Tow Bar Mounted Bike Rack (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Can anybody help please? We've got a 2013 Autotrail Apache 634 with the rear mounted spare wheel. There is a Witter detachable tow ball fitted. Has anybody got an Autotrail and uses a bike carrier, and if so what make is it so that it clears the spare wheel. I am thinking at the moment of getting a 3 bike carrier but only using the 2 rear racks for the 2 e-bikes. The front rack (unused) would go under the spare wheel to give clearance for the bikes. I know this sounds as clear as mud but hope there is someone who understands what I mean. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
We have the Atera ebike towball mounted 2 bike rack, it's the bees knees, not the cheapest but it will take two 30kg bikes, we have no spare for it to clear, but I do have a rear rack that it clears when I loosen and turn the handlebar of the rear of the two bikes. It's the upright at the rear that'll foul your spare, not the bike, so a three bike rack wouldn't help, mine is on a flange mounted towball and looking out of the back window I can see it's about 30 cm from the rear wall of the van.

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Have you looked at the Twinny bike racks here is a web link
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
We have a Auto trail Scout, with the fixed tow bar, we have a Thule 916 tow all mounted rack, carrying two e bikes. The rack is faultless, there are two problems, the first is the ground clearance of the rack is the same as the rear ended of the van making ground clearance difficult on sloping drives, the second is the hadle bars are about an inch from the spare wheel cover and could rub when going over a bump, to compensate this I turn the handle bars in line with the bike frame, which is also better when putting on the bike cover . To get over the rear end problem we have bought a tow ball height adjuster hopefully this will sort out the rear end problem, I hope all this drivel makes sense

OP
OP
Ninovan
Oct 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Thanks all. I was looking at the Saffier; the upright is between the front and the middle rack so it looks as though it might clear the spare and it's easy to turn the handlebars. Folding pedals might help too. Have to get out there with the tape measure! The only other worry might be grounding on slopes because it adds quite a bit to the overhang. @Steve devon , I don't think I can use a towball extender due to having a detachable swan neck & nothing to fix it to. @Voyger1010 , I had a look at the Twinney and cant see what holds the bikes upright from the photo. Surely can't be held just by the wheels? :eek:

Last edited:

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Surely can't be held just by the wheels?
Noooooo well mine didn't , if you look carefully, you will see that there are two uprights (one for each bike )that fits the pedal crank arm with a strap, that holds the bike upright and very steady, with the wheel straps as well. I used mine on motorhome and a scenic car, used to go down to Swansea from the midlands every weekend , really was a great piece of kit.
hope it helps

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
I fitted a BAKRAK unit with 2 bike mounts on it. Really well made & not expensive so gets my vote. You can change it around & fit all sorts of things like boxes, kennels etc etc. have a look on their website

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Hi again niñovan, just had my MMM June issue magazine and on page 188 there an article on fitting a tow ball mounted bike rack which you may find VERY helpful.
Cheers

OP
OP
Ninovan
Oct 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Thanks again. @Cossieg the Bakrak looks good but the centre of my towball is only 7mm from from the (extended) line of the spare wheel cover so the mast would foul. @Voyger1010, thanks for that, have't got my MMM yet so waiting with bated breath! Sounds good (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back