Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starspirit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Original post now deleted as this is ongoing matter with authorities but I now have found out that previous owner sold it to haulage co. As clutch and other things going wrong but it was as a commercial van. Is it legal to convert a van like that to an autosleeper symbol without their permission?... This just seems to get worse......

OP
OP
reenag06

reenag06

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starspirit
Exp
I'm a newbie
It isn't far fetched I can assure you. Bought it as a/s symbol 2003 with 37,000 miles on clock then found out it done 114,000 then found out this morning it was sold as commercial vehicle!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Definitely contact Autosleeper and get their answer in writing.

If it was done without their permission I can see even more trouble for the vendor brewing as Autosleeper will be rather annoyed (putting it mildly) - infringement of trademark, possibly patent, and all sorts of other stuff starts to appear.

Counterfeit goods are always fun for the police and trading standards..... and once they have one case who knows where it will end up?

Good luck.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'm sorry, didn't mean to imply you were wrong but I would still contact Autosleepers ... it may well have been converted by A/s but registered commercially for some reason .... hope you can sort it soon.

OP
OP
reenag06

reenag06

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starspirit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks both, will contact A/S in the morning and. Then contact police again..lots of headaches to come I think.....

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks both, will contact A/S in the morning and. Then contact police again..lots of headaches to come I think.....

More for the vendor than for you.

I just hope it works out for you - and wish I could help.

Deleted User
Have you considered rejecting goods and demanding full refund?

OP
OP
reenag06

reenag06

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starspirit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have tried but they not answering me so it now in hands of police, trading standards and autosleeper

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know anything about auto sleepers but just my take on this, if the firm you bought the van off are also breakers , as was suggested in your previous thread, could it not indeed be two separate vehicles joined together that had been in accidents or something , then the driveline part of your van could have well been a commercial van and the living part off another, not necessarily anything wrong but just an idea.

OP
OP
reenag06

reenag06

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starspirit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have spoken to previous owner tonight who said he sold it to salvage co. As van for £250. Looks like chassis has been used and A/s body mounted on it. Have spoken to tech. Guy on A/s members club who said A/s van conversions can only be done by them and I doubt very much that this has been so now need to ring them in the morning as if they haven't done it, they then get their solicitors involved as counterfeit goods..........
I love reading mysteries and trying to solve them but never thought I would be main character lol!!!!

OP
OP
reenag06

reenag06

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starspirit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Vin plate is same as reg. document but the guy who it was registered to was taken off V5 and yet they gave it to me with him still on it..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Vin number may well be the same, but have a real good look at it and around it .. Would not be the first time a whole section of metal had been cut out with the vin number on it and moved to another vehicle.. These boys have got real cute over the years at ringing..

OP
OP
reenag06

reenag06

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starspirit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have managed to speak to owner of garage this morning and he said that the engine and body of the autosleeper had been put on the chassis of the van and that is why the mileage is wrong as the v5 is for the chassis and engine no. Of the old van which is where the mileage discrepancy comes in. He said that he will take photos of the van and the engine no. And have it re-registered.....
Does this sound ok??

Re. Mot, he said that was a stupid thing to do by the guy who was in charge when he was off and he will put it right......

Am having van inspected tomorrow by an independent garage...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That all sounds very feasible..
And yes, get the inspection and then get the seller to put it all right for you

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It still is not the Autosleeper you thought you were buying though is it? It is not a simple job to take a motorhome body off one chassis and put it on the other one, and how do you know he has done it properly? And why do it all - was the Autosleeper in an accident and if so what damage did that do to the body that has been hidden?

And, above all, can you really trust somebody who has effectively done the motorhome equivalent of a cut and shut and then tried to hide it from the authorities and the buyer?

I would want my money back if it was me.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One thing missing from all this, is what you paid for this vehicle, if you don't want to say that's fine , but if you have paid less than say, four grand and it's what you want and it checks out ok you have a bargain but if you are looking at teens of thousands for it then that is very different, as it's not what it is supposed to be.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Looks like chassis has been used and A/s body mounted on it.
As I suggested in my post on your last thread, this garage has for many years 'fronted' the vehicle scrap yard business it also owns. Try checking through Google for past misdemeanour's, including MOT 'irregularities', and County Court judgements against them.
As a now 'spent' mechanic, my advice to you would be GET YOUR MONEY BACK!! (y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
reenag06

reenag06

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starspirit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Jaws, after a really stressful few days am beginning to see the light....

OP
OP
reenag06

reenag06

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starspirit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Van was in the thousands.... Will check ccj's etc but have tried checking the garage earlier and couldn't find anything dodgy...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Van was in the thousands.... Will check ccj's etc but have tried checking the garage earlier and couldn't find anything dodgy...
Not wanting to know the details, but was it way less than book price or same as others on offer.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not wanting to know the details, but was it way less than book price or same as others on offer.

@Uniresearcher Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?
Was this post for me , if so no not looking for something like this but in years gone by , yes if the van was the right price I would consider it but not if he has paid for one thing and got another.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I would try and get a full refund, even if you keep it how do you sell on or part ex a vehicle with that history.
That is the bottom line.........Do you sell it whilst keeping stum about what you know?? Of coarse you couldn't. Then suddenly, your van is worth squat. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back