Motorists Face New Rules For Hiring Vehicles Abroad (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
just keep the paper bit 'till it all blows over. I don't know anyone who ever carried the paper bit & I certainly didn't & was never asked, Abroad or in the UK.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Don't base your actions on one person!

I have been asked to produce my paper supporting document which of course records all points to show what law infringements I have been guilty of!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Unfortunately, not a load of ...

The lead article linked to above has got it wrong in one major respect. The DVLA code you will be required to get from DVLA is an ID code permitting the hire firm to check your driving record online at the time of check-in and collection. It - the code - is valid for 72 hours. Once you have vehicle, there is no need to renew the code every three days as the press article implies.

I've rented cars in the UK regularly over the last 10 years and have always had to produce the paper part of my licence. Similarly, I've rented in Germany and Spain and been asked for the paper on most occasions.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

The new scheme comes into effect on 8 June 2015. Chance it if you want to but I wouldn't.

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
I have hired cars all over Europe and USA / CANADA never had to show my paper bit of my EU licence.

Of the European countries I think only Malta still has a two part licence, although some eastern European countries have a passport style licences.
I would guess that most hirers abroad would not know what a paper licence looks like!

Terry

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
What a dogs dinner, car hire queues are grim at the best of times especially at the smaller airports on Greek Islands etc. The potential of this going tits up seem enormous. As hirers arrive without the correct code.
This summer we are driving to Spain in our sons car filled with the holiday stuff, we meet in Barcelona airport, they fly in and we hire another car and go up to the holiday villa. So we plan an easy ride down taking in a few stops, which mean it will probably be more than three days after leaving UK we need the hire car. So I now need to find and inter web connection to update my code. What a load of cr*p.
I can't believe it's a system that's used EU wide.
Does anyone know what other EU countries do?

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I have hired numerous times and never been asked , if it was a problem i would just go next door

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Does anyone know what other EU countries do?
I didn't know they did anything. I've hired here with a UK licence & never been asked for the paper part. Not that I ever carried it as it wasn't required.
I was never asked when I went back to the UK & hired & The last 12 years having a Spanish licence I can't believe anyone can check anyway as it is contrary to the Data protection act here & an infringement of a persons rights. Only the police can check & then only if they have the kit to do it with.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I didn't know they did anything. I've hired here with a UK licence & never been asked for the paper part. Not that I ever carried it as it wasn't required.
I was never asked when I went back to the UK & hired & The last 12 years having a Spanish licence I can't believe anyone can check anyway as it is contrary to the Data protection act here & an infringement of a persons rights. Only the police can check & then only if they have the kit to do it with.
I think the reference number allows the hirer to check the hirees record,in effect it's the hiree giving permission to access his/her license records albeit only for three days.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back