Refillable Lpg, Manual Or Auto Changeover? (1 Viewer)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Sure there must be a thread about this, but I couldn't find one :rolleyes:.

Are there any other disadvantages of a manual changeover switch for Gaslow (or similar) other than having to do it at a possibly inconvenient time :eek: ?

Equally are there added disadvantages of an auto switchover other than possibly not knowing when you're about to run out of gas :(?

I suppose if one only has a single cylinder or an underslung tank, the debate is moot :).

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got an auto. It was on the van before we had Gaslow so it stayed in place although we almost certainly would have had one anyway. I don't really accept the not knowing when you're going to run out of gas argument unless you pay no attention at all. How hard is it to open the locker once every few days/weeks and look? You would have to do this anyway with a manual changeover. It doesn't take long to get used to how much gas you are using so that you usually have a pretty good idea of how much you have left.
Also you don't need to run out before you fill up. You can top up as often as you like so, just like with your diesel, there really isn't any reason to let it get low enough for running out to ever be a possibility. For us I keep an eye on it and usually as soon as it's changed over to the second bottle I'm looking for somewhere to top it up.

Manual on the other hand. I'm not sure I would want to be messing around with a manual changeover half way through cooking/first thing in the morning/late at night/just out of the shower/when it's pissing down (delete as appropriate) because the one thing you can be absolutely certain of is that you will always need to do it at the most inconvenient time possible.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Auto changeover is not needed on gaslow/alugas etc, just leave both valves open and you get the same effect of just one larger tank. I have remote gauges on both tanks and normally just have one turned on but could be both.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Single 11kg Cylinder - fill up before I go anywhere and I have never run out of gas.

But after the most recent habitation check I found a leak. Didn't have it before, I have no idea what the guys did to break the thread seal (Loctite?) applied by Gaslow. I stripped it down and replaced with PTFE.

Another reason why I will be doing my own maintenance from now on (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
PTFE on gas joints, even if it's the correct gas type, is a bad idea. Use Hawk White or something similar.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I had a twin Gaslow system fitted when we bought the Hymer which had a Truma Triomatic auto changeover regulator. When the Triomatic packed up (at around 8 years old) a direct replacement was no longer available so I switched to a Gaslow (Clesse) regulator with Gaslow manual changeover. It is very simple to use (just decide which bottle valve to open) and it includes a gauge to indicate how much is in the bottle. With a twin refillable system, an auto changeover is nice but not vital, since you can refill the tanks whenever you feel like it. The only time I have felt that an auto changeover might be useful is if I think one tank might run out during the night or during heavy rain (and I don't want to get wet). In practice, if I know that the in-service tank is getting low, I simply switch over to the full tank instead and fill up within a few days.

As an aside for Hymer owners with the original Truma ex-eis controller that may no longer be in use (similar to the new one shown in Lenny's picture) you can replace the redundant Truma unit with a spare Din 12V socket as there is power to that point from the EBL.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
When I fitted the Gaslow system in our first van I put an auto changeover valve in, as sods law states the bottle will empty in the middle of the night and the fridge will start bleeping, or worse halfway through cooking the dinner and its tipping it down!

I was quite surprised to find that when we bought the Pilote it had an auto change over valve fitted as standard.

Still have the Gaslow one as a spare though.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Why bother having a manual changeover when all you have to do is open the valve on one bottle and close the valve on t'other?

To me an automatic changeover is just something else to go (expensively) wrong. Yes, in theory it does usually run out at an inconvenient time but, as posted above, you quickly get used to how much gas you're using and can anticipate it.

As far as the accuracy of the gauges, well the words "chocolate" and "fireguard" come to mind......

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Manual for us, just leave both valves open or open the big tank and have the small one in reserve. Your choice.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've only got a single 11kg Gaslow bottle in our current camper as that's all that will fit in the locker (either that or two 6kg ones but we had the 11kg already), however our new Globecar camper has a much larger gas locker so as we picked up a new 6kg Gaslow R67 cylinder for less than half price at Peterborough show we'll be fitting that alongside the 11kg one. We'll just use the 11kg one until the gas level drops into the red, the turn that off and the other on, then think about filling up - we use around 1 litre of gas a day normally so the 11kg should give us up to 20 days and the 6kg at least another week ... such luxury! :D

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Why bother having a manual changeover when all you have to do is open the valve on one bottle and close the valve on t'other?
With the Gaslow manual changeover, that is all you do. The changeover unit requires no user intervention; it is merely a common junction between the tanks with a spring-loaded ball valve between and a volume gauge connected above. Changeover is effected by closing the valve of the tank being taken out of service and opening the valve of the new (full) one. The 'changeover' unit merely blocks the flow from the off-line tank and shows the contents level of the tank in service.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
With the Gaslow manual changeover, that is all you do. The changeover unit requires no user intervention; it is merely a common junction between the tanks with a spring-loaded ball valve between and a volume gauge connected above. Changeover is effected by closing the valve of the tank being taken out of service and opening the valve of the new (full) one. The 'changeover' unit merely blocks the flow from the off-line tank and shows the contents level of the tank in service.
So basically the manual changeover is a bit of a chocolate fireguard ... no better than the bottle gauges!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure I understand the relevance of that last post. I think for more information you would do better contacting Gaslow directly and asking them.

