Re-fillable gas bottle installation NE Scotland (1 Viewer)

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Brand new at this game but we picked up new MH last Saturday and really looking forward to getting out and about. Some great info. and advice on here We're heading off to Europe in Sept. for several months and I'm looking to install re-fillable gas bottler i.e gaslow or similar. Anyone know of installers in NE or even anywhere in Scotland. Local dealer quote was over 700 quid for install and supply for 2 6kg bottles!!!! maybe thats just what the price is?? Thanks in advance.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Welcome to the madhouse:)

How DIY competent are you? You can get DIY kits for less than half that price and fit them in an afternoon.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
(y)Thanks. Not DIY competent at all, if i did it i'd be expecting the MH to go BANG but i do know a few people who are pretty good,that's a route I could go down..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
This is the kind of thing that you could get - you may need a few other bits to complete the setup. Second hand bottles are cheaper.

Broken Link Removed

I've recently done mine - I'll look out the prices that I paid later.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Excellent, thanks for that. Was looking on Gasit website, they had a 6 and 11kg diy kit that didn't have the external fill (no need to make a hole in the MH body). Stating it's UK and EU compliant. I'd be a bit concerned about not being allowed to fuel up if the garage attendants saw me opening the gas bottle door??

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Brand new at this game but we picked up new MH last Saturday and really looking forward to getting out and about. Some great info. and advice on here We're heading off to Europe in Sept. for several months and I'm looking to install re-fillable gas bottler i.e gaslow or similar. Anyone know of installers in NE or even anywhere in Scotland. Local dealer quote was over 700 quid for install and supply for 2 6kg bottles!!!! maybe thats just what the price is?? Thanks in advance.

Might be an idea to check on the prices further South. You could stop off on the way down, just a thought. Good Luck (y)

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I just bought the gasit system with external filler point from Gumtree for £190. Had only been used for one trip and the guy tore the roof of his MH, hence the sale. Keep your eyes open on Gumtree, Ebay and Preloved. You just might get lucky.

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi @ChrisMac if you get stuck give me a pm... I'm up Inverness way in June for a meet and if you had the gear sorted I'm sure I could fit the stuff for you...
Some prefer the external fill and you can get a bracket to install fill point in the locker.. whatever you prefer. ..
I intend been up that way a few days before the meet at Inverness anyway..
Just let me know
Ta Andy. ..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Thanks folks. @andy63, thanks for that offer, much appreciated. We'll be going up that direction ourselves quite a lot to see family so may well be in touch about that.

Upvote 0

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Another possibility for you is Perthshire caravans near errol on the A90 between Dundee and Perth. They fitted a gaslow system for me at reasonable cost.

I had it transferred to our second van and the dealer put the filler inside the locker, rather than in the skirt. I have opened it and refilled without any issues in many places in UK and abroad.

Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Thanks Dave. Went there a few timeswhen we were looking at MH's. I'llget a quote from them i think. Good to know about no issues with the inside filler (y)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Wow, some great advice, thanks to you all. Think I'll have a look at the diy option and rope in someone who has a better idea than me, I'll let you know how it goes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Opted for the twin 6kg Gasit set up manual changeover, with internal locker fill. Still to be installed but hopefully get it done this week so we can give the MH a proper test. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Opted for the twin 6kg Gasit set up manual changeover, with internal locker fill. Still to be installed but hopefully get it done this week so we can give the MH a proper test. Thanks again.
Can't fault that decision , we have just one 6kg gasit, otherwise the same, took maybe an hour to fit and most of that was deciding where to put the filler.

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Can't fault that decision , we have just one 6kg gasit, otherwise the same, took maybe an hour to fit and most of that was deciding where to put the filler.

Hiya I'm thinking of doing the same - where did you put the filler and how easy was it to fit (the filler that it).

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hiya I'm thinking of doing the same - where did you put the filler and how easy was it to fit (the filler that it).
Put mine inside the locker, in the end screwed to the bottom rail , I got a photo on here somewhere, il look it out

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Put mine inside the locker, in the end screwed to the bottom rail , I got a photo on here somewhere, il look it out

Would like to see the photo!

We need to check out how much gas is left in our cylinders before we set off weekend after next. I'd rather fit a refillable than get another "hire" cylinder.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Would like to see the photo!

We need to check out how much gas is left in our cylinders before we set off weekend after next. I'd rather fit a refillable than get another "hire" cylinder.
There you go, you will see also I have somewhere to store my pipes and leads(y)
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
:thanks3:@chaser Looks neat.

It's persistently raining with a hint of snow so checking how much gas is left will have to wait.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
:thanks3:@chaser Looks neat.

It's persistently raining with a hint of snow so checking how much gas is left will have to wait.
Actually, usually looks better than that, I've been moving stuff around and just pushed the hose in but couldn't find my original photo just just took another with it in the rough(y)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And the pipe doesn't slope as much as it looks must be some sort of optical illusion by the way I was holding the iPad

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Our cables are on a holder that Martin made and which lives in the garage.

The gas locker is quite small and contains the 6kg cylinder plus a small bottle of camping gaz that runs a stand alone cooker.

The only concern I have with the refillable bottles is finding somewhere to fill them as our local garage that did LPG hs closed.

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
@chaser thanks am I right in thinking that the black box at the bottom is your filler point? And is not external?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
I put the filler inside the locker as well. Was easy to fit, must have been as I'm useless at diy. I'll take a pic and post it

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back