Planning a trip to Eurodisney (1 Viewer)

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Hi all,

Planning a trip to Eurodisney in May. Now starting to do some research and have a few questions if I may.

We will be leaving Norwich once our daughter finishes school. This is about 3-4 hours from Dover so realistically about 20:00 arrival time. So first question is, is it better to drive down to Dover and stay there overnight or to get across the channel and stay the French side?

Second question is which would you recommend, ferry or tunnel?

Once on the continent, I assume the toll road is the best option? what sort of cost should we be expecting here?

Finally we will arrive at some point in the afternoon, can we stay that night on the car park at Euro Disney or do we need to stay somewhere local and then do the last leg first thing the next morning?

Sorry for the multitude of queries, but best to get the experts advice before I start planning down the wrong route. :thumb:

regards,

Stu

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi all,

Planning a trip to Eurodisney in May. Now starting to do some research and have a few questions if I may.

We will be leaving Norwich once our daughter finishes school. This is about 3-4 hours from Dover so realistically about 20:00 arrival time. So first question is, is it better to drive down to Dover and stay there overnight or to get across the channel and stay the French side?

I like to get over there and then stay at the Calais Aire which is about 5 minutes from the docks

Second question is which would you recommend, ferry or tunnel?

Either or. Look for the cheapest at your travel time. I prefer the ferry

Once on the continent, I assume the toll road is the best option? what sort of cost should we be expecting here?

Can't remember, but to Disney I think the tolls are negligible

Finally we will arrive at some point in the afternoon, can we stay that night on the car park at Euro Disney or do we need to stay somewhere local and then do the last leg first thing the next morning?

You can park overnight, right in the park, see the directionsLink Removed

Sorry for the multitude of queries, but best to get the experts advice before I start planning down the wrong route. :thumb:

regards,

Stu

Have fun Stu:thumb:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Hi :Smile:

I'd suggest using the tunnel rather than the ferry, I think it's quicker and easier and, more importantly, it can be cheaper. However in order to get really cheap fares you have to take the later trains - we left the UK just past midnight.

This does make for a tired driver (unless you share the driving) so you could just drive for an hour in France then stop at one of the many service areas for some sleep and food & drink. If you sleep till about 6.00 / 6.30 you'll arrive at Disney at a good time.

I would use the toll road, it's faster and better. I seem to recall it was about €40 each way.

When you arrive at Disney head straight for the car park and follow signs for motorhomes, pay just for 1 day. Now, depending on how long you intend staying at mouseworld, you could consider purchasing a season pass. This entitles you to entry to both parks (1 person per pass) and gives you free parking for 12 months, they even refund the money you've already paid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
400ixl

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Thanks for the advise all.

Getting down isn't an issue time wise.

We plan to head off on the Tuesday post schools finishing and arriving at Euro Disney for the Wednesday evening. Probably do the park for the Thursday, Friday and then drive back up Saturday and find somewhere to stay and get a Monday evening crossing back.

There will only be myself driving and we will have our 6 year old daughter with us. So it will probably be a get across and find somewhere to stay as close as we can (as long as it is a safe location) to get some sleep. That way we don't need to be up too early and can take a leisurely drive down.

I'll have a look at that site Jim, thanks.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi we used to get an early morning ferry after spending the night near Dover, but it always seemed to be a rush to get there first thing. Now we go over on a late ferry and park usually at the Calais Plage Aire, however last year we tried the ferry departures car park, apart from the fact we are to big for it really it was good, eurovans will have no trouble parking and its free.

Haven't stayed overnight in the Cite de Europe car park but it looks good, overlooked by tunnel security, so I would have thought safe enough.

An advantage of the late ferries is you can book the 22.00 and if you miss it get the 23 or 24.00 and as you are only parking up over there it doesn't matter a hoot, but miss the ferry in the morning and you have lost traveling time the other side. We can't use the tunnel being LPG powered so don't have a choice.

