Dvb-t2 Hd Free View Televisions. (1 Viewer)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Reading an advert for Avtex televisions it says that "only Tv's with DVB-T2 built in will receive any HD Freeview channels in addition to all the standard Free view channels, through an aerial without the need for a set top box"
For clarification, I assume normal digital (so called hd ready and full hd) TV sets will continue to receive standard Freeview channels? What about HD on freesat, will we get HD on satalite that does not use DVB-T2 technology?
Anybody any ideas?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
For HD via satellite you need a DVB-S2 receiver I think , don't know about Freesat but I would think that's the same.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
For HD via satellite you need a DVB-S2 receiver I think , don't know about Freesat but I would think that's the same.

Thanks. Is not "satellite" the same as freesat, is that not what you receive using your satellite system?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You can either get Freesat or Free to Air via satellite depending which receiver you have. I haven't found any HD chanels on free to air although my receiver is an HD one, I seem to remember that I got itv hd but it didn't have any sound!

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
You can either get Freesat or Free to Air via satellite depending which receiver you have. I haven't found any HD chanels on free to air although my receiver is an HD one, I seem to remember that I got itv hd but it didn't have any sound!

Ok, thanks, don't use satellite a lot as you can tell!!
Do you get HD on Freeway and are both on the same frequency and satellite position? Thanks for the help so far. :happy:

roadrunner2

Free Member
May 31, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 1990
Hi, where I live I can receive signals from various transmitters, so I have to manually tune my TV to my local transmitter. The DVB-T is for non HD channels and the DVB-T2 is for HD channels. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi, where I live I can receive signals from various transmitters, so I have to manually tune my TV to my local transmitter. The DVB-T is for non HD channels and the DVB-T2 is for HD channels. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Sort of!
What happens when all major channels go HD, which no doubt they will, will they still transmit non HD and if so will we then need to either have set top boxes on our existing sets or change to DVB-T2 TVs? (If you get what I mean!!)

roadrunner2

Free Member
May 31, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 1990
Most of the major channels have Freeview HD option. But considering how many channels are available now and with Super HD starting to appear. I think it will be a very long time before every channel transmits exclusively in HD. But if your TV has Freeview HD option, apart from having to an occasional retune due to new channels being added, (such as Spike, that was added recently) you will not have to worry as your TV will sort the DVB-T and the DVB-T2 channels out. You will only need to manually tune your TV when you get picture breakup on various channels. This is caused by the Auto tune selecting the same channel from another transmitter. As is the case where I live. Have I confused you even more????
In the very unlikely event that every TV channel is transmitted in HD. Then you will have to change your set top box if it can't get receive HD channels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I believe the TV in the van, and others at home are DVB-T despite them stating they are either HD ready or Full HD. If that's the case I don't think they will pick up HD from a DVB-T2 transmition. Mine and millions of others will be in the same boat when the major channels only transmit HD, and that might come quicker than expected.
Not much is being said about it from what I can see.

Last edited by a moderator:

roadrunner2

Free Member
May 31, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 1990
Only TV's or set top boxes Marked Freeview + HD can received HD channels. HD ready means that you can connect a external device that has an HDMI output. That will then connect to the HDMI input of the TV. Full HD is know normally as 1080p and I think HD ready is about 720p.
Any digital TV will pick up DVB-T channels. But unless it clearly states Freeview + HD as well, you will not get HD channels. HD has been around for a long time now and it's only recently that more channels are adding as an HD option. The chances of all channels going HD with no standard Digital being available, are in my view non existent. It's like DAB car radio replacing analogue radio in cars. Yes may be in 20 years time. But at the present time, I don't think you have any thing to worry about.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Thanks. So what you are suggesting is the add from Avtex is misleading and scaremongering then?
Hope so.
:happy:

roadrunner2

Free Member
May 31, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 1990
I have not seen the add from Avtex, but from your post, I think they mean Freeview + HD. So I can only assume that if they say it will receive DVB-T2. The TV will find all DVB-T & DVB-T2 Channels. Which is the same as Freeview + HD
I'm sure any store selling TV's will explain more.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back