Overseas Travel And Vehicle Breakdown Insurance. (1 Viewer)

Wixie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
M/H 5 years, 35+ years camping & caravaning
I currently use the "Red Pennant" travel and vehicle breakdown insurance from the Caravan Club for trips to Europe.
The policy costs us approx £330 per year in addition to the £46 Caravan Club membership fee.
Although this insurance is a very good product, it is getting increasingly expensive particularly as we do not use the CC 's sites or services.
I would be interested to know what insurance Funsters use when travelling overseas. Are there cheaper policies offered by other organisations or companies?
Looking forward to your replies.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i use cpmfort which includes all my overseas journey and full breakdown in europe and uk my polisy at the moment is £340 i have never found anything to do with the cc to be cheap

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
Comfort Insurance: Fully comprehensive with European Breakdown protected no claim etc. £339 this year all inclusive. Never had to use them thankfully but Comfort normally voted as very good by users!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I use Safeguard, this policy includes UNLIMITED European travel & cover. We also got a discount for storing our MH with a CaSSOA registered facility. Our premium for the year is just under £300.00. Superb value.
Thanks Antony

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I am very interested in this topic,however,the sums quoted by the members who use Comfort are. £339 and £340,have to add £46 for CC membership fee.
I have NO axe to grind with Comfort,all my enquiries about insurance with them have been first class and everything explained fully,so it would appear that the CC are not to far off the mark.
We are not with either company at the moment,but would like a member to post about ADAC ? I would like to know what a similar package,if possible, with them would cost. Thanks in advance for any info.
Tea Bag.

OP
OP
Wixie

Wixie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for all quick your replies.
Does the Comfort and Safeguard European cover include travel insurance i.e. medical insurance, etc or is it just vehicle breakdown cover? If not what do you use for medical cover, etc?
The CC Red Pennant does cover everything - European m/h breakdown, medical cover, hospital & hotel costs & vehicle repatriation and personnel recovery. Maybe that's why it's more expensive.

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
The cover with Comfort Insurance is for 365 day breakdown cover AND fully comprehensive Motorhomes insurance for a 4 ton Adria Coral 7.2 metre. Travel health insurance is NOT COVERED and a separate item entirely. We have also found both main clubs good but mote expensive. Hope this helps.

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
We are finding annual multi-trip insurance for my wife and I has rocketed since we both reached 65 with a few not very serious health problems. We were paying prior to reaching 65 around £350 for both of us NOT EACH but we're then quoted virtually double when the renewal came through having both reached 65. We have never made a claim on any health policy. They also restricted the length of time limiting to 60 days in any one trip.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
ADAC .. about €100 .. for partner plus.. covers us in any vehicle in Europe or Morocco.
Can't imagine any of those others come close to be honest .. there are plenty if posts on the services you get with ADAC partner plus ..
I have this years renewals to sort out this week so I'm glad this reminded me

### I have just put an adac conditions booklet copy in resources as a download if that helps.. it's not the latest but it's pretty accurate ###

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi sdc77.
We will be giving them a ring,when we import m/h into Portugal, thanks for the info. I did not want to hijack the thread,but you cannot beat first hand knowledge.Thanks again.
Tea Bag
PS. Get it SORTED !LOL

OP
OP
Wixie

Wixie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks again for all the very interesting info.
I thought maybe the Comfort policy did not include the Travel insurance element. Still very good value however. One of us has reached the 65 mark this year, so it will be interesting to see if the CC use it has an excuse to raise the renewal premium. We will certainly look to switch then if possible.
I'm also going to look into the ADAC policy .....providing it's all in English, to see if they do the "Travel/Personal" element as well.

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I have just insured my M.H with motorhome facts insurance and got European Breakdown cover for £59.00.
I enquired about Red Pennant as we are going to France next with the CC,but to expencive.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The last I heard ADAC not taking on new members from the UK but I suggest calling them on their German number (they speak English) and see if you strike lucky.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
They do take on new members ...
You've done it recently? Things have changed if they have. Last year they were letting people renew but not join. Good news if they are now allowing us in. They are probably the best.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have just insured my M.H with motorhome facts insurance and got European Breakdown cover for £59.00.
I enquired about Red Pennant as we are going to France next with the CC,but to expencive.
MH Facts is Comfort, same girl answers the phone.
We use Comfort, at the monent the van is still under warranty but will take the Comfort Breakdown cover when it runs out, £58 and it's done through the RAC.

