Sv Tech (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Just to give thanks to Sv Tech for making the weght upgrade to my vehicle so easy.
Contacted them last Wednesday the 15th to check what I needed to do, filled in forms in line, photo copied V5 and emailed everything to them.
Got an invoice on Monday, paid it and received post from them this morning with the new plate weight and full instructions to put it on and what to fill in and send to DVLA.
Going to put that in the postbox now.
Sv Tech have made everthing so easy, my road tax is due in 5 weeks and it will go down by £60.
This may be of interest to @StefAndDi who have been posting abouts weghts recently.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good to hear, I will be going down that route as soon as out over laden MH gets back from Spain!

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
How much did it cost ??
cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
£260 + vat, so £312 in total.
I will be taxing it in 5 weeks at £165 used to be £225 so got £60 back straightaway.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Top marks from me as to SV Tech as well, rang today, got completely free advice from Steve, very helpful

We can upgrade from 5000kg to 5500kg as paperwork exercise alone, cost I think he quoted £260 + VAT, will find out tomorrow when I send papers in (y)

edit - still cant type fast enough - or use too many words :D

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Hello can someone enlighten me to what this is all about, is it as simple as hand over £312 and your van can carry more weight without any physical modification
pete

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hello can someone enlighten me to what this is all about, is it as simple as hand over £312 and your van can carry more weight without any physical modification
pete

In a lot of cases and up to a point yes.

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Speak to them first with the details of your van, they can tell you more or less straightaway whether it's a paperwork exercise or any alterations need to be made.

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Just to give thanks to Sv Tech for making the weght upgrade to my vehicle so easy.
Contacted them last Wednesday the 15th to check what I needed to do, filled in forms in line, photo copied V5 and emailed everything to them.
Got an invoice on Monday, paid it and received post from them this morning with the new plate weight and full instructions to put it on and what to fill in and send to DVLA.
Going to put that in the postbox now.
Sv Tech have made everthing so easy, my road tax is due in 5 weeks and it will go down by £60.
This may be of interest to @StefAndDi who have been posting abouts weghts recently.

Adding to previous post regarding the upgrade, I have just received 2 letters this morning, opened one from DVLA which said they were returning the documents I sent in for the upgrade and the V5 would follow.
Opened the 2nd and it's the V5 which now reads:- revenue weight 3850 and taxation class Private HGV.
So from start to finish it has taken 16 days, DVLA have returned the new V5 within 9 days, could this be a record for them.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It took 5 weeks for DVLA to sort mine out, and that was after I had all the paperwork, new lower price tax disc and temp V5 ( when local DVLA offices were still open )
The problem was sending the original V5 to them to change the revenue weight and tax class. They got it wrong 3 times and sent me 2 refunds.
All sorted in the end though. Av Tech were very fast and efficient.
UKPete, a lot of vans are capable of carrying more weight, but the manufacturers class them as 3500kg. Over that and some driver and road restrictions come into play. When you contact SvTech with details of your van, they will tell you if you can increase the payload and by how much with no modifications, you came sometimes go even higher, but that normally includes new tyres and mods to suspension. I changed mine from 3500 to 3700 without modification but I could go higher with rear air suspension and new tyres, something like 4250kg.
That's the next project!
Allan

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
pete

depends on what chassis your van on....Mine is a Maxi so a simple paper upgrade to 4250 (irrelevant to me as restricted to 3500 due to diabetes)

some can upgrade to 3700 or 3850 without change, while some can add air assist to back and others will have to change tyres as well to achieve the weight change they require..

I have not looked into it as I cant upgrade anyway, and would not want to anyway due to road/speed/toll costs when driving in Europe. but feel sure that this must be a simple DIY job through VOSA if just a paper exercise? maybe someone can advise. Worth investigating if your thinking of upgrading and saving a lump of money

edit: crossed with Allan's post above....:)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
pete
many vehicles are made to carry the higher weights straight from the factory.
but due to licensing etc many get down plated at the factory.
some may be fitted with not so heavy tyres that meet lower weight regs . some used to have different wheel cylinders fitted .
its all about manufacturing costs and what suits what market .
if you know what to do its easy .
was easier when local dvla offices were open .
very often only three days to receive a new log book etc .
bit like change to m,caravan , was easy .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have seen this subject crop up many times, who are sv tech , is this all they do or will they actually put bigger springs and stuff on if needed or just the office stuff

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
sv tec are a very helpfull company . yes they do what ever is required at a cost.
nothing wrong with them great company ,
there are others that also do similar. mainly on commercial vehicles .

