Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
With all the big cities falling over themselves to bring in diesal charges I wonder how long before motorhome manufacturers will take to start producing petrol models? I was thinking of changing ours but I'm going to wait and see how this latest judgment to clean air quality goes as I have the feeling it will get expensive

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
To change you will have to sell so may not be that easy and l must admit this charge is not good news and what about all the haulage firms and small companies with diesal l think there may be a major problem. Diesel is the workhorse of the roads

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The motorhome companies won't have any say in the matter unless they are going to start producing their own base vehicles. Charges won't make any difference to Mercedes or the SEVEL group, I can't see them producing petrol vans anytime soon. The vehicles aren't produced specifically for the UK market so there's no reason for them to change anything.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Simple solution....avoid the city's involved.

No skin off my nose as i avoid them now.

Agree there. Never even thought about taking the motorhome into the middle of any big city and can't think of any reason why I would want to.

OP
OP
Toe toe

Toe toe

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
But once the big cities all start charging I bet all the small town halls will want their cut I have read today that London want to charge £10.00 for all diesal vehicles

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The motorhome companies won't have any say in the matter unless they are going to start producing their own base vehicles. Charges won't make any difference to Mercedes or the SEVEL group, I can't see them producing petrol vans anytime soon. The vehicles aren't produced specifically for the UK market so there's no reason for them to change anything.

Most merc sprintes sold in the states are petrol.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
loads of petrol motorhomes in America--------can you really imagine all our HGVs running on petrol--that would be going back 50 years

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Most merc sprintes sold in the states are petrol.

I think most of vehicles sold in the States in general are petrol aren't they? Look at all the RVs with huge petrol engines. The difference being the cost of fuel.

A petrol engine powerful enough to drag a 3.5 - 4 ton motorhome around is going to be how big and achieve what mpg?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't just avoid cities in the motorhome, I avoid them altogether. If I absolutely must visit a city then I go by train and leave as soon as I can.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
If they bring this in there is going to a lot of left hand drive vans being re-registered on the continent

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Will this effect everything run on diesel? Or just to do with co2 emissions? Very sad we have just bought a diesel car :cry:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Remember it's only politicians sounding off at the moment so don't take it too seriously.

If they ever get to the point of trying to formulate something to implement it will have to be emissions based. My car is a 2 litre diesel and has very low emissions. I don't know what the figure is but my VED is £30 per year. If I remember correctly the emissions figures for it are lower than most, if not all, of the petrol versions of it that they make. The muppets suggesting this won't have thought of that, and probably wouldn't understand it anyway.

Worry about it if anyone sensible ever starts talking about it (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back