Free Member
Mar 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey autograph
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thinking of getting a Garmin Devl, any body got any new views on it? Getting it for Europe mostly.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
+1 for the dezl 560..still don't know my way round every feature on it and most probably never will but has seldom let me down and was a godsend in spain and Portugal earlier in the year... lifetime map updates( which equates to 4 updates a year I think)...
ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have a 560 (slightly smaller version of the 760) and rate it higher than either the previous car-type Garmin I had in the motorhome, or the (ridiculously expensive) built-in unit in my Subaru.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Got the 760 Camper and in the main it is good......but!
Every now and again it comes up with daft routes taking us round miles of motorway instead of a much shorter and perfectly good A road. When you take that good A road Garmin keeps trying to take you back to its preferred route, often via narrow lanes.
If you are not familiar with an area a look at an old fashioned map to check the route is a good idea.

Score 7/10.

Richard.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Got the 760 Camper and in the main it is good......but!
Every now and again it comes up with daft routes taking us round miles of motorway instead of a much shorter and perfectly good A road. When you take that good A road Garmin keeps trying to take you back to its preferred route, often via narrow lanes.
If you are not familiar with an area a look at an old fashioned map to check the route is a good idea.

Score 7/10.

Richard.
Have you set it to give you two route options before you start? There is a setting to prompt you whether to choose fastest time or shortest distance. As it's designed for lorries, it will tend to prioritise motorways (unless you have set it to avoid tolls when abroad of course). Even when you choose shortest distance, it will still go for larger roads over small ones.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We recently purchased the 760 LMT-D Camper in a Halfords Flash Sale saving a considerable amount over RRP, updated maps and used it for the first time over the bank holiday. Admittedly, not the most taxing of routes, set it to "fastest time" and it favoured M-ways / fast A roads etc. More impressively, when approaching Lincoln on Friday the A46 was closed due to some shenanigans with mass traffic build up, which the Traffic feature masterfully bypassed via an alternate route on both country and urban roads (none were inappropriate for vehicle).

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Getting a bit annoyed with our dezl 760, well I don't think its the device rather than the Garmin software. Having problems entering some Spanish addresses, not sure whether ALL Garmin devices software is the same but on entering a town,street or post code you get a keyboard displayed then as you start entering the information the keyboard appears to try and predict what you are trying to type and either highlights or greys out certain letters or numbers, not so good :( if a latter you require to spell out the place is greyed out. :madder:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
but on entering a town,street or post code you get a keyboard displayed then as you start entering the information the keyboard appears to try and predict what you are trying to type and either highlights or greys out certain letters or numbers, not so good :( if a latter you require to spell out the place is greyed out. :madder:

Noticed that problem on our previous car Garmin sat nav however was, generally, because I spelt it "wrong" - ie not the same way as Garmin! Having said that was always able to get round it by changing to postcode or street name (the opposite of what I was using).

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Have you set it to give you two route options before you start? There is a setting to prompt you whether to choose fastest time or shortest distance. As it's designed for lorries, it will tend to prioritise motorways (unless you have set it to avoid tolls when abroad of course). Even when you choose shortest distance, it will still go for larger roads over small ones.
Have always set it for fastest route as previous sat-nags, Garmin or TT, tried to take us through all sorts of daft short cuts when programmed for shortest route.
If it will keep us to sensible roads I will give shortest route a try and see what happens.
Thanks Phillip.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back