Any Change In Law Regarding Sat Navs In Europe (1 Viewer)

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
talking to a guy the other day and he mentioned some change in the law regarding using and having sat navs fixed to windscreen or dash board in france said they could be no longer used in prescribed manner and the police would ask you to remove them and would issue a on the spot fine. as regular traveller to europe with my van at least once a year sometimes twice i had to claim that this information was news to me been a ardent follower of motorhome forums i would have thought i would have read something on the subject re continental travelling etc but must claim total ignorance.. so can anyone enlighten me on the subject or is the aforementioned chap missinformed. any info welcome. jt

OP
OP
J

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
good information it would seem i have been breaking the FRENCH road traffic laws for quite a few years. will have to be more crafty in future re SAT NAV diguise it as a dashboard soft toy. maybe a french cockerill their againfrench police not noted for sense of humour so i may still be on dodgy ground!!!!!!!!!! so any alternative soft toy suggestions welcome. lol hehe. thanks for info Gellyneck. jt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well TomTom stopped telling us about radar detectors some time ago.

However ever since then, it often seems to give us advance warning of something they identify as 'Hazards'.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Garmin provide Cyclops Dangerous Zones for France (not specific speed camera locations) to permit legal usage in France.
Broken Link Removed

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
My car sat nav also states "Hazard" when approaching any fixed speed camera.

I would really take this with a pinch of salt as the French Gendarmes would have to stop every car to check if the sat nav was identifying the fixed cameras. Most motorhomes don't go fast enough to speed anyway so relax and if you do then you're going too fast.

Simple, slow down and be safe (y)
What's the rush, the journey is part of the holiday :)

Cheers Antony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
At least two or three years old now..
On my older GPS units I have simply disabled the warnings.. All the newer ones have, as mentioned above, warnings of danger areas..
I noted also the danger zone warnings are random.. They can come up anywhere from 300 metres to over a mile from where a camera is located

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
it's a value judgement. Do you disable the warning and risk a fine, or keep the warning and risk the penalty. For my part I tend to stay within the speed limit as a tactic but accept the warning of speed cameras on my route.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back