i used to speak with gareth marsh at sv tec . very helpfull.
they get involved in chassis lengthening /shortening . changing trucks etc from one thing to another .
found them very helpfull when i converted my mitsubushi from a tipper truck to a mini artic .
they have spent years talking with manufacturers etc and these days know lots of ways to do things . it may seem a few hundred quid is alo but it takes ages organizing what you should and shouldnt require to do.
it is possible to do it all yourself but it can take time .
once you have done it ,the next one is easy.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
sv tec are a very helpfull company . yes they do what ever is required at a cost.
nothing wrong with them great company ,
there are others that also do similar. mainly on commercial vehicles .

i used to speak with gareth marsh at sv tec . very helpfull.
they get involved in chassis lengthening /shortening . changing trucks etc from one thing to another .
found them very helpfull when i converted my mitsubushi from a tipper truck to a mini artic .
they have spent years talking with manufacturers etc and these days know lots of ways to do things . it may seem a few hundred quid is alo but it takes ages organizing what you should and shouldnt require to do.
it is possible to do it all yourself but it can take time .
once you have done it ,the next one is easy.
Wasn't criticising in any way , just wondered

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, didnt take it as criticism of sv tec just a question .
years ago we used them for details of how to lower 10ton trucks to 7.5 ton .
ten ton trucks were available cheap .
many round here wanted 7.5tonners to use as horse boxes .
ended up only being a steel plate of correct thickness under a bump stop . bit of paperwork .
once we knew we could buy 10 tonners and make a shilling . the info was a valuable knowledge .
quick trip to ministry station it was done .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Wasn't criticising in any way , just wondered

Same here..I know many who use the service and pleased with it. But its like using an import agent to import a van for you, when its relativity straight forward to DIY and a lot cheaper..... Different strokes for different folks I guess:)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
when its relativity straight forward to DIY and a lot cheaper.....

I like words like "lot" and "cheaper" even if too late but in my case I can't see that I could print out a sticker to re-rate my MH to a higher rating.

I guess I could find out the load carrying capacity of the tyres. But there is no way I could work out the strength of a FIAT rear axle.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I like words like "lot" and "cheaper" even if too late but in my case I can't see that I could print out a sticker to re-rate my MH to a higher rating.

I guess I could find out the load carrying capacity of the tyres. But there is no way I could work out the strength of a FIAT rear axle.

sorry your quote of me is regards importing not weight increase?. As said earlier its been discussed on here recently doing it DIY..

If I was doing it I would call local VOSA station for info for a start...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
sorry your quote of me is regards importing not weight increase?. As said earlier its been discussed on here recently doing it DIY..

If I was doing it I would call local VOSA station for info for a start...

The FUN effect at work a well twisted thread.

Reactions: DBK
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you've got a Hymer, you can go direct to them and check if can be up graded. It worked out about £200 through Hymer.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

very often its stamped or marked on the axle . or even so there possibly is a code stamped on it . so then you get fiat or who ever to let you know what weight it goes up to.
it takes time many letters or phone calls sometimes .
but these days every thing is documented somewhere.
all interesting but time is money .

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
This is the second van SV Tech have done for me. A bit more than a paper exercise to go from 3.5 to 4.5 tonnes, suspension tyres etc. but I agree the new plate is one of the hardest bits to DIY.
Plus even with all that done I still had a battle with DVLA for months until Gareth from SV wrote to them, then all the stupid questions & hoops they wanted me to jump through suddenly disappeared, so worth every penny from my viewpoint.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but time is money .

Not a whole lot in my case.

But in this case, a more or less chance weighing because we'd bought a heavy safari room and only 3 weeks to departure so their £312 bought the timescale.

Turned out an expensive safari room but we were illegal with just the bikes on the back.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just goes to show that doing checks etc before you buy a m,home etc is worth doing . fortunately for me payload isnt much of a problem .

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If it was 3500kg and up rated to 3860 changing the class and both plates are attached in differing places it would be a simple thing to point the relevant official to the correct plate for what ever they are trying to catch you on. Simples! However I might be thought of as naughty but I say use use every weapon you can against the bureaucracy that is out to catch you, for whatever it can. Cheaper tolls in France point the 3500 plate heavy weight in UK point the other one.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
If it was 3500kg and up rated to 3860 changing the class and both plates are attached in differing places it would be a simple thing to point the relevant official to the correct plate for what ever they are trying to catch you on. Simples! However I might be thought of as naughty but I say use use every weapon you can against the bureaucracy that is out to catch you, for whatever it can. Cheaper tolls in France point the 3500 plate heavy weight in UK point the other one.

In that case as with all others they will go by weight shown on your V5/ DVLA records

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back