Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Hopefully a simple question, is there such a thing :whistle:
After being dragged out of the mud at the Garstang meet, I was a little surprised to find out the hard way how little it takes to get stuck in the first place, I just have to buy a tow rope.
Sue loaned me a tow rope and Andy pulled me out of the mire, thanks again both.
Whilst returning the by now dirty but previously brand new tow rope I saw that it had a max tow weight of 2 tons yet it happily pulled my 3.5 ton van to drier land.
So the question is, are there differing weight ropes around and what would the experts suggest. :)

Many thanks in advance :).

Norman.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Whilst returning the by now dirty but previously brand new tow rope I saw that it had a max tow weight of 2 tons yet it happily pulled my 3.5 ton van to drier land.

I think a lot of it is Health & Safety and the manufacturer`s covering their backs...:RollEyes:

PS.... A well spliced 3/4 to 1 inch should pull you out of most places..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have a look on eBay loads for less than a tenner, take your pick(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
as strong as you can find but a old lorry rachet strap's are very good and role up nice and neat
bill
Beat me to it bill.
Nothing better.
Stitching on ratchet strap indicates towing capacity.
3 rows of stitching is 3 tons
4 rows is 4 tons
Etc.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Tow strap... Easier to store..
Think I had mine from B&M and not expensive...
Not sure on load but think it is 5 ton.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I use a nylon sling
4 meters long with a safe working load (SWL) of 2 tonnes
And 2 shackles SWL 3.5 tonnes
More than enough it has a breaking strain of 14 tonnes
If I remember correctly it cost about £15 for sling

Don't buy rubbish if you want a good one let me know and I will get you one from our local supplier who make them themselfs for crane hire company's

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ditto, Old "Span-strap".

But I do have 10M of 1/2" (Ok! 12.5mm) Kevlar. Rigging rope. "Acquired" in a previous existence! doubled up it stretches nicely when attached to a Mitsubishi 4WD!! pulling Daft Bu**ers, who won`t park where you "ask" them too, out of rally fields!!.

Pete

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If you are in to,"Road Kill",there are plenty of abandoned/jumped ship ? pieces of R/Straps on the highways and byways,these cost nothing.
Tea Bag aka Skip rat (Is it a DNA thing ? LOL)
PS. Even a new Tow Rope will have to be kept in a dustbin liner,so will,"Pre used".Sorted.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I got stuck in the mud several times at our previous storage site and had to be towed out by the farmer with his tractor. Just a thought but he used to have problems threading a strap through my Ducato towing eye, maybe a strong rope would be better?

Paul

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Before buying our first van john managed to get his car stuck on soft grass, eventually got it off using my car and several bike chains padlocked together. That christmas he bought me a tow rope took up to 2 ton I bought him one up to 3.5, fingers crossed have not needed to use them yet, although have been towed off a couple of rally fields using tractor and chain. Heavy one resides in the van no idea where mine is though.
sue

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
You all probably know,but,sometimes when tying off a rope on the Eye,when you get pulled out the knott ? can be very tight and you may have to use a "Rope Spanner" to get it off. So,i always carry 2.D links,one that will fit through the eye bolt and one for recovery of some poor old stuck person.
The only trouble you may have,is when the rope goes taut on the pull,WATCH it does not foul any dangly bits,like number plates,if you are doing the pulling.
Tea Bag.
PS. Before leaping to anyones assistance,try to gauge that in the event of structural damage occuring to the vehicle you are pulling,they will not........SUE!..Sad,but true.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I use a nylon sling

Don't buy rubbish if you want a good one let me know and I will get you one from our local supplier who make them themselfs for crane hire company's

It is amazing how many people have a good solid Tow Rope and tiny boat Mast Stay shackles from a Laser or some such boat

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Always watch how others are towed out first, and do try to get away under own steam. think bread boards may be going in the garage ;-)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I managed to get an ex-army 10tonne towing strap from eBay fro less than a tenner delivered.
It has galvanised shackles at the end that fit neatly through the Fiat towing eye. it has been tested as we got stuck at last years Saltfleet Gala.
As other have said it packs up nice and neat and sits on the step of the passenger door with the towing eye in the passenger door pocket. Nice and handy cos you don't want to be rummaging in the garage to find it cos you will most probably need it when it's peeing down! (Just like we did!)

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I am personally getting so fed up with life and things that it makes a lot of sense to me at present to sell the van and save loads of money, but, (y)
See other thread,

I would still have to have the toilet flush working to sell the thing :unsure:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hopefully a simple question, is there such a thing :whistle:
After being dragged out of the mud at the Garstang meet, I was a little surprised to find out the hard way how little it takes to get stuck in the first place, I just have to buy a tow rope.
Sue loaned me a tow rope and Andy pulled me out of the mire, thanks again both.
So the question is, are there differing weight ropes around and what would the experts suggest. :)

Many thanks in advance :).

Norman.
2 tonnes is the working capacity of the rope. In other words it could safely lift 2 tonnes. It takes a lot less to move a MH - I can push my Hymer along on flat tarmac.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
2 tonnes is the working capacity of the rope. In other words it could safely lift 2 tonnes. It takes a lot less to move a MH - I can push my Hymer along on flat tarmac.
Saved me typing that :)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
This is why I won't buy tow ropes the breaking strain is too low
By using slings designed for lifting operations they are built to a higher standard
A nylon sling with a SWL ( safe working load ) of 1 tonne is built to a 7 to 1 factor of safety
And is garanteed to not break with less then 7 tonne when new
More than enough for a occasional tow job
So my 2 tonne sling will play with a 4 tonne van all day long
You pay for what you get
Or as makams Mike did buy a genuine army recovery sling just make sure it's the real thing and new not used as you do t know if it's been abused

people tend to learn when they have had a sling break and come flying though your windscreen :love:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I got stuck in the mud several times at our previous storage site and had to be towed out by the farmer with his tractor. Just a thought but he used to have problems threading a strap through my Ducato towing eye, maybe a strong rope would be better?

Paul
Dont thread through the tow eye... Use D shackles at both ends.

They will fit almost every possible towing point.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
You can be stuck in deep mud on an uphill slope; you can be stuck on slippy grass on the flat. In the first instance you need a very strong rope, in the second you can get by with stitching your elastic bands together.

It makes sense to me to have a bag of stuff that you never want to use. For us it consists of a tow rope, warning triangle, rope ladder (for mud) tyre socks for snow, part baked bread (for when the frogs have daft holidays) and long life milk.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
You can be stuck in deep mud on an uphill slope; you can be stuck on slippy grass on the flat. In the first instance you need a very strong rope, in the second you can get by with stitching your elastic bands together.

It makes sense to me to have a bag of stuff that you never want to use. For us it consists of a tow rope, warning triangle, rope ladder (for mud) tyre socks for snow, part baked bread (for when the frogs have daft holidays) and long life milk.
We have beer barcadi wine and beer it seem to cope with most situations
And did I mention beer

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Of Course. IF you come up here to "Gods Country". the Sun Always Shines and the Grass Is Never wet!!!. and we don't know what Mud is.:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
I use a nylon sling

Sounds like a good idea as I'm near the rhubarb area, some suggest 10 mtrs long, would this company be able to do that, with 2 d shackles if so how much please, and could you assist me in this matter, cheers(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back