I Think A Solo Trip Across The Water Is In Order (1 Viewer)

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Been separated nearly 18 months now. Had crazy and sometimes terrible time but now living on my own at the family home thanks to an understanding wife.

Still got our lovely van too so thinking about a holiday as I have nothing booked. it will have to be a cheap affair though hopefully before august. I loved the mosel but don't know if I will go there on my own too many memories.

Still love the continent and been many times and so cant wait for the break.

Phill

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Quite a long time ago a Funster I won't give the username here even if he is not a member on here anymore, was in a big pain, having lost his beloved wife (not exactly the same case here...I would even add... fortunately for both of you).
He wanted to escape the house and all the memories of it but could not find a good reason to take the plunge.
P&G tea bags happened to be the solution. I wanted some..... he brought them.

He just had to find some reason good enough to him to finally DO it!

Why not think about the places you always wanted to visit which she didn't really agree on...if any of course, and give them a go?

Hope you'll find some energy to find Your Solution!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Been there and got the T shirt. First holiday on your own is really strange, you will feel really lonely at first so I would suggest you just do a week a first, I found 2 weeks too long. Things that worked for me, boxed sets, evenings are the worst, menu du jour, eating out at night is horrible, lunchtime is different, you normally ended up chatting to someone. I used the aires a lot, always someone to chat to.
This year I'm trying my first 3 weeks away (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I've been travelling solo for a few years and love it.
Off to France next week - ferry to Dunkerque then......... who knows? - I don't!
Aires with the occasional municipal - just follow my nose - always discovering interesting places and people.
OK - it would be nice to have someone in that passenger seat sometimes but it's not to be so I adapt to what I have.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
First times are always the hardest but once you have done it you know better what work's for you. Why not join in with one or two Fun meets always solo's on those . Have a good trip.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Been separated nearly 18 months now. Had crazy and sometimes terrible time but now living on my own at the family home thanks to an understanding wife.

Still got our lovely van too so thinking about a holiday as I have nothing booked. it will have to be a cheap affair though hopefully before august. I loved the mosel but don't know if I will go there on my own too many memories.

Still love the continent and been many times and so cant wait for the break.

Phill
I was in a similar situation as yours some years ago but I had the kids for company. All I can say is life gets much better with time and new memories will evolve. Enjoy your holiday.(y)

OP
OP
iceni

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
First times are always the hardest but once you have done it you know better what work's for you. Why not join in with one or two Fun meets always solo's on those . Have a good trip.

Thanks
yes coming to Thetford in a couple of weeks
I went to Stratford last year with the "other lot" and it was very sad as this was my first time away without her. I live on my own now so used to my own company but holidays were our wind downs as we both have stressful jobs. Niether of us get them now.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Yes, first trip on your own is difficult but the experiences take over and become your new memories. I went back to Africa about 7 months after my partner died ( albeit with my best friend and her son) she more or less made me book it and I'm glad she did. Another friend flew with her 2 year old to Australia 2 months after her husband died---I am still in awe of her strength.

France is easy with a motorhome. 1000s of campsites and Aires to choose from.
And later in the year why not come along to a Fun meet? You'll always be made welcome, with plenty of like minded Funsters.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thanks
yes coming to Thetford in a couple of weeks
I went to Stratford last year with the "other lot" and it was very sad as this was my first time away without her. I live on my own now so used to my own company but holidays were our wind downs as we both have stressful jobs. Niether of us get them now.

Now that really will be a livley meet, Jaws really knows how to do a fun meet. if you can get to Stratford with Fun this year I am sure there are lots going on .

OP
OP
iceni

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Cabetweenost: 1407934 said:
Now that really will be a livley meet, Jaws really knows how to do a fun meet. if you can get to Stratford with Fun this year I am sure there are lots going on .
I am torn between stratford and the model aircraft show at weston park on the same weekend but weston want £60 for the weekend. Its pricey when its only me and no discounts. Still undecided

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Cant offer any words of wisdom iam afraid, i can understand where your coming from. Maybe meet up with you somewhere, sometime and tell a yarn or two over a beer.
Steve

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
the first step is the hardest. Lots of friendly people out there. Maybe see if any funsters will be in an area you are traveling through for a meet up. Never abroad, but used my romahome on my own for several years. Good luck

t660

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
bury lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 1999
Hi all, just had 3 week over the channel just me and my 2 dogs had a great time in France and Belgium used both aires and campsites the aires seem to be the place to meet people who want to stop and chat, like Isaid earlier had agreat time so I recommend anyone to go for it.

Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
Some lovely words offered here, I like the tea bags idea, I'm driving to Orkney from down south and spending a week there from 12th July then slowly driving around and south again. Does anyone need any tea bags?
Or maybe I should say does anyone need help drinking up their Glenmorangie?
I can't think of anything from down south that the Scottish would want!
I live round the corner from Bombay Saffhire Gin, does that count?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Been there and got the T shirt. First holiday on your own is really strange, you will feel really lonely at first so I would suggest you just do a week a first, I found 2 weeks too long. Things that worked for me, boxed sets, evenings are the worst, menu du jour, eating out at night is horrible, lunchtime is different, you normally ended up chatting to someone. I used the aires a lot, always someone to chat to.
This year I'm trying my first 3 weeks away (y)

whilst happily married (25th anniversary in a few week) when I retired I had to stump up the courage to go away on my own with wife flying over during college holidays. it was either that or vegetate at home through a cold winter. have done 3 trips to Spain now. As Clive said days are fine as always loads of people around to talk to, then there's cycling, shopping, swimming and all the housework to keep you occupied. But evenings not the same om your own.... The driving I quite enjoy as quicker and easier.

You have just got to bite the bullet and go, you will not regret it I am sure....Like many we go to Benidorm as its cheap, busy and alive year round. and the micro climate wonderful. Heading on our yearly month in Italy together in July :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back