Warning - Three In Europe (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We just had a bit of a shock when trying to use a Three pay monthly phone in Europe
The phone worked fine in those countries included but when I tried to buy a Euro Internet Pass for Getmany and the Netherlands was told by Three that these are not available to business customers
Three said my only option was to pay 40p per megabyte to browse the Internet, which by my reckoning would have cost us hundreds of pounds a week
Retail customers are not affected by this but business customers should beware

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Turn of roaming and enjoy your trip......wifi available almost everywhere....

we are in spain on three contract and it has worked seemlessly this trip as soon as we arrived in France

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Three feel at home thing is very clearly aimed at folk going on holiday.

I'm using it at the moment in Spain and it is working but slow. My O2 mobile costs me £1.99 a day for theoretically unlimited data although they have ways of restricting usage if I started try to watch TV. However, it is much faster than Three so far. My suspicion is the partners Three are using are not exactly prioritising Three traffic - but that may be unfair and only based on my limited experience of it so far.

So my suggestion would be look to someone else than Three, but thanks for the warning. I will be close to the Portuguese border soon and if my Three mifi logs on to a Portuguese provider it will suddenly cost a fortune to use it.

Lots of traps for the unwary!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The most you can legally be charged for data roaming by any European operator is 19p per MB, but still this is fairly expensive. :(

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Turn of roaming and enjoy your trip......wifi available almost everywhere....

we are in spain on three contract and it has worked seemlessly this trip as soon as we arrived in France
Easier said than done at times, when you're using data for:
Campercontact to find your next aire (The downloadable version is not great)
Google maps when cycling
Trip advisor for finding places to eat
We found wifi was seldom available on aires

Thankfully Mrs C's phone is still on EE and has a fairly inexpensive European add on

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
EE is more reasonable on non three feel at home destinations. Best ever was BlackBerry, real cheap international roaming until they pulled it :(

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just to update, Three fine in Spain using mifi for the past week or so, in fact much quicker than my Spanish contract system.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Three said my only option was to pay 40p per megabyte to browse the Internet, which by my reckoning would have cost us hundreds of pounds a week
Retail customers are not affected by this but business customers should beware
Cheaper to buy a second phone on a retail contract than spend that amount?

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Cheaper to buy a second phone on a retail contract than spend that amount?
Couldn't agree more Gellyneck
We're planning to buy a Mifi - with a Three roaming data sim card on a retail contract at £10 for 1GB
Mrs C's roaming upgrade on EE is £99 for 2 GB, so we're saving money from day one!
Then we can either opt to buy a Europe upgrade for the Three card for the countries not covered at £5 per day, or if we're in that country for a while, simply buy a local data sim card
Could be a plan?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Couldn't agree more Gellyneck
We're planning to buy a Mifi - with a Three roaming data sim card on a retail contract at £10 for 1GB
Mrs C's roaming upgrade on EE is £99 for 2 GB, so we're saving money from day one!
Then we can either opt to buy a Europe upgrade for the Three card for the countries not covered at £5 per day, or if we're in that country for a while, simply buy a local data sim card
Could be a plan?
Haven't looked into 3 mifi costs \ availability on the Continent yet but currently using a 3gb for £10 in UK. Would be interested in what you find out about using it overseas.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Haven't looked into 3 mifi costs \ availability on the Continent yet but currently using a 3gb for £10 in UK. Would be interested in what you find out about using it overseas.
We're off to Norway in 3 weeks so will be able to do a good test - will report back

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I've downloaded camper contact and paid for it.
The paid version downloads to your phone/tablet, and the best thing Is, you don't need wifi for it. You get all the info including pics.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I've downloaded camper contact and paid for it.
The paid version downloads to your phone/tablet, and the best thing Is, you don't need wifi for it. You get all the info including pics.
Exactly right, but if you're offline the maps are not as good and with the online web version all the reviews are translated into English whereas on the App they are not.
A small point I know, but I do like to read the reviews if poss

Last edited by a moderator:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I find the map ok, but you're correct about the reviews. I would just go by the score. Anything above 5 acceptable.
We are at one in Portugal at the moment scored 7, but I would give it 9. Well cared for. Very clean. Great views.All facilities and you wake up to the birds lol

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I find the map ok, but you're correct about the reviews. I would just go by the score. Anything above 5 acceptable.
We are at one in Portugal at the moment scored 7, but I would give it 9. Well cared for. Very clean. Great views.All facilities and you wake up to the birds lol
We've been working just on the score, like you suggest and it seems to work out just fine.
I set our minimum score as 7 and have found more than enough aires to choose from.
Have you tried using the 'Near Me Now' function on Tripadvisor app?
It's been a great way of finding places to visit and local restaurants