LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So I thought, time to weigh it again. Got the weight, 3020 and it's 3500 max. Deep joy.

Which did not last very long, I looked at the Burstner plate on the side

Then I looked at my weights 1220, 1740.

Well under gross weight but on these figure I can't carry anything more :(

Looks like we've been illegal for 8 years.

Deleted User
Those figures don't seem to add up if your gross weight is 3500 then the axle weights on the plate can't be correct, there is always a margin, when the two axle weights are added together the sum is always greater than the max weight on the plate.

Your actual weighing's don't add up either, the sum of the two axles is 2960 and your quoted gross is 3020, a difference of 60k which is too much, they should be very close.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Those figures don't seem to add up.

Yes, it's gone down hill from post one. In the Burstner handbook there is an example calculation showing max weight at 3500. This idiot never twigged the Burstner plate actually said 3200. So we have 1650+1750=3400 on the plate.

Actual weights, 60k is a fair old error, pass ! At the local waste place the girl said "printed or written" and I asked what is the difference, "£10 or free". I went for free.

The weighing was "iffy" too. She asked me to stop with the front wheels on the bridge but because it's 4 foot up a ramp the back wheels would be a foot lower. For the back weighing the front wheels were a foot down, certainly not exactly the same as the first weigh.

I have just asked SV Tech if fitting some form of rear spring assist would boost the back capacity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Yes, it's gone down hill from post one. In the Burstner handbook there is an example calculation showing max weight at 3500. This idiot never twigged the Burstner plate actually said 3200. So we have 1650+1750=3400 on the plate.

Actual weights, 60k is a fair old error, pass ! At the local waste place the girl said "printed or written" and I asked what is the difference, "£10 or free". I went for free.

The weighing was "iffy" too. She asked me to stop with the front wheels on the bridge but because it's 4 foot up a ramp the back wheels would be a foot lower. For the back weighing the front wheels were a foot down, certainly not exactly the same as the first weigh.

I have just asked SV Tech if fitting some form of rear spring assist would boost the back capacity.

The plate makes sense now and the difference in heights would account for the difference in actual weights.
Good luck with getting an uprate.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Weighed mine an hour ago fully loaded ready to go Weds am.
Full diesel full water full gas all food and clothes and junk loaded Kawasaki in the garage leccy bikes on the back.
4600kgs
400 kgs left on gross
20kgs left on rear axles
330kgs left on front axle
Perfeck :)(y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Brian I used to own several weighbridges and all were registered as public weighbridges. You cannot get an accurate weight if the vehicle is not level if you're gonna weigh axles like that the concrete each end has to be level.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
3200 doesn't seem correct to me (but what do I know?) - even our little 5.99m low profile Chausson has a plate of 3500 max overall.

Deleted User
I once had an argument with a sergeant traffic policeman about the availability of axle weighing facilities in the area that I operate a truck in. He pointed me in the direction of the corporation public weighbridge which was up a slight ramp, when I pointed out that this method was not accurate he told me that was how they did it and it was my responsibility anyway. Really helpful chappy he was.
I had just been fined over £600 for being 11% overloaded on the front axle of a 7.5 tonner, about 40k, I moved 4 cartons from the front and it was OK. Summons said that I was grossly overloaded and dangerous this was many years ago before fixed penalty's came in and justice was meted out by magistrates who knew SFA about transport........it still rankles.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Full diesel full water full gas all food and clothes and junk loaded Kawasaki in the garage leccy bikes on the back.
4600kgs
400 kgs left on gross
20kgs left on rear axles

Losing the plot Old Age Doesn't Come Alone they say.
Used to be good at mental arithmetic :oops:
Just rechecked the weights as 20kg on the rear didn't seem right.
100kgs left on front
200kgs left on rear.
Doh :doh:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We had our Flair MOTd last week and it is virtually loaded as we travel with two people on-board----mainly fridge contents/water and Pamala's buggy to go in-----and we have 800 kilos left !!!!!
Nigel & Pamala

Reactions: JJ

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
4600kgs
400 kgs left on gross
20kgs left on rear axles

Ok I've seen your later post now and edited my response. I'm now close to max on the rear and light on the front. Something I mentioned on an uprating thread here but the gist of it was:

The only thing I would add is the increased weight on the rear axle does lighten the traction on the front and I suspect I may have grip problems similar to my old van which had a marked difference between the two. Difficult pulling away at times, particularly hill starts in the wet. With the front axle so far forward it's not easy to shift loads to compensate.

