Free Member
Jan 11, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi all I am setting off on my first trip to Europe next week, I'm a little bit nervous about it,
Is there any must haves I should bring with me . It is my wife a 3 yr old and myself traveling.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wouldn't worry but make sure you have a two pin adaptor for your electric hook up as you will need it in many places.

With a three year old you have the pass key - the French (and almost everyone on that side of the Channel) love kids.

You can drink the water, avoid Cheval meat in the supermarket unless you want to be adventurous. Also, unless your French is very good avoid traditional butchers as you might find nothing is on display and you have to ask. And mince will be minced for you. Easier in supermarkets if not perhaps very traditional. Bread you do buy if you can from a proper bread shop.

That's it really. Just drive on the right and be mega-careful in towns as cars may pull out from the right without looking - check right of way at every junction and don't assume because you are on the straight Road you have right of way.

And take a corkscrew. Yes, they really do still sell wine sealed with a bit of tree. That great Aussie invention, the screw top, hasn't really caught on yet.

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
There are three things you need to take with you. Sense of humor, an open mind and a zest for adventure.
Don't worry you will be fine. Enjoy the experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
First week of our first time in France with MH and do far all been well but as we are over 3.5t can't get into some of the villages we wanted to visit
Take your time and enjoy and you will be fine

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
First week of our first time in France with MH and do far all been well but as we are over 3.5t can't get into some of the villages we wanted to visit
Take your time and enjoy and you will be fine
Do what the French do, ignore them. They are to stop large vehicles going through the villages they won't object to Motorhomes coming in to spend money.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I wouldn't worry but make sure you have a two pin adaptor for your electric hook up as you will need it in many places.

With a three year old you have the pass key - the French (and almost everyone on that side of the Channel) love kids.

You can drink the water, avoid Cheval meat in the supermarket unless you want to be adventurous. Also, unless your French is very good avoid traditional butchers as you might find nothing is on display and you have to ask. And mince will be minced for you. Easier in supermarkets if not perhaps very traditional. Bread you do buy if you can from a proper bread shop.

That's it really. Just drive on the right and be mega-careful in towns as cars may pull out from the right without looking - check right of way at every junction and don't assume because you are on the straight Road you have right of way.

And take a corkscrew. Yes, they really do still sell wine sealed with a bit of tree. That great Aussie invention, the screw top, hasn't really caught on yet.
This made us laugh about the butchers - our first trip to Normandy, I asked my wife to run into the butchers whilst I sat in the van outside.
About half an hour later, she returned saying they must have been closing as they had nothing on display. The butcher spoke no English and she spoke no French so got by with making 'moo' noises and pointing to her arse.
She came out with two big fillet steaks and EUR20 odd lighter!
I said he must have thought you had a big arse!
Having said that, it was the nicest steak I've had.
Enjoy your trip - I'm sure you'll love it.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Some supermarkets in France will let you park overnight free- there will be signs- handy for a long journey if you can't find an aire. Confusingly the French motorway stops are also called aires- ! Not suitable to stop in as not crime free.I assume you have checked the vans emissions etc and have the required ticket for Germany ( we didn't last year had to change plans) low emission zones. Continental campsites are just fab- enjoy the trip xx

Upvote 0

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
know how you feelo_O but you`ll soon get use to driving on the wrong side of the road .I just followed the traffic for a few hours ended up getting :oops: but hey !! on holiday all part of the fun.Enjoy !! france is a great country to tour !!

Upvote 0

paulel

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Brittany
Funster No
MH
Hymer E650
Exp
New
[QUOTE="
That's it really. Just drive on the right and be mega-careful in towns as cars may pull out from the right without looking - check right of way at every junction and don't assume because you are on the straight Road you have right of way.[/QUOTE]
In France if there is no give way or stop sign on any road to your right, they have right of way. They do not have to look for traffic coming from the left because it's their right of way. I know it's a stupid rule but that's the way it is. Having said that, don't worry about it, just be careful. I've lived here for 6 years and only had one near miss!

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
image.jpg
. This makes the 1500 mile trip from North of Scotland to South West of France worthwhile

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back