Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just got back Frome Southampton van had no problems running sweet
Parked the van up to unload it and it is dead as a dodo battery full charge all the lights in dash coming on but when I turn the key nothing
thinking ignition switch US
BILL

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Strange coincidence.....

On friday last i had the same fault on my car.

Pulled up at home then later tried to start....nowt, dead.

After a few electrical checks it was the solenoid trigger wire at the starter motor.....poor connection.

Cleaned it up and immediate start.

Nothing to lose by pulling off the wire and refitting.

If you are unsure which wire its the thin one, generally with a spade connector, and between the two heavy cables.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Strange coincidence.....

On friday last i had the same fault on my car.

Pulled up at home then later tried to start....nowt, dead.

After a few electrical checks it was the solenoid trigger wire at the starter motor.....poor connection.

Cleaned it up and immediate start.

Nothing to lose by pulling off the wire and refitting.

If you are unsure which wire its the thin one, generally with a spade connector, and between the two heavy cables.
There is no power from the cabal john had meter on it will turn over with a jumper cabal from battery
BILL

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Same on my Ducato last week. Same fault, exciter wire damaged internally at the solenoid. No voltage showing on the solenoid but started after a wiggle. Conductors inside cable broken up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Same thing happened to a car of ours All lights on dash worked, as did electric windows. When they checked the solenoid , it was ok. Turns out it was the earth strap in the end.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had a similar thing on the old G Reg. Someone on here (think it was ppj) said check the Earth Wire from the block to the Chassis

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If I've understood what I've read (and I often pick it up wrong lol) another vote for the main earth's. . block... hope you get it sorted bill.
Ta andy

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If I've understood what I've read (and I often pick it up wrong lol) another vote for the main earth's. . block... hope you get it sorted bill.
Ta andy
looked at the earth and put jump leads but no joy will speak to my friend at the auto electrics place
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Ta andy
looked at the earth and put jump leads but no joy will speak to my friend at the auto electrics place
bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Had a similar thing on the old G Reg. Someone on here (think it was ppj) said check the Earth Wire from the block to the Chassis

Ta andy

Bill checked for voltage at the starter solenoid using a meter so a bad/non existant earth would make no difference.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill checked for voltage at the starter solenoid using a meter so a bad/non existant earth would make no difference.
think solenoid could be US put livewire to solenoid spade nothing starter motor off tomorrow for testing
bill

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
When key tuned no power to wire ?
bill
I tested the voltage at the solenoid connection, nothing. I Bent the cable gently and there was a length of cable about 10mm from the connection where the cable bent easier due to the copper conductors having snapped within the sheaf. After that it started as I had made the conductors touch again by bending it.

I cut off the end 50mm of cable and reconnected with a new terminal crimped on. That'll do for now but I shall replace that whole length of cable between loom and solenoid.

Try starting it by putting a direct feed to the solenoid exciter terminal. If that starts it you can test the output from the ignition switch. If it turns out to be the ignition switch you have the choice of either replacement, or bypass the ignition switch starter terminals with a fused lead via a push button on the dash. Assuming the vehicle is reasonably modern it will only start with the key in the ignition due to the immobiliser.

I am sure I don't need to say this but make sure the van is not in gear when testing things(y)

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
No voltage at spade AND won't turn over when direct feed suggests bad earth. When you tested the feed to the solenoid did you measure the voltage between the spade and the engine block, or the spade and the chassis?

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
No voltage at spade AND won't turn over when direct feed suggests bad earth. When you tested the feed to the solenoid did you measure the voltage between the spade and the engine block, or the spade and the chassis?
didn't do that but off out to try bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In post #5 Bill says it WILL turn over if a jump lead is connected from battery to starter motor battery cable which eliminates a poor engine/chassis/starter earth.

He also said in post #9 there is no voltage at the trigger/exciter wire....presumably when the key is turned.

This all points to a faulty switch or a break in the exciter wire

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ok there is power to the solenoid when key is turned the earth is fine thinking solenoid shit its shelf starter motor will turn when bridged
thank's @papajohn @Bartyfixedit
bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Losing the plot Bill....?

At post #9 you said there was nothing at the trigger wire yet in post #19 you Insinuated you hadnt checked the voltage at the trigger wire....

Im confused !!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have you twatted the motor with a hammer.....

Sometimes the brushs can stick or possibly a dry/dirty segment on the commutator.

A belt with a hammer can sometimes sort it.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Losing the plot Bill....?

At post #9 you said there was nothing at the trigger wire yet in post #19 you Insinuated you hadnt checked the voltage at the trigger wire....

Im confused !!!
sorry for the confusion @papajohn the meter had its plugs in the wrong place some young chap ben messing with it so it was sowing 0 volts now when on exciter weir showing 12.80 volts
so that's taken a few things out of equation
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Have you twatted the motor with a hammer.....

Sometimes the brushs can stick or possibly a dry/dirty segment on the commutator.

A belt with a hammer can sometimes sort it.
off out with the hammer john we don't have a hammer smiley for mech tech section :Eeek:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I now have the starter motor on the top of frige freezer in kitchen and the wife fusing with news papers and old sheets
operating theatre nearly ready for surgery
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
thank you to every one who posted help on this thread very helpful in finding the problem the old bus is running better than I could have imagined never missed a beet till I unloaded her
@Bartyfixedit @Ralph-n-Bev @andy63 @rangitira @DawnB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back