What Are People Using For Wifi/datacards In Spain? (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
We are in Portugal, and planning to go through Spain shortly. When I enquired about a PAYG data sim card in Algeriras, I was told by the Orange and Vodaphone assistants in the shops that they no longer sell PAYG sims for data, and they said you can only get them on a contract?
What is everyone else doing in Spain for Internet/MiFi

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I used my toggle PAYG sim not the cheapest at £0.15 per MB but good for calls as well, two months I only spent about £30.

Oops should have said that was on my phone not ipad.

OP
OP
horshamjack
Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the response, but we don't have UK contract, just need to buy a card in Spain for about a week's use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
We are in Portugal, and planning to go through Spain shortly. When I enquired about a PAYG data sim card in Algeriras, I was told by the Orange and Vodaphone assistants in the shops that they no longer sell PAYG sims for data, and they said you can only get them on a contract?
What is everyone else doing in Spain for Internet/MiFi

that has changed since jan/feb time.. im sure it was an orange data sim i was using in the mobile wi fi .. think the cost was £10 for 1gb ..

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Mark n Sam ,
we got a 2 Gig , data sim in Spain at a ciber kiosk , " Lebara " is the company, it was 17 e for a month worked out at £12 ,( including the sim card price ) we put it in the phone and just hot spot / tethered the laptop to it . we sent tx's to uk from it . and made local calls .

it was still working in France near cap bretton on the way home ...
The kiosk did say it would work ok in Portugal as well .

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We got an Orange PAYG Data SIM at €15 for 2GB which lasts for a month. which should last the week unless you are going to stream Tv or movies.
You can get the SIM at any Orange shop or reseller but you need your passport with you to complete and sign the forms.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I topped up our Yoigo sim with €10 on 14 march. Only got two weeks fast interweb then dial up speed. Just left my Dads villa after three weeks of his wifi, and thinking of wether to do a bar with wifi or McDs.
Turned on the huwai (sp) and here I am!
Not bad, £7 for six weeks slow web.

No rush for the page to download:sleep:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I went into one of those small independent phone/phone repair shops and asked them about data sims. They offered a choice. Remember to take your passport with you, they will need to take a note of it when purchasing.

OP
OP
horshamjack
Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
that has changed since jan/feb time.. im sure it was an orange data sim i was using in the mobile wi fi .. think the cost was £10 for 1gb ..

Yes it has. We got the same deal at Orange in Jan, but we went into Orange and Vodaphone when we returned from Moroco in April both said contract only now! Seems silly to me tbh?

OP
OP
horshamjack
Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Mark n Sam ,
we got a 2 Gig , data sim in Spain at a ciber kiosk , " Lebara " is the company,
it was still working in France near cap bretton on the way home ...
The kiosk did say it would work ok in Portugal as well .

Cheers Graham. Will scout em out when we get into Espanyol. Wifi is a damn site more expensive in Europe than Maroc(n)
Will be at Upton see you there hopefully. Love to Rose
M&S

OP
OP
horshamjack
Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
I topped up our Yoigo sim with €10 on 14 march. Only got two weeks fast interweb then dial up speed. Just left my Dads villa after three weeks of his wifi, and thinking of wether to do a bar with wifi or McDs.
Turned on the huwai (sp) and here I am!
Not bad, £7 for six weeks slow web.

No rush for the page to download:sleep:
Nice one Dar.
That was the other one. Couldn't remember the name(y) 7 squid right up my street too :)
Safe travels to you both
Be lucky
M&S

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Three has works seamlessly since we arrived In France at Easter. Here in Spain ditto. Zilch extra cost over our £16 a month contract in UK, Support brilliant compared to TMobile who we were with for years:cautious:

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
http://www.telitec.com/mobile/

CALL THE WORLD OR CONNECT TO THE INTERNET AMAZING PACKAGES AVAILABLE
(€4,72 inc IVA)

Whether you are a residential or business mobile phone user, at Telitec we can save you €, €‚ €’s on your monthly costs! With our pay-as-you-go service from Hits Mobile (Vodafone Network), we offer you the cheapest call rates in Spain from your mobile. The switch to Hits mobile service is seamless, to change from your current provider or even have a brand new number. You can take your existing number with you, and our experienced, multi-lingual staff will happily guide you through the process, whether this be from an existing contract or pay-as-you-go pre-pay service.:LOL:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Totally agree, I've been reporting on its service via this forum for some time now, now its been accepted in Spain the service for visitors has grown, let's hope in time that other non supporting countries join up also, this will fill the gap until Roaming is finally put to bed.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
How long ago were you told this in Algeciras?
The reason I ask is because I bought a Vodafone 1.2gb data simcard in Conil last month and was told to just re-load as and when. Like you, we are leaving Portugal within the next few days and will hit Galicia where I plan to visit the nearest Vodafone shop for a topup.
I'm reading the packet of the card I bought (€15) which reads " vodafoneyu, hazte superyuser 1.2gb etc." the packet is dark red/burgundy in colour if that helps.
Hoping that I will be able to reload.
Let you know if I have a problem.
INcodentally, my mifi worked beautifully whilst in Spain.

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Ive got 3 mobile broadband sim card PAYG, do I just top up before I go or do I need to contact them?

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I have a 3 mifi with 15gb a month allowance for £21.10 but it is a 2 year contract.
15gb is a lot of data to get through. I download things watch tv and use skype for phoning home and video calls and I have never run out of data.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5330_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White
Scroll down to the three price plans

You can use 3 in other countries too check out the countries that 3 cover
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

They give you a huawei router so you can use upto 5 wifi devices connected to the data usage, so 4 other people can use phones laptops tablets etc. The router can be unlocked easily too so if your touring in Europe and you want to use French Spanish or German based sims to still access the internet.

If you have BT broadband at home you can use BT FON I use this a lot. BT routers reserve a small amount of internet data for BT customers to access to the FON network. The FON network is worldwide so if you are in France for example you can still access the network from your BT account.

Broken Link Removed

They also have an android app called smart talk so you can use your home phone network to make calls even from another country check it out

Hope this helps

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
For the record, we have this morning crossed over into Spain and have successfully topped up with Vodafone. (1.2gb/1month for my mifi.
On it now to type this). Seems fine!

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
I went into the 3 shop here yesterday, the young man said 3 will work in France but not Germany! What I want is one that will work wherever we are, we won't be going into Spain though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back