Split Charging On A 1997 Sundance 500 (1 Viewer)

G1YDQ

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
Polperro
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Hello All,
I have recently upgraded the leisure battery on our 1997 Swift Sundance 500. The original was only 61 AH, this was located under the drivers seat, daft place for access. So what did I do? I put a 105 AH battery in the same place along with another 105 AH battery under the NS seat. I linked the two batteries with very heavy duty cable, about 25mm with an isolation switch between the two batteries. Why am I telling you all this? because, I'd like your thoughts,please. I have made it possible to charge the second battery via a fly lead whilst in isolation. I would really like to have the two batteries connected to the split charger, but up until now have only had the one charging under the drivers seat. The isolation switch, isolating the second battery from the split charging. Confused yet? Anyway, my question is, will I be able to charge the two batteries via the split charging circuit without doing any harm to either battery?

In a previous post, I asked the reason why the 12v system to the rear of the van disconnected once the engine was started as we run a cool box from the 12v socket in the back of the van. It was explained, that this was the norm and a hangover from the NCC. I was told to disable part of the relay or the like. Now, I have found the relay, which I think is a five pole on/off relay.Here, my question is, can I replace this with an on/on relay? I have uploaded the wiring diagram. Again your thoughts please.

Kind Regards,

John & Denise

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram .jpg.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
OP
OP
G1YDQ

G1YDQ

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
Polperro
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Hello All,

Not sure if I have done something wrong in the above "post" as I have not had one reply. I have posted before and had the most helpful responses.

Regards,

John.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nothing wrong in putting the batteries under the seats providing they are fully sealed type (gel or AGM), wouldn't want wet acid over your legs in a prang. Keeps the weight forward allowing better load carrying on rear axle.
Normal practice to parallel both battery and have them connected to the same split charge relay.
Should be OK to run them of the existing relay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Anyway, my question is, will I be able to charge the two batteries via the split charging circuit without doing any harm to either battery?
Hi John don't worry... There will be plenty along to give you an answer..
From a quick read of your post I don't see a problem with both batteries charging ...If you have them parallel both will get a charge... why have you isolated the 2nd battery you installed???

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Leave the isolator switched on and the charging system will take care of both for you.. no problem..

OP
OP
G1YDQ

G1YDQ

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
Polperro
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Hello,
Thank you for the response re the split charging. I will now switch two batteries to be connected to the on position, in other words linked. Why did I isolate the one battery, well, tis the old, old story, you ask advice locally and everyone has their ideas. A couple of people, said it would muck up one or both of the batteries. I thought I'd isolate one of them to be on the safe side, then ask on here.
I could do with an opinion on the second part of my post re the relay situation.
Anyway, thanks once again.

Regards,
John.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi again john, im no electrician and hope someone can advise better, but I would be inclined to leave the existing system well alone unless you know someone who has done it and can advise.
if it was me and wanted a 12v supply to be live while on the move I think I might go down the road of a voltage sensing relay to supply them off the leisure batteries ... that way they would power your cool box when on the move but disconnect when the charging has stopped...
just my thoughts
ta andy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This 'no 12v in the hab area' is very specifically a brit van thing, and in my opinion is a reet pain in the parts !

As to the get around, it depends on how your van is set up.. For me, I have the Sargent system which is very comprehensive but a real sod to get round the issue..
Whilst it is easy enough to simply cut ( put in a switch ) the feed wire going to the engine voltage sensing relay, on the Sargent you have 'consequences'

It will not switch the fridge over to 12v and on mine, the engine will not charge the hab batteries.

I did do a mod that allows the water pump to keep working ( a bit of cleverness with a relay ) and I suppose I could go further and keep the light circuits on, but in reality it was only the water ( for us ) that I wished to retain whilst travelling.

On my sons 2000 Bessacar it was very easy as the fridge and charging are all switched separately.. So to retain the 12v feed all that is needed is a quick snip on the feed wire from the engine to the relay and the relay is a dead duck, allowing everything to be used in the back ..

Really, unless someone knows exactly how your particular mh is set up, the answers can be pretty random !

OP
OP
G1YDQ

G1YDQ

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
Polperro
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Right, thank's for your thoughts re the 12v in the habitation part of the van. I did, included in my original post the wiring diagram. I suppose, an on/on relay was going to be too easy, tis not my "luck"
Regards,
John.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Right, thank's for your thoughts re the 12v in the habitation part of the van. I did, included in my original post the wiring diagram. I suppose, an on/on relay was going to be too easy, tis not my "luck"
Regards,
John.
I did look at that wiring dig before I commented... not saying if it was mine I wouldn't try a work around but its always the same when its yours you are prepared to have a go and accept the consequences ...it focuses the mind more...lol but really wouldn't like to try and give advice on how to unless id done it and was sure...
when I did my conversion on a panel van I went out of my way not to mix too much in with the vehicle wiring, and on the odd occasion it was necessary it wasn't always straight fwd with one or two little surprises :), thankfully none terminal lol.. hope you find a solution that suits..
ta andy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. had a look at the map and on yours it does look as easy as cutting ( or unplugging one of the wires that goes to either pin 85 or pin 86 ( they are the coil wires in the relay )

OP
OP
G1YDQ

G1YDQ

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
Polperro
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Okay, I know what your saying Andy, tis difficult if it's not your van. And "Jaws", I'll have a look at clipping either 86 0r 87. My thinking was to get an on/on relay, you can pick them up on Ebay with the same pole configuration for under £5:00. Why they make them I have no idea, on-off I understand, but why would you put a relay to be on with power and on without, surely you just wouldn't have a relay in the first place

Regards,
John.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back