Di Blasi Folding Tricycle (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Angela fell off her electric bike and broke her arm on our recent trip to Spain & Portugal. Still on the mend but it has dented her confidence and I doubt that she will ever be willing to ride a bike again. We are looking for a more stable alternative like an electric trike, but we would need it to fold in order to get it in the garage of the motorhome

We have come across a folding trike by Di Blasi that looks if it would work for us. Has anybody got or had one of these please? What are they like to ride? We are not talking about long distances, or rough terrain. More likely to be used on cycle tracks and roads at a very sedate pace to look at the sights and get the shopping without having to move the motorhome.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
T here are two funster who have the electic Di Blasi that i know of thats Ginny who is Teasy 2007 on fun and Elizabeth who's name is Ameateos or somthing like that i'm sure if you pm Ginny she would be able to answer your questions. Our daughter has the non electic Di Blasi which is ok on flat paths and roads but not any ood for uneven as you do feel you are going to topple over you dont but you do feel as though you are . Out of interest what price are you looking at for the electric one only we may be tying with the idea for me to have one as well so i can ride along my daughter who is disabled .

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
T here are two funster who have the electic Di Blasi that i know of thats Ginny who is Teasy 2007 on fun and Elizabeth who's name is Ameateos or somthing like that i'm sure if you pm Ginny she would be able to answer your questions. Our daughter has the non electic Di Blasi which is ok on flat paths and roads but not any ood for uneven as you do feel you are going to topple over you dont but you do feel as though you are . Out of interest what price are you looking at for the electric one only we may be tying with the idea for me to have one as well so i can ride along my daughter who is disabled .
Thanks for that. I have PM'd Teasy2007.

They are £2,580, so want to make sure it is right for her.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
It may indeed for that saving. Wonder if they deliver to the UK. Thanks

I just rang him and he will he is not sure how much delivery is but thinks about €60

he speaks English.

Just make sure its the same model as you are looking at in th UK

Mel

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
personally a centre drive trike would perform much better, especially on hills! and be EN 15194 compliant for use in Europe:coffee:

https://www.diigo.com/item/image/g9se/5i32

but you can get kits to convert bikes/e bikes to trikes, this a cheaper way I should think. e bikes like camper vans a lot cheaper in Europe.....

Reactions: Mel

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
personally a centre drive trike would perform much better, especially on hills! and be EN 15194 compliant for use in Europe:coffee:

but you can get kits to convert bikes/e bikes to trikes, this a cheaper way I should think. e bikes like camper vans a lot cheaper in Europe.....

Yes but the OP said he needs a folding trike

Mel

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006

Dont think this trike folds does it ?

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Sorry

I thought the link was what you whete suggesting

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sorry

I thought the link was what you whete suggesting

.in Spain so googling difficult....link an example of a far better bike (if brought in europe)
personally to keep cost down, would go for a qualty used centre drive bike and look at a conversion kit. Dont laugh but you can get adult stabilisers as well? Far easier and lighter to carry!

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all the suggestions but as others have said I need a folding one, otherwise I won't have any room in the garage for all the other things, including my own folding bike. And most, including the Diigo one, won't even get through the garage door because they are too wide at the back. The di Blasi one folds down so that it is smaller than the folding bike it will replace.

As I have also said she already has a bike, the one she fell off of. Looked at stabilisers but they won't work because they stop the bike folding and again would take up too much room. And they need plenty of bolts to hold on so a complete pain to put on and take off every time we use it. And in the end it would still be less stable than a trike.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
that trike is nearly 30 kg..I suggest you test ride with particular attention to hill climbing before committing....If set on it go for ebay one? seems to be legal though as no throttle

another option buy a lightweight folding trike as they are relatively cheap and add a kit

review covers a 500 watt kit which is illegal here. even then he says it struggles on hills?..and why I suggested centre drive systems:coffee:

Last edited:
OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
that trike is nearly 30 kg..I suggest you test ride with particular attention to hill climbing before committing....If set on it go for ebay one? seems to be legal though as no throttle

another option buy a lightweight folding trike as they are relatively cheap and add a kit

review covers a 500 watt kit which is illegal here. even then he says it struggles on hills?..and why I suggested centre drive systems:coffee:

Thanks, but as I said before the problem with that one is the same with most of the UK ones, i.e. the width between the rear wheels needed in order to make it stable makes it too wide to get into my garage. And the folding bit only makes it shorter not narrower, because you can see it has a rigid rear axle.

