Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
I am researching a new MH and I have found at least one converter (Murvi) who have mentioned using diesel for the hob / oven, thereby eliminating the need for gas.

Has anyone got a diesel fuelled cooker ???

Do people think it would smell !! I have a suspicion it would be smelly and I've no idea how it works, is it a reasonable proposition ??? also who makes them??

Any thoughts, specualtion, or even first hand experience would be welcome :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

No personal experience but I read on the Silk Route club that diesel cookers were best avoided, the consensus of opinion being that LPG was by far the better and when used only for cooking a bottle lasted ages..

When designing my campervan I was tempted to install a diesel hob. On paper these are very attractive, primarily because if you use diesel heating as well then you do not need to carry any gas. In practice they seem to be a disaster! So far I have not met anyone with a diesel hob who would recommend it. They are expensive, noisy, slow to start, slow to heat and unreliable. They may not work at all above 1500 metres.

The Silk Route Motorcaravan Network.

Lots of great information and advice on this site, the quote above is from the section..

Choosing an Overland Camper Van

Hope that helps

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I have read of a diesel cooker which is a hot plate type device and the fumes are all vented to the outside. Probably in a similar manner to the Webasto heaters.
I used diesel to cook with when I was travelling in my Searle carawagon,only it was in a Primus stove and I certainly didn't use it inside!!

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Jim

I was looking into diesel for cooking and came across the same article from Silk Route Motorcaravan network.

The cookers are really expensive I think the ovens ranged at about £2000.

I know that LPG for cooking would last a long time, but if you are going to do off the beaten track long touring, a lot of the countries just dont have LPG, whereas Diesel is readily available. Also it means given up valuable space to fit LPG tanks or bottles.

We have only started doing our research, we have come across people use meths hobs but that would mean carrying a lots of meths.

Kind regards
Pat

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Meths can be difficult to obtain overseas. It is normally used to prime paraffin lamps and cookers. Alternative name is denatured alcohol.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
£1200 PLUS ????
Link Removed
Look nice but very expensive :Eeek::Eeek:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim

I know that LPG for cooking would last a long time, but if you are going to do off the beaten track long touring, a lot of the countries just dont have LPG, whereas Diesel is readily available. Also it means given up valuable space to fit LPG tanks or bottles.

Hi Pat ,

It is a valid consideration, but you may be surprised (or maybe not) how many third world countries have bottled LPG, when you were in Morocco you must have seen how much they depend on it.. every other shop stocks it, but you are correct to consider every eventuality ..and as a back up to LPG you could have either a Primus stove, but that means a third type of fuel .. or cook on open fires..

Another option, solar panels and a big battery bank, but that too has a weight/space penalty and the sun isn't guaranteed ..

The space / payload issue with LPG is hard to argue against .. diesel wins hands down.. but on balance I would prefer LPG .. a 13kg bottle lasts a long time when only used for cooking..
I don't thnk there is a single or simple answer or a 'one size fits all' solution.. an interesting discussion :Smile:

Jim

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. Yes when we were in Morocco, we did see our they depended on bottled gas. Refillable lpg was a different story, we even went to the bottling plant, but no. We ended up buying a moroccan bottle. The gas was not as good, very smelly and sooty, it didnt like the cold weather. Propane was harder to get hold of. Although I think that there were some people who had refills done at Atlantic parc in Agadir.

I looked at the world map for LPG availability, I think that was via silk route etc,not sure now, get so much information you tend to forget where it comes from. Anyhow it showed little or no availability.

We would also go down the Bank of batteries, solar capabilites, and probably the dreaded generator route too.

We maybe going to look at some trucks on the way to Newark to have a look for a base vehicle via some ex MOD supplier. Depends if Neil can get Friday off.

Although its in the future we need to start planning now, as it will quickly come round.

Thanks Pat

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
£1200 PLUS ????
Link Removed
Look nice but very expensive :Eeek::Eeek:
terry

Hi Terry, yes that is the same site I saw the oven, a combined oven with hot plate £2,500 without all the fittings. Glad about the free delivery.

I would love to see them in operation, to see if it was a viable option although at that price, (I could have quite a few takeaways :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:).

Regards Pat

OP
OP
L

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Havent got a clue, but Aga have been making an oil fueled oven/cooker for years.
Peter
Yes Peter but I'm not contemplating a Winnebago (Unless you've got one for let's say 5K ::bigsmile:)

Hi

No personal experience but I read on the Silk Route club that diesel cookers were best avoided, the consensus of opinion being that LPG was by far the better and when used only for cooking a bottle lasted ages..

The Silk Route Motorcaravan Network.

Lots of great information and advice on this site, the quote above is from the section..
Choosing an Overland Camper Van
Hope that helps
Jim

Thanks for the link will have a look tonight

I have read of a diesel cooker which is a hot plate type device and the fumes are all vented to the outside. Probably in a similar manner to the Webasto heaters.

So just as dangerous as gas, just a different type of danger!!
Beginning to go off the idea now !!

Hi Jim
Kind regards
Pat
Thanks Pat, most of the time it will only be me in the 'van and I can barely use the microwave so I guess my gas hob would last for ages ::bigsmile::Blush:
No, won't be going off the beaten track, done all that in my yuuf, just back and forth on the E4 (Germany) and trolling 'round UK

Hi Pat ,
The space / payload issue with LPG is hard to argue against .. diesel wins hands down.. but on balance I would prefer LPG .. a 13kg bottle lasts a long time when only used for cooking..
Jim

and only for me (mostly)

a combined oven with hot plate £2,500 without all the fittings. Glad about the free delivery.

I would love to see them in operation, to see if it was a viable option although at that price, (I could have quite a few takeaways :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:).

Regards Pat

::bigsmile: Well that price has really put me off them (Even with the free delivery ::bigsmile:) Think I'd prefer the 'take aways' too, especially when on my own :RollEyes:

Thanks to all above and now wondering if we'll get a funster come on who has got one fitted, would be interesting to here from them (if there are any)

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I have read of a diesel cooker which is a hot plate type device and the fumes are all vented to the outside. Probably in a similar manner to the Webasto heaters.I used diesel to cook with when I was travelling in my Searle carawagon,only it was in a Primus stove and I certainly didn't use it inside!!
I have a diesel heater in my camper which is really super efficient and as you say, its vented to the outside so i guess the same would apply to a diesel powered cooker.

But £2000 to buy one? :Eeek:

You would need to be doing lots of serious cooking on a daily basis to make that worthwhile!
Personally i cannot see any justification in that price....even for a fulltimer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back