Eastern Europe - Scams to watch out for... (1 Viewer)

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Hi everybody

Just back from a 6 week trip to Croatia, via France, Liechenstein, Austria, Slovenia and back through Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Rep and Germany, Holland, Belgium (phew!)

Great trip and would recommend Croatia to anyone.

A few scams though with regard to Vignettes (compulsory for motorways in Hungary/Slovakia/ Slovenia and Czech Republic) - Welcome to the EU!!!:thumb:

When buying a vignette make sure you are not charged for the wrong classification vehicle - in Hungary, Slovakia and Czech Rep when I mentioned 'Motorhome' they immediately tried to get me to buy a ticket for the 3.5T+ classification which is a lot more (now there's a surprise). If your rig, like most is below 3.5t you only need a ticket for the Car classification, DO NOT PAY ANY MORE.

Also be aware that when you enter most of these countries there is nowhere to buy a vignette from unless you get off the motorway first. Cafes and Hotels sell them but make sure you get a receipt for your money One hotel tried to charge me 25 euros for a 2 day ticket which should have been 12 euros!!! When I asked for a receipt they suddenly got very twitchy and the price suddenly dropped!!:ROFLMAO:

Whilst writing I have to say that paying all these vignettes and tolls (more than 250 euros over our trip, which is more than I pay in Vehicle Excise Duty) made me think why we don't make all the lorries from Poland, Slovakia etc that cram our motorways pay a vignette? (especially as most of them are en route to Ireland!!!!):Doh:

Maybe another topic to discuss?

Cheers

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
rip off europe

after reading this post , why bother going there ? i , for one will certainly give that area a miss ! Portugal is the place to go to, sensible prices a great people ! :thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Good Post Thanks:thumb:

Glad you liked Croatia its on our list of must visit places

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G

Gubba Rust

Deleted User
...in Hungary, Slovakia and Czech Rep when I mentioned 'Motorhome' they immediately tried to get me to buy a ticket for the 3.5T+ classification

Also be aware that when you enter most of these countries there is nowhere to buy a vignette from unless you get off the motorway first. Cafes and Hotels sell them...

Don't be put off these countries by a few bad experiences... if you keep your vehicle registration card handy, you can show exactly which category it belongs in... if you just read the price on the vignette, you can avoid being overcharged... and if you really believe that you can't buy vignettes on the motorways and have to find cafes or hotels (!?!) you'll believe anything. I have been traveling this region for years (it's really wonderful) and with a little attention it is as easy as breathing.

It can seem expensive (that requires a little attention too, routes and timing can save you money) but you're paying much more for fuel, and with toll roads, you get what you pay for: smooth fast and efficient travel from A to B.

If the cost still depresses you, drown your sorrows with Czech beer, the best in the world, for a quarter of the price of a pint in UK.

roadtraveller

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Kings Norton, Birmingham
Funster No
Exp
20 years plus
Why bother with all that expense and bother, I went to all those countries by coach, let someone else do the hard work, you just sit back and enjoy, no cooking, no making of beds, just sit back, relax and see the sights, thats the way to go.:thumb:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
nothing changes then in these places always been the same thats why i dont bother going over that way anymore had enuff of being riped off at every border and police stop someone wants money for nothing all the time

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Why bother with all that expense and bother, I went to all those countries by coach, let someone else do the hard work, you just sit back and enjoy, no cooking, no making of beds, just sit back, relax and see the sights, thats the way to go.:thumb:

I went last Summer on the Royal Clipper,anything to take my mind of the Fiat troubles.

Welcome to Star Clippers

G

Gubba Rust

Deleted User
nothing changes then in these places always been the same thats why i dont bother going over that way anymore had enuff of being riped off at every border and police stop someone wants money for nothing all the time

You're living in the past. Except for Croatia, every country on this itinerary is in the Schengen zone, which means there are no borders at all, you just cruise through. And if you can't manage to buy a motorway toll sticker for a few quid, perhaps you should stay at home. Things do change here, for the better... just as they change for the worse in Britain.

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Except for Croatia, every country on this itinerary is in the Schengen zone, which means there are no borders at all, you just cruise through.

Gubba is correct, following the Schengen agreement there are absolutey no controls on any EU inward facing borders (Except the UK of course, but we all know the reason for that ::bigsmile:)

However, I have a theory that this wonderful freedom of movement is actually helping the criminals.

We live within 30 minutes drive of the Polish border. When our little lawn tractor was stolen in the night, the Police came the next morning and told us it would already be in Poland and there was b**gger all they could do about it. Not sure about 'hot persuit' but normal Police type investigations can not be carried out in another country, (even if they spoke the language).

Getting back on subject, we pay 1000 Kc/s for our motorway sticker per year, (about 30 pounds at current exchange rate) and you can buy them for shorter periods too 'tho not sure if it's days, weeks, or months.

In Czechland you can also use only 'normal' roads and pay nothing, but I concede that you might not live long enough to cross Czechland if you were to do that ::bigsmile: :RollEyes:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Bulldog spirit

Whats the matter with you lot!! where's your British Bulldog spirit??. :ROFLMAO:WE are MOTORHOMERs and have travelled across most of Europe no problem We use Common Sence and Get Up and Go!! :Eeek:So come on, get out there and ENJOY don't winge Europe is brilliant.:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Blimey........I travelled through Czech only last year, part motorway part country roads, and never even knew about needing a vignette!
Just kept driving and enjoying the scenery!! ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back