Anyone Live Nr Charlwood Surrey (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We live in Crawley (for our sins) and store MH at Gatwick CC site. When driving from Charlwood we pass Vallances Byways (Gatwick Aviation Museum) and notice he always has about a dozen motor homes parked neatly down one side. We're curious - does he do 'park'n'fly', is he a wheeler dealer or what? Does anyone local know and could stop us having to have the conversation every time we drive past?

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Brian and Karen, we lived in Mill Lane, Hookwood from 1988 until 1998 and there were lots of "Gatwick parking" around us as it was only 5 minutes away from the airport. We used to drive from Hookwood into Crawley.......the County Mall, best place to shop apart from going further into Horsham, well so Margaret tells me::bigsmile: Anyway, we used to go around the perimeter road on our way into Crawley and passed Vallance Byways. Charlwood is a lovely little place, in fact we spent a week at the CC site at Gatwick, they now call it Amberley Fields.

We went back down Mill Lane, Hookwood when we were down late 2013 and were amazed at the parking places that have sprung up.
There was a big house with acres of ground across from us, the owner used to keep Shire horses in the grounds and it was lovely to look across and see them. But sadly we noticed when we were down last, that it looks as if he had sold up and whoever bought the property has filled the grounds with parked cars..........what an eyesore.

We lived just down from the Black Horse, Mill Lane and the area round there is mainly farms and fields, but we heard from a neighbour that even the livery stables behind us had filled their fields with Gatwick parkers at one point. But think the planning department put paid to that:)

We did a bit of "parking" ourselves for a couple of years, offered it to IBM work colleagues and it worked very well. But reckon nowadays we'd fall foul of "Health and Safety".

Here's the link for the current goings on at Vallance Byways, but why the motorhomes are parked there is anyone's guess.......you could always go in and ask him out of curiosity:wink:

http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/

We thoroughly enjoyed our 10 year stay in Surrey and loved the surrounding Sussex area, we have happy memories of our times spent there and our children growing up. If it hadn't been for my road accident on the M25 when going to London years back, we probably would still be living down there.

Bill & Margaret

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Bill & Margaret
I lived in Povey Cross Road in a different life. We certainly know the Black horse, that's not far from where they've found huge oil reserves.
Gatwick parking is certainly a blight on the landscape.
I did check the website but it didn't yield any clues. Don't have the nerve to go in and ask outright!
Yes many parts of Surrey and Sussex are very pretty indeed and convenient for hopping across the channel.
Karen was very happy to retire from the M25 commute end of last year.
Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Bill & Margaret
I lived in Povey Cross Road in a different life. We certainly know the Black horse, that's not far from where they've found huge oil reserves.
Gatwick parking is certainly a blight on the landscape.
I did check the website but it didn't yield any clues. Don't have the nerve to go in and ask outright!
Yes many parts of Surrey and Sussex are very pretty indeed and convenient for hopping across the channel.
Karen was very happy to retire from the M25 commute end of last year.
Brian

We bought a Volvo from Gatwick Motors, not sure if they're still there, but I think they were in Povey Cross Road. I was in Gatwick Park Hospital along there for a few days as well, probably around 1993.

Bill commuted into the centre of London for about seven years, first by train and then via M25.......what a whole waste of valuable time that was. We had a guy paint the house before we moved north, he was from Crawley, Des Whittle, we sometimes wonder if he's still painting in and around Gatwick area........happy days!

Margaret

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
My daughter has an interview in Surrey in June, the jobs are for newly qualified mental health nurses but part of me hopes that she is not successful as I don't think she will be able to afford to live there. She will have to go back to flat sharing or a room in a family house. If she gets a job I'll be asking about different areas to live.

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
What part of Surrey? Have to say the affordable areas round here are places we wouldn't want to live :(
Our children all struggle with rent and have almost no chance of buying a place, even though they earn good salaries. I know this is not uncommon in the south but it's very hard for us to advise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
What part of Surrey? Have to say the affordable areas round here are places we wouldn't want to live :(
Our children all struggle with rent and have almost no chance of buying a place, even though they earn good salaries. I know this is not uncommon in the south but it's very hard for us to advise.

The interview is in Leatherhead, I've discussed the pitfalls but she's 27 years old so can't stand in her way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back