For Medical cover we use our Lloyds Bank account covers up to 80 years old, and probably has one of the longest list of pre-existing medical problems you don't need to declare.

Lloyds info
Broken Link Removed

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Regarding Adac.. There has never been a policy apparently of no British joiners.. Just some posts on some forums and some rumour. Easiest way is to just call and ask.. Have your payment card handy as the only way to join is by phone... Watch this space and I'll ask them either later today or tomorrow when I renew.. For that final final final.... final.. :D.. answer

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
We' been with ADAC For a few years. They're great, never had anything but the best service. However last call out we had to deal with the AA . They're ADACs UK partner. They were atrocious. Took endless calls from both ADAC and us for any response. Sent two wrong breakdown trucks, hassled up front for emailed confirmation of ability to pay extra towing ( how do you do that by the side of the road?) took 24 hours for appropriate response.
I'm opening a Nationwide Flexplus account - the £10 a month fee will give me Brittania European cover and other benefits. Slightly more than ADAC Partner Plus but I'll not have to deal with the discourteous, inefficient AA

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
....I'm opening a Nationwide Flexplus account - the £10 a month fee will give me Brittania European cover and other benefits. Slightly more than ADAC Partner Plus but I'll not have to deal with the discourteous, inefficient AA

That's what I've done, dirt cheap if you can leave £2500 in your account that gives 3% interest....£75 a year. Costs you a tenner a month in account fee's. Take one from another and I'm getting Europe wide breakdown cover, travel insurance and a whole host of other benefits for £45 a year - can't be bad?

Opened the account using some sort of Skype affair in branch, got the advisor to confirm (and note next to my account) that motorhomes over 7.5m and 3.8t Are covered...happy chappy!

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
If you have a FORD you get(Ford Assist) FREE breakdown throughout Europe. Had had to use it a couple of times great.

I know nothing of Fiat but don't there do a "Fiat assist " scheme?

colyboy

Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just upgraded through caravan guard .£48.00 per year full e.u ,not sure who they send out when you breakdown but looks ok to me . There standard insurance come with uk assistance as standard.

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
We just joined ADAC last week for the first time. Payment taken and cards
arrived by the end of last week. No problems staff very helpful and English speaking.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
The only problem with ADAC is that everything they send you by post is in German, so difficult for me to decipher, I was told that there had been many requests for English documentation and letters, but don't hold your breath.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
I renewed ADAC membership last month, I also asked for copy of Ts&Cs in English which I received, and also cancelled the monthly magazine which is in German.

Eric

OP
OP
Wixie

Wixie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry for the delay in replying. Many thanks for this additional information.
Switching bank accounts could be problematic as I'll lose existing benefits with current bank. Something to consider however.
I'll investigate the ADAC lead next week.

geoffrey brooke

Free Member
May 9, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2001
ADAC unbeatable...best price...eastern european countries covered and morocco. had to use them for a uk breakdown in my old merc slk.....call routed to AA...on my way in 90 mins,
english speaking but monthly mag is only in german
Would recommend to every motorhomer...coverd all cars and all family members...less than £90 per year

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Got to be careful here because, from memory, Red Pennant is much more than just a breakdown insurance, which is what most others are comparing it with. It is also a travel insurance, which is different. So it covers delays to ferries, cost of missing your ferry, luggage, accidents, hospital or doctors fees etc etc. We used to use it for our annual trip to France when we had the caravan and kids.

Now we have a good travel insurance free with our bank account, and we get a good deal on breakdown insurance including Europe that is included with our motorhome insurance from Safeguard. So we don't need Red Pennant.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry for the delay in replying. Many thanks for this additional information.
Switching bank accounts could be problematic as I'll lose existing benefits with current bank. Something to consider however.
I'll investigate the ADAC lead next week.
I didn't change accounts -opened another costs 120 a year no minimum input and benefits well over £10 a month

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We are finding annual multi-trip insurance for my wife and I has rocketed since we both reached 65 with a few not very serious health problems. We were paying prior to reaching 65 around £350 for both of us NOT EACH but we're then quoted virtually double when the renewal came through having both reached 65. We have never made a claim on any health policy. They also restricted the length of time limiting to 60 days in any one trip.
I know this thread is not strictly health insurance, but this is an excellent site for compareing them
https://www.google.co.uk/compare/tr...dit&q=AIqED2QWB_7CohW2zCW-LBaEz6k&pref=XTVTW6

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back