Free Member
Apr 2, 2015
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newie but caravaned 30 years
Hi All, My 10 year old Autocruiser only has gas heating, As a bit of a tight bugger I dont want to be useing my gas when on elec. Hookup. We have a elec. fan heater but its to noisy to use overnight, then someone suggested a small oilfilled radiator. That sounds like the ideal solution. Something not to powerful or bulky and thermostatically controlled. Any recommendations please.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
De-Longi do a good range...

We got a small one we leave on low in the winter, just enough to take the chill off and keep frost at bay...

Run our`s on number three, but do wack it up to 9 and after an hour it is hot inside.. (y)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have a small 500 watt oil filled heater
It's not large enough to warm van when it's very cold but does keep of the chill at night
this morning when I woke it was a bit chilly so I put gas heating on for 10 minutes now it's nice and warm :)
Plus it's small enough to hide in a inside locker without taking up too much space (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As a by............. I have heard or read of some splitting and leaking..

So best if you can to stand it in some kind of tray to catch any leaking oil if possible.. should that happen.. (y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Is there some way he can curtain off the front cab area as when I do this, there is a noticeable difference in the hab area. I also gave used a small 500 watt oil rad, and it definitely helped.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Try Dunelm, Poundstretchers and Original Factory Shop, they all have them in the range of 500 to 700w. but Dunelm have them at 50% off at the moment, £9.99

Broken Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As a by............. I have heard or read of some splitting and leaking..

So best if you can to stand it in some kind of tray to catch any leaking oil if possible.. should that happen.. (y)

And as a by by..... I did phone our insurers to ask if we were covered "you are not covered, this departs from the standard build which we assume when issuing cover, you can leave the built in heating on if you wish".

I leave a low wattage heater on all winter anyway, just to keep above freezing.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We also keep a small oil filled radiator in the van and leave it on a low setting overnight if it is cold and we are hooked up . Otherwise we leave the heating on low .

OP
OP
T

trevtherev

Free Member
Apr 2, 2015
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newie but caravaned 30 years
Took the plunge and ordered a 800 watt oil filled one off ebay. I would imagine that 99% of them are made in China now, buying products from recognised reputable manufacturers is no guarantee that it is not made in China nowdays. Thanks for the info.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I have a 200W block heater, which I am going to attach to a plug in thermostat. 200W would keep the chill off in winter and also be good enough to keep the MH warm-ish overnight, unless your in the Artic. Depending on the size of your MH and it's insulation of course.

Obviously, it will have to stand on a non-flammable surface or have some legs on it.

Attachments

• heater 2.JPG
    heater 2.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 23
  • heater 1.JPG
    heater 1.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 21
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
200w ! that's the warmth of a light bulb!

True, but it will keep an un-insulated, very large fibre-glass cabinet, above 10c whatever the outside temp.

Remember, over night in a MH, the bodies are also radiating heat, the amount depends upon the activities undertaken of course !

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
We have used 2 small oil filled heaters for years, one in the front and one in the rear, never had a problem, they are thermostatic, we wouldn't leave gas on all night, when not in use they fit behind the front seats, cheap on local e bay with Marin Lewis E-bay mapper,

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
buying products from recognised reputable manufacturers is no guarantee that it is not made in China nowdays.

@trevtherev
absolutely correct.. the emphasis should be on 'cheapo' .. rather than 'Chinese '

big names like De Longi, Honeywell and Dimplex are all probably made there now.

The one that caught fire in the link was aLink Removed(not 700kw as advertised in Amazon :rolleyes:) looks like it's discontinued ..

there was also a link to a recall in the US http://www.cpsc.gov/en/recalls/2007...l-filled-electric-heaters-due-to-fire-hazard/

My personal thoughts are that a small panel convector or greenhouse tubular heater is safer.. but nothing is 100% safe.. hence Brian's call to his insurer ..
I had two wall mounted ones in the RV to keep the chill off the toilet and one in the belly locker to stop the tanks and pipes freezing..

Belly locker with heater on wall ..

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back