Solar Charge Leisure Battery Via 12v Cigarette Socket? (1 Viewer)

pengy

Free Member
Jan 24, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,

I have a 2006 Adria Twin, which I'm really happy with - but (isn't there always one of those) the leisure battery is in a tiny cupboard. No problem there until I started thinking about solar panels, not the permanent fixed on the roof kind, but the small portable ones that are sold with crocodile clips to attach to the battery. Absolutely no way is it possible to get at the battery terminals easily enough to do that! Then I saw some panels that charged via a 12v socket. The van has a hela socket in the kitchen area which is live all the time.

A seller has assured me it's perfectly safe to attach a small portable solar panel in this way (20w), but I'm not sure. The power would have to go through the Electroblok and I really don't want to damage that! The panel would have a regulator fitted.

Has anyone any thoughts on this? I would appreciate comments/observation? Am I just being over cautious?

Many thanks

Yvonne (masquerading as a penguin)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To be honest, i wouldnt bother.

20watts equates to 1.5amps but it will be hard pressed to produce 1amp in very bright overhead sunshine....and the sun aint that high for long so you may get 4 or 5 amps in a full summers day, dawn to dusk...if it shines all day.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I have one of the small suitcase type solar panels,it came with crocodile clips and a cig lighter plug,which I always use.
My van is 2000 without any complicated electronics but I cannot speak about newer models.
I sometimes sadly due to injury leave my van for several months with just the little panel left on the dash.It has always started fine!
Up till now that is haha.
Cheap enough to try maybe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pengy

pengy

Free Member
Jan 24, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
To be honest, i wouldnt bother.

20watts equates to 1.5amps but it will be hard pressed to produce 1amp in very bright overhead sunshine....and the sun aint that high for long so you may get 4 or 5 amps in a full summers day, dawn to dusk...if it shines all day.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have been wondering whether just to get a solar charger for my phone and a solar lantern! Then the leisure battery would just have to power the water pump.

Any idea how long I would have to drive for to get the 4 to 5 amps to the leisure battery? I very rarely stay more than 3 nights without moving!

Thanks

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Thanks for your thoughts. I have been wondering whether just to get a solar charger for my phone and a solar lantern! Then the leisure battery would just have to power the water pump.

Any idea how long I would have to drive for to get the 4 to 5 amps to the leisure battery? I very rarely stay more than 3 nights without moving!

Thanks

Always charge phone/computer and anything else whilst you are driving to next location if possible, I use a double 12v socket and always charge my comp and strip light and anything else that needs charging when driving, thus all charged up and full leisure battery's when I stop as well, although no good if things need charging whilst you are parked up, maybe better idea to get a 2nd battery linked up so you always have plenty of power between stops and a fixed solar panel on the roof so you always have some sort of charge coming in.
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

Thanks

Probably take an hour or two, but with a b2b charger running the engine for 15mins would do it.
If you don't want to get a proper solar panel (100w+) then I suggest a b2b charger would be your best bet and it can also charge in the dark.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pengy

pengy

Free Member
Jan 24, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for people's thoughts. It has given me other routes to consider so I think I'll be spending some time with Professor Google, and of course reading more threads here!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back