Tomtom Download (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Following on from DJA's thread yesterday i'm currently downloading the latest o/s update and new west european map update.

2 hours in and 45% downloaded....to my laptop !!!

Then it take half as long to upload to device.

What are TomTom up to....if they emailed me the data code i could manually upload it faster.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Same with Garmin, I guess it is their server where the bottleneck is. Huge file to download and lots of people trying to download it at the same time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Same with Garmin, I guess it is their server where the bottleneck is. Huge file to download and lots of people trying to download it at the same time.
Possibly, but that doesnt explain why it can take up to an hour and half to upload FROM the computer it downloaded to.
after all, once downloaded it becomes a locally stored file.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Possibly, but that doesnt explain why it can take up to an hour and half to upload FROM the computer it downloaded to.
after all, once downloaded it becomes a locally stored file.
It is probably down to the speed it can write to the SD card. They are not very quick things.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Pappajohn

Just to wind you up it took me less than 1 hour to download the map which is 6+gb and not very long to download the new software but then again we have Bt Infinity with a download speed of +55mb.

Just think what it would be like to still have the old 56kbs phone system when it took hours to download new windows software such that they supplied the update as a free CD attached to computer magazines. Now I am dating mayself.

If the maps are this big it would not matter whether it was Garman or Tomtom etc it will take as long as it takes based on your connection capability, computer ability and the speed of the internal storage facility or SD card if thats what it is writing to..

It will be worth it when it is finished. I hope?????

ps Scarborough? how long has the internet been available there????

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pappajohn

Just to wind you up it took me less than 1 hour to download the map which is 6+gb and not very long to download the new software but then again we have Bt Infinity with a download speed of +55mb.

Just think what it would be like to still have the old 56kbs phone system when it took hours to download new windows software such that they supplied the update as a free CD attached to computer magazines. Now I am dating mayself.

If the maps are this big it would not matter whether it was Garman or Tomtom etc it will take as long as it takes based on your connection capability, computer ability and the speed of the internal storage facility or SD card if thats what it is writing to..

It will be worth it when it is finished. I hope?????

ps Scarborough? how long has the internet been available there????
Oooh, we have had internet for years now......unfortunately nobody let BT know so we still have wet string for phone lines.

55mb......almost 20 times my best speed....3.5mb.

Took just 4 hours to download and a further 45 mins to upload to device.

Good job map update are quarterly....any more and i would lose the will to live.

Reactions: DJA

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Pappajohn

Based on 3.5 mb download that is probably why they are quarterly!!!!!!

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pappajohn

Based on 3.5 mb download that is probably why they are quarterly!!!!!!
Need to PM you later regarding POI's after updating the software.
cant find anything on mine.

Going for some light refreshments :drink: in a few minutes so it will be over the next couple of days if thats ok.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Quarterly ?
Does that mean you've only got a quarter of the map... top left, bottom right ?!?!
:rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back