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi ..

if you get a late ferry you can park in the ferry terminal at Calais .. follow the signs for the carpark and booking office, we have used it several times.

For reasons of security I wouldn't use an any auto route aire or the Calais aire..

Jim

OP
OP
400ixl

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Thanks, security is the main concern as we will have our daughter with us.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks, security is the main concern as we will have our daughter with us.

Hi

We have travelled extensively in France with our 8yr old daughter and use aires almost exclusively but not Auto Route ones, they have a bad reputation for break ins..

There are literally thousands of quiet safe aires, many in villages or beside the coast.. however, the one in Calais is right by the prom, gets very busy and can be noisy, also heard reports of vans having stones thrown at them or being broken into.. but that is only hearsay.. it didn't appeal to me.

Enjoy your trip, we were at Euro Disney last year, the motor home parking is excellent and as safe as you will find.

Tip..
Take your own food and refreshments into the park, the on site vendors charge silly money ..

jim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Now what does a scotsman class as "silly money" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

olley

It's 'Silly money' ... if it isn't traditional Scottish grub... :roflmto::roflmto:

I'll let Bin Laden explain :winky:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZbicLD_-XY&feature=related]YouTube - Bin Laden Is Hiding in GLASGOW, Scotland[/ame]

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi
we got a later ferry last October than we wanted, as the one we were booked on was cancelled. We arrived in Calais after midnight. While on board I asked the two French stewards in the on -board information centre what they thought about our driving to the Cite Europe aire at that time of day and staying the night in their motor home aire.
The ladies advised us they didn't think it was safe. They suggested we headed out of the exit then double back to the left to the overnight car park and ticket booking car park. We were glad we did. It is floodlit and felt very safe.
On the way home we went up to the aire at cite Europe for some late night shopping but the aire was not in the parking next to the building, but over a service road to a parking block beyond. I would have been uneasy staying there overnight.
We would have no hesitation in staying at Calais ticket car park again.

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
I've been to Euro Disney a couple times with our daughter, first time by plane, she was taken ill within an hour of landing and we spent the entire trip in the hotel room till we got an early flight home :(

Second time i was working and having spent 18 hours driving there from Devon and two 20 hour days whilst there i wasnt in the best of state to enjoy myself. Last time was new year 07/08 and there was a really nice atmosphere though.

I've always seen loads of campers in the car park there and only yesterday said to the misses i wonder if we can park their overnight as it seemd so many also did. Nice big garage just off site where you can get fuel and food, plus if you leave in the same day as you arrived they wont charge you again if your crafty.

I had exactly the same idea, drive up after work get across and stop, the one issue i have is finding some of the places mentioned or described, it would be great if people with sat nav's could also give postcodes or Lang / long of the lay bys or parking areas being described, I'd certainly be willing to help out with it.

Last edited:

Steptoe

Free Member
Jan 6, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
I have stayed at both the aire & the terminal car park and much prefered the latter (though there is some lorry noise if you are a light sleeper) and it's a lot easier to find! Toilets are available in the main building.

To access the car park from the ferry you need to head off on the motorway to the first roundabout and then come back. I guess there must be a cut-through for staff etc but I have never yet been able to find it.

If you get bored with Disneyworld you can catch the RER train into Paris from the station near the entrance. In fact for someone just wanting to visit Paris I guess that 13 euros per 24 hours in Disney's carpark is as good as a rate as anywhere, as there is no obligation to visit the parc.

Last edited:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
, the one issue i have is finding some of the places mentioned or described, it would be great if people with sat nav's could also give postcodes or Lang / long of the lay bys or parking areas being described, I'd certainly be willing to help out with it.

Hi Tink,
would this help?
Link Removed
GPS coordinates
50°57'59.03"N
1°51'43.26"E
or enter Calais, Terminal Station Est (and soon you will be able to enter Ferry Terminal).
Hope this is what you need,
Lucille

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
the one issue i have is finding some of the places mentioned or described, it would be great if people with sat nav's could also give postcodes or Lang / long of the lay bys or parking areas being described, I'd certainly be willing to help out with it.

