Problems With Sky & Tracvision (1 Viewer)

Jul 3, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 yrs
I have heard that on Wednesday this week - the powers that look after/tinker with the Astra 2E satellite decided that it needed more tweaking!! As a result my Tracvision 4 and Sky box will not pick up any signal unless I go and have it updated! After they have finished tweaking it may go back to 'normal' or what it was before and I then have to go and and it updated again?
Does anyone else have this problem - its only with skyboxes in motorhomes - all free to air boxes haven't had the problem. Grrrrrrr..............................

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It is only Sky boxes. In essence if you could select BBC1 prior to turning on the KVH the system would still work. So if your using an Avtex with a built in decoder, then turn the TV on, select BBC1 and then turn on the KVH

The KVH acquires a signal, locks on, you flick the green switch and view as normal.

As your Sky box will only work on Astra2 and is not a FTA box it simply will not let you select a channel until it is happy is has a signal, which as a house never moves, once it is set up it always will have!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Lost everything on a FTA box, decided to retune,nothing, tried factory reset, nothing, tried again this morning to retune, got it all back again. Didn't miss much as with FTA I can tune into Astra 1 and watch German, French and other rubbish, why do I bother.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I have heard that on Wednesday this week - the powers that look after/tinker with the Astra 2E satellite decided that it needed more tweaking!!
No changes or tinkering has been made to the 2E satellite itself...it is still where it is on the same power, in the same location...

but a number of frequencies across all three of the UK TV satellites have changed their FEC from 2/3 to 5/6...over the past week to fortnight, and probably more to come. By doing this they can increase the "space" on each frequency, to put more channels on one frequency.

eg the Sky News and Pick TV frequency 12207 v 27.5 2/3 changed to 12207 v 27.5 5/6.

This has affected channels on Sky and Freesat boxes - but they automatically update to the new frequencies any way.

What you may have problems with is if your system uses one of those frequencies to "lock on"...

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Great update Satandpcguy, I am away from base using an Oyster system on my motorhome. Just to mention, a loss of signal strength on some frequencies on 1.35m in Murcia. Mainly regional BBC, but can change to others when needs be.

OP
OP
Sonia3
Jul 3, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 yrs
Thanks everyone for their replies - but I only have a Sky box linked to by Avtex tv - no other aerial or ability to get a BBC1 signal - so I'm stuck - till I come up and see you Vanbitz - and you make it all better for me!! Thanks

OP
OP
Sonia3
Jul 3, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 yrs
Hi, My avtex is a W193DR model with digital tv. However, my sky box is on HDMI 2 and because I do not have any external aerial I can not actually get a pic on the tv when I retune to digital tv. Sorry, this may sound a bit 'thick' but I am well out of my comfort zone here! Any suggestions would be really helpful - hope to go to France in a week and didn't really want to make a trip to Vanbitz (not that I don't love seeing all you guys there!!) before we went! Many thanks.....

OP
OP
Sonia3
Jul 3, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 yrs
You're quite correct - it doesn't have a satellite decoder - its very good but old school!! Don't really want to pay £350 for a new TV - I'll have to go up and see Eddie and the boys in Taunton I think!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back