Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
My van has a leather interior, all the seating and bed is upholstered in leather , it is really nice and very forgiving if you spill anything, its nice to open the door and get that whiff of leather, however when its a hot day, and i have not left the roof lights open ,wow it can really be quite strong
My question, is there a product that i can treat the leather which will keep it in nice condition and also tone it down a bit
pete

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Have a look at autoglem range they may have something or go to one off the furniture stores they sell leather cleaning kits

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Still on leather but slightly off topic.
Pete, can I ask what colour leather it is. We plan on having a leather trim put with our fabric. We were going cream trim, but don't fancy it cracking and getting grubby. In the cracks. Something pointed out to us by a fellow funster. I don't know if it's a common occurrence.
We fancy mushroom or a medium brown now. Has your leather cracked?
Also if it still smells so strong , his long have you had the van , please.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I had a car with cream leather seats they always needed cleaning showing a bit off a blue colour from wearing jeans

OP
OP
UK Pete

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Still on leather but slightly off topic.
Pete, can I ask what colour leather it is. We plan on having a leather trim put with our fabric. We were going cream trim, but don't fancy it cracking and getting grubby. In the cracks. Something pointed out to us by a fellow funster. I don't know if it's a common occurrence.
We fancy mushroom or a medium brown now. Has your leather cracked?
Also if it still smells so strong , his long have you had the van , please.

The leather has to be 5 years old, it is in outstanding condition, the upholsterer who done the job has made a perfect job of it and the quality is top notch , no cracks atal , i cant share any details as the previous owner had it done by the outfit that fitted out the van, it is black with grey inlay
KGrHqVmEFJLwftozrBSYPKrfk-60_12_zps944d3d7d.jpg

Nov 23, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have cream leather in our van. It is 5 years old and pretty much as good as new with only minimal creasing.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We had our van reupholstered in leather about 18 months ago. We were advised not to use leather cleaner on it but use Johnsons baby wipes instead.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
My question, is there a product that i can treat the leather which will keep it in nice condition and also tone it down a bit

Best treatment for leather seats? Recommended to me some time ago by a Rolls Royce man no less - water! (Best applied on a warm day to maximise absorption)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
When I bought my sofas, I was told to use noting on it but a damp cloth. I have leather seats in my mini, but they are a dark blue, still look good after 10 years.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Leather bed? Kinky beast!

My neighbour here in spain has leather in their Rapido, was struck how comfortable it is, looks real nice. But bed a bit OTT?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I use the Autoglym leather cleaner and treatment on ours and would say that it has it own leather smell which only last a couple of days or so, after that there is not particularly an aroma of leather, @UK Pete I don't know why yours is quite so strong, possibly just a smaller space but not sure that a treatment will stop it.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Our van has cream coloured leather upholstery and is 5 years old, the leather smell ceased after about 6 months, the boss gives it a wipe down with a damp cloth then some leather cleaner/food, still as good as new, would certainly have another van with leather seats.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have had leather in the house for almost 40 yrs and I used to use FRALING leather food once a yr -I have always only wiped it down with warm water with a little mild detergent ie Johnsons baby shampoo -very small amount in a bucket of warm water --I found in the transit with leather seats that it was more comfy to turn the leather over and sleep on the under side as my memory foam mattress slid off when I turned over :D
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I found baby wipes as good as anything for bringing leather seats back. If they are to far gone then its an expensive Connolly job.

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
Advised to use Johnson baby wipes ( no other brand) by reupholstered 3 years later as good as new

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
We use "Dr Leather" cleaning wipes (available from Amazon) on our cream leather seats...they do the job beautifully and smell lovely!

We were a bit concerned that cream leather would be a pain to keep looking good but It has proved very practical so far with far less need for the cleaning wipes than we expected...also very comfortable and cool to sit on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back