Don't Trust Supermarket Air Lines! (1 Viewer)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
A couple of weeks ago the low tyre pressure warning light came on on my car. Went to Asda checked them all and everything seemed ok, drove off and the warning light went out. Happened again this week and did the same, but this time the warning light didn't go out. I then went to the local tyre fitter which I have used for both car and MH for years and they tested all the tyres. The up shot of all this is that my tyres which I had inflated to 32psi were reading 42, 46, and 48 psi!!! Everything put right by the experts and the system has reset and warning light gone out.
On the advice of the fitter I will be returning to them every month for my tyres to be checked at no cost.
Moral of this story - don't assume that supermarket air lines are accurate!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
For £3.49 , free postage - this is a permanent member of my tool kit.

I prefer this, no batteries, but I'm sure it was cheaper when I bought one....

Broken Link Removed

Whatever you get just calibrate it once against one or two others.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Thought Tesco's were grocers at heart. :D

Reactions: JJ

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

Broken Link Removed

That's amongst the gauges I use, nice and flexible to fit at any angle. I have a gauge in each of 3 vehicles and this one in the garage plus the gauge on the compressor. Any that don't read the same as the others gets dumped. Don't remember the last time I used a garage airline.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Have I missed something?

Won't the pressures RISE if not checked when stone cold? If someone drives to the garage/tyre fitting place, then won't they be higher than first checked?

Mine rise by a couple of PSI on the off-side when the sun is on them for a while. Also, the TyrePal shows 65psi when I start off, then the pressure all round increases +/- 10lbs after running for a while.

OP
OP
Cal54

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Wingman; the tyres were virtually cold as both Asda and the tyre fitters are within a mile of my home. Also a correct reading was evident by the tyre fitter on the following day when I revisited to check everything out.
I am aware of the increase when tyres are warm as I also have Tyre Pal in my MH. My concern is that supermarket machines are possibly not calibrated often enough, and, like others have said, the better option is to have a decent gauge in my toolkit.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
For £3.49 , free postage - this is a permanent member of my tool kit.

Broken Link Removed

Like you, I don't trust supermarket air lines (when they're working and when you have enough change) :)
These are difficult to position on the valve. Tend to lose air trying to position it correctly.

Broken Link Removed

This is a much better design.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
These are difficult to position on the valve. Tend to lose air trying to position it correctly.

Well that's very strange, I find it very easy to use and far far superior to the other type suggested.

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I've got a 12v Ring compressor where you have to screw the inflation line onto the valve. Nice bit of kit, blows a tyre up really quickly, but you try connecting it without going cross threaded & losing even more air :(. Also when you disconnect, as you unscrew it you lose air. Been trying to find an alternative connector to attach to the pump but no luck yet. (n)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back