard Ducato ..
I have mailed Autotrail to see if they can come up with any onfo :)
I would think they would be standard Fiat ones, just depends what weight chassis our on, did mine-Hymer B584 on Fiat maxi chassis-couple of week ago, you should be able to find out what chassis your on from the chassis number, try a motor factor and get them to search for your chassis number.

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i have just done a full brake replacement on my hymer and as has already been mentioned it is not just a matter of obtaining parts listed for a fiat ducato. it can depend on the payload classification of the chassis . in my case there was a choice of 3 rear brake cylinders ,all looked the same but they had different internal bore dimensions ! the only sure way was to remove one and take out the piston and measure ! regards garry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The clue is the 'Chieftain' bit lads LOL !!

It is an Alko - Heavy with tag axle, GMW of 5.25 tonnes

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i have just done a full brake replacement on my hymer and as has already been mentioned it is not just a matter of obtaining parts listed for a fiat ducato. it can depend on the payload classification of the chassis . in my case there was a choice of 3 rear brake cylinders ,all looked the same but they had different internal bore dimensions ! the only sure way was to remove one and take out the piston and measure ! regards garry
Same with mine, mine where the largest eg 1800kg,
Got shoes and wheel cylinders from Eurocarparts and got new Mintex disc's and pads for £60 delivered of eBay :)
Jaws, sorry didn't know you where on an Alko chassis.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And Colin from Autotrail has just rang me (y)

They are standard Fiat Ducato hubs and callipers fitted.. so no problem at all as it turned out ( can get them local for pennies !!! )

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
And Colin from Autotrail has just rang me (y)

They are standard Fiat Ducato hubs and callipers fitted.. so no problem at all as it turned out ( can get them local for pennies !!! )
GERLING or Lockheed if you can get them john I payed a bit extra for my new back shoes and slave cylinders but I think worth that bit extra
bill

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Lockhead are great if you like disks to wear out as fast as pads ! They are nearly as bad as Greenpar
Lockhead are ok but I will stick to what I know.. EBC

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
If you are not the sure of what you are doing, then for a few £ get it done by someone who is.
1, wheels are heavy
2, if you have been topping the fluid up as the pads wear it is going to leak out the resequer.
3, possible damage to master cyclinder
4, posssible damage to piston seals
5, doing the wheel nuts back up to the right torqe.
6, and others i cant think of.

Just my opinion.
Steve

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
was thinking drums john sorry :(
Ahhh old skool !!
bugger those things. Mind you, still got my spring puller a mate liberated from Fords when his entire shift was fitting shoes on Cortinas !!

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Bernard, if you are still not sure go to Church Wharf Garage (off Bury new rd, nr Toyota) they can fit you in no probs, have used them in the past. Members of The Good Garage scheme.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back