I only discovered this when checking the new weight with bikes and new towbar on the back but pulling away onto the main road from the weighbridge saw the front wheels searching for grip for a second or two, or was it just me being heavy on the throttle?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
rear axle limit often reached before all up weight reached, unless you have maxi chassis......... a light front axle ain't to cleaver either:(

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Is there not a "margin of error" on weighbridges?
They surely can't be 100% accurate!
If a registered public weighbridge 20 kgs max error allowed over the total so must be within 2okgs over 50 tons in our case. All bridges have a zero button which allows you to reset if heavy with rain muck or snow but after so many resets (can't remember how many) bridge has to be recalibrated by engineers (expensive job) steam cleaning can often get back to a minus weight then you can reset again.

Reactions: f6c

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
On the subject of weights can someone tell me if the read out of the mot brake test is likely to be the axel weights..
It's showing front weight as 1122kg and rear at 1164kg and a total of 2286kg..
I weighed the van a couple years ago and sure it was in order of 2800kg and I've added one or two bits since...so what are the recorded weights on the sheet....
Ta Andy.
20150427_190306.jpg

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks for the info guys even if it was in conflict! ::bigsmile:

No conflict I haven't owned or operated a weighbridge for 10 years or more and was talking from my own experience rather than copy n paste.

Remembering when I had my first weighbridge it was 30 ton max, 40 tonners were few and far between and 20 tonners were the norm now everyone has a 50 tonner so obviously tolerances have changed.

Used to dread the weights and measures lorry turning up once a year it meant at best operations ceased for an hour and at worst many many thousands to be spent on refurb/ recalibration, a busy weighbridge wears very quickly.

Anyway I'm packed and ready for 6 weeks away and underweight so Am I Bovvered :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Brian
....just remove the Burster plate.

the chassis is the same chassis as when it came out the base vehicle factory with the same physical load carrying capacity.

Only Burstner deemed it necessary to downplate it....not the factory.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian
....just remove the Burster plate.

the chassis is the same chassis as when it came out the base vehicle factory with the same physical load carrying capacity.

Only Burstner deemed it necessary to downplate it....not the factory.

So I pull of Burstner's 3200 leaving the FIAT 3000. I'm stuffed all ways.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I concur with Forestboy I was a weighbridge operator for years and trading standards used to come and check our weighbridge on a very regular basis the allowance was 20 kilos on our particular weighbridge some were 10 kilos and some were even less .I think most council depots have a weighbridge these days and are used to multiple weighs as motorhomes need front and back axle weights and gross weight , vosa weighstations that I have seen only have axle weights on a single narrow plate for hgv checks.Ramped entrance and exit will not give true weights

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Is there not a "margin of error" on weighbridges?
They surely can't be 100% accurate!
5% on a dynamic bridge and, in effect 5% on plate bridges too as there is a defence to being overweight in the Road Traffic Act 1988. there are certain conditions that have to be in place to get the defence but, in essence, DVSA (VOSA) will generally allow the 5% tolerance before looking to prosecute (or indeed offer a Graduated Fixed Penalty). DVSA generally allow 5% or a tonne, whichever is the lower.

Reactions: f6c
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Just to add to the above....
The tolerances are lower when the bridge is calibrated by Trading Standards than when actually used by the enforcement authorities. This is just the enforcement authorities "playing safe" and giving the culprit (sorry, customer) a little more leaway

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
@Forestboy and @mike mcglynn, OK guys whats your verdict on the VOSA roadside drive over weighbridges. Have one near us and I use it regular I have noticed weights can vary on each pass. I usually go over it 2 or 3 times sometimes the readings are the same other times can vary by 20 or 30 kg, is it anything to do with depending how central you drive over or how fast? Always try to keep central & as slow as possible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back