The comment about the hills seems to be because the drive is on the front wheel, which has the least load on it, whereas the Di Blasi is rear wheel drive, but that in turn has problems because it only drives one of the rear wheels and some of the reviews have suggested that causes problems. That is why I was asking here about people's experiences with it. As far as I can see you cannot get a trike that drives both rear wheels and folds down to be narrow enough to go into my garage.

Most electric trikes you can buy, whether they fold or not, are much cheaper than the Di Blasi. Looking at it there does not seem to be much saving between buying an electric one and buying a non-electric one with conversion kit.

We really do not want this for heavy duty use. We are looking for it so we can go at most 10 miles of so from where we are parked, on dedicated cycle paths or roads rather than rough tracks.

Reactions: Mel

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Angela fell off her electric bike and broke her arm on our recent trip to Spain & Portugal. Still on the mend but it has dented her confidence and I doubt that she will ever be willing to ride a bike again. We are looking for a more stable alternative like an electric trike, but we would need it to fold in order to get it in the garage of the motorhome

We have come across a folding trike by Di Blasi that looks if it would work for us. Has anybody got or had one of these please? What are they like to ride? We are not talking about long distances, or rough terrain. More likely to be used on cycle tracks and roads at a very sedate pace to look at the sights and get the shopping without having to move the motorhome.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Hi @peterc10 I know it's a bit of a diversion to your post but have you thought about a Tandem, how stable it will be comes down to you as the captain (that's Tandem speak for the one on the front).

Getting back to the DeBlasi, the lady with one at Stratford last year gave us a demonstration of the folding and it a clever bit of kit.

Martin

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi @peterc10 I know it's a bit of a diversion to your post but have you thought about a Tandem, how stable it will be comes down to you as the captain (that's Tandem speak for the one on the front).

Getting back to the DeBlasi, the lady with one at Stratford last year gave us a demonstration of the folding and it a clever bit of kit.

Martin
Hi, yes we thought of that (although not sure we could get it in the garage) and also getting a scooter/motorbike. But I am afraid that my wife has sort of lost all confidence on two wheels at the moment and she admits that she would probably be terrified on the back of either. No point if she is not enjoying it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi, yes we thought of that (although not sure we could get it in the garage) and also getting a scooter/motorbike. But I am afraid that my wife has sort of lost all confidence on two wheels at the moment and she admits that she would probably be terrified on the back of either. No point if she is not enjoying it.

Don't know how tall your wife is, but if we meet up at fix it or Stratford she can have a go on the back of ours, frightens the life out of me sitting on the back but that's because I am a control freak :LOL::LOL:. I took Shirley (Martin and Shirley) out at Stratford last year and she didn't scream once, she might tell you a different story though.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm finding this a really useful thread because I've also been toying with the idea of a folding e-trike.
We weren't allowed to have bikes as kids (deprived childhood) & then I spent years sitting on horses 8-10 hours a day (work), so I just can't ride a bike - centre of gravity feels all wrong, and bikes just WILL NOT balance themselves! (Also the saddle's a bit narrow...)
Our moho also doesn't have a garage worthy of the name so I'd need something that folds up small OR would fold to go on the bike rack. @peterc10 , you've obviously done a lot of researching into this Di Blasi, do you know if it would go on a rack?

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@peterc10[/USER] , you've obviously done a lot of researching into this Di Blasi, do you know if it would go on a rack?
Doubt that it would. Have a look at the video here and you will see what it folds up like. Can't see that being put on a conventional bike rack. Our garage is a good side but standard trikes are very wide at the back and can't get through the door or sit on the floor.

Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Doubt that it would.
Mmm I think you're right. Will have to look in more detail when we get home.
Grateful for any further info you might get your hands on though, please!
Good luck with your search. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back