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
To me an automatic changeover is just something else to go (expensively) wrong.
Totally agree, don't have an auto change on my Alugas system, no need for it , as I have 2 hands both capable of turning a valve wheel on and off, and with practise I have it down to 4 seconds for changeover, but OH says I'm too slow and need more practice, no pleasing some people :rolleyes:(y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I bought a Gaslow system with an automatic change over.

I do not have the personality to operate it.

You have to know where you are with your use of gas.

This means you have to check from time to time which bottle you are currently drawing your gas from otherwise, as happened to me once, by forgetting to check, I ended up with both bottles empty.

I stopped using the automatic change over that very day.

I fill the bottles and shut one off. When I run out of gas I manually switch over to the full bottle and know I have to fill up at the next opportunity.

Never ever ran out again...

JJ :cool:

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I am about to buy a refillable Bottle system. What I don't understand is the need for two bottles. The MH runs on diesel which is stored in a single tank, my car runs on diesel which is stored in a single tank. I have never run of diesel on either vehicle. So why when the refillable bottle has a gauge and LPG is readily available do I need two bottles?

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I am about to buy a refillable Bottle system. What I don't understand is the need for two bottles. The MH runs on diesel which is stored in a single tank, my car runs on diesel which is stored in a single tank. I have never run of diesel on either vehicle. So why when the refillable bottle has a gauge and LPG is readily available do I need two bottles?
Probably because two bottles hold twice as much gas as one bottle thus meaning you have to fill up less frequently.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I opted for manual, I had 1x13kg and 1x6. Gaslow. I always kept the small bottle turned off so that when it ran out, I knew I had a little while to get a top up. I'm a pretty experienced motorhomer and running out has taken me by surprise before, but if you have 6kg left its not so important. Never bothered with auto switchover before as you can just open each bottle.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Fill up points are not as frequent as you might imagine. As for guages, I had these guys contact me about advertising here. It really looks like a good but of kit. http://gas-scale.com/

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What I don't understand is the need for two bottles. The MH runs on diesel which is stored in a single tank,

same reason some people add a long range diesel tank..

as Jim said..

LPG stations are not as numerous as you may think.. particularly in Spain and some parts of the UK.. like the west coast of Scotland, Highlands.. and Islands .. and none as far as I know in Morocco.
Nothing worse than having to make a long detour, just to fill up with LPG

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
a few garages in spain this winter wouldnt let anyone fill bottles anyway . the non self service attendant ones said even the refillable bottles were bottles and couldnt fill. . they checked for gas tanks underneath . gas fillers by a gas locker they wanted you to open and let them have a look.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

So basically the manual changeover is a bit of a chocolate fireguard ... no better than the bottle gauges!

Not sure I understand the relevance of that last post. I think for more information you would do better contacting Gaslow directly and asking them.

I was trying to say that the manual changeover (MCO) is actually an unnecessary piece of kit! Each of the bottles have gauges which are probably as accurate as the MCO and you can turn the bottles on individually anyway so not really any different to switching from one to the other via the MCO ... so what is the point in having an extra bit of kit which basically does the same thing!:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
  • If you're in a place where it's scarce, or you don't want to have to move your vehicle for a while, it gives you more time between fills.
  • Less likely to run out so less 'worry'.
  • If one bottle develops a problem you've still got a second one to keep you going.
  • Because the gauges on the bottles are not totally reliable!
Up to now we've only ever had one 11kg bottle and managed with that but it has meant at times that we've had to make a detour to get gas if we're getting a bit low ... such as in Spain and Portugal earlier this year where there are less gas filling stations than in France etc. Having a second bottle will be luxury!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I was trying to say that the manual changeover (MCO) is actually an unnecessary piece of kit! Each of the bottles have gauges which are probably as accurate as the MCO and you can turn the bottles on individually anyway so not really any different to switching from one to the other via the MCO ... so what is the point in having an extra bit of kit which basically does the same thing!:)

perhaps I'm missing something .. but can you explain how you connect two bottles to the same regulator without a manual (or auto) changeover valve ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back