Usb Socket (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Fed up with cigar socket type adapters in van, plugs fall out as your travelling and do get hot and most connectors are now USB so am going to hard wire USB sockets around the motorhome.
What do you guys on here suggest i use as a lot of these sockets are now available but of differing quality, want something thats not going to overheat!
Thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Problem, they take a little power even when not in use, my single fixed one sports a switch.

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Problem, they take a little power even when not in use, my single fixed one sports a switch.
Just googled a few units and not much of a mention of standby power in the small print but have found they use 15mV, so thanks for that. So any USB on a permanent feed i will indeed put a switch in, surprised they don't do a switched USB socket

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
if you have a standard house type double socket , you can replace it with one that has an integral USB charging point , it looks like the normal socket that you have in the home but it has an additional usb port , you can pick them up from companys such as Newey,s

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
$_12.JPG

I mounted one of these behind the kids seats, to allow them to charge tablets whilst driving.

Couple of scotchlocks and straight into the 12v lighting circuit - easy.

Broken Link Removed

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We had two 12v sockets in the dash so I copied @Techno100 's idea and swapped one of them for a twin usb outlet from eBay. Because the existing power to these sockets is isolated by the ignition so it doesn't matter whether they draw standby power or not. I've never heard that they do though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I have a USB adapter that fits into a cigar lighter. If I wire up a cigar lighter to the leisure battery, will it draw power all the time when not in use ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Couple of milliamps....i wouldnt lose sleep over it.

I dont have any in the rv yet but have a double usb outlet in the car...1a and 2.1a
more concerning is the canbus relay bypass unit in the boot....permenantly connected with a bright red (on) led.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
$_12.JPG

I mounted one of these behind the kids seats, to allow them to charge tablets whilst driving.

Couple of scotchlocks and straight into the 12v lighting circuit - easy.

Broken Link Removed
Thats what i have under my car dash to feed the dash cam and SATNAV....connected to fag lighter socket.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
cak tanks do one that is in the style of your present mains plug , just fitted one, looks in keeping , like its been there all the time, coooool

Broken Link Removed

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a spare double usb as used by techno in my garage so just tested it. At 12v it draws 24.5mA with nothing plugged in. This is pretty negligible, it will draw approx 1Ah from your batteries over a 40 hour period.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back