Hi

Click the Google map link, the blue line shows the road to the ferry terminal car park.

Jim

Google Maps

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi GPS for Calais Plage Aire is 50.9663 1.8443 I have stayed there on numerous occasions without any trouble, but I agree it does get crowded.

Cite Europe Aire GPS: 50.9329 1.8114 never stayed overnight, but looks safe enough to me when we have parked there while the wife gets her shopping fix.

Olley

OP
OP
400ixl

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
The plan is now starting to take shape.

Does this sound reasonable for a week away with a 6 year old? Next stage is to get the best price for the ferry and for the disney tickets.

Anyone with any experience of the sites or general advice is very much appreciated.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
When shipping out of Dover we always use Norfolk Line to Dunkerque. It's about a two hour crossing but they do some good rates for motorhomes. Best to book online.
We also find Dunkerque less busy than Dover with no problem for an over-night stop if needed. We've also stopped in aires within an hours drive from the port, although not ideal (noisy and busy) good if you need to get a few hours sleep.:thumb:

ccl

Free Member
Sep 22, 2008
Rheindahlen, Germany
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
< 1 year
We went to Eurodisney last month for 2 nights. We had planned to get tickets and camp on the car park as suggested but we got such a good deal for a stay at the Davey Crocket ranch we stayed there instead.
The cost of the 2 nights with 3 days tickets for 2 adults and 2 childen and parking was cheaper than it would have been just for tickets! I worked out tickets and parking would have cost over 400 euros and we stayed for 250 euros. As such its worth checking the papers and travel agents for any deals. My motor home fitted OK on a parking space (<7m) outside the cabin.
The parking leaflet you get also has disclaimers about the fact you can park but not use gas for cooking etc but I was told that the camping over night was 'tolerated'. There were plenty of motorhomes there and the facilities block looked clean.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The parking leaflet you get also has disclaimers about the fact you can park but not use gas for cooking etc but I was told that the camping over night was 'tolerated'. There were plenty of motorhomes there and the facilities block looked clean.

Just to clarify ..

we stayed at the motorhome parking for three days, it is not tolerated .. it is permitted .. you pay €13 for 24hrs , they come round and collect on subsequent nights.

Cannot comment on using gas, I never saw or read any prohibition notice, we used ours and also ran a genny for charging ..

The facility block is for coach drivers, not motorhomers.. although I did see some using it ..but it is clearly signposted as Coach Drivers Only ..

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the instructions and co-ordinates, thought i subscribed to this post but must have missed that option and only just caught up with it.

I'm surprised Disney has anything for coach drivers they stopped just about everything else, you dont even get a ticket to go in the park like you used to in the early days :(

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
just done it

we did this about 6 weeks ago for the first time taking the m.home to france with our 6 year old and used the ferry from dover to calais ( paid extra for the luxury lounge and well worth it , free drinks, luxury seating, free papers and private shower and toilets ) , took motorway and stopped overnight at services foc, carried on to disney ( 30 euros for toll ) , parking at disney right by entrance at 13 euro per day, decided on return journey to avoid motorways and travelled through all villages and brilliant it was stopping off at local bakerys and for wine , cider and dinner at the side of a wonderful country view ( would not use motorways again unless in a major hurry ) park at calais port as dead safe for a morning ferry , if a long stay look at annual passes for disney , we are getting these for new year as planning a few trips over next year ( less than £600 for 3 people full 365 day access to park and parking , with discounts while in disney )
i found the return journey off motorway better on fuel than the motorway getting there
left coventry and filled with fuel at dover and drove to disney we worked out 1.25 tanks of fuel, filled at garage by disney entrance and had great drive back away from motorways got home and still had fuel left and at £60 a tank and 30 euros for toll each way there and back on motorway adds £60 to my trip:Cool:
always take a packed lunch to the park
shop in train station better prices than park
garage at site entrance good selection and resonable prices

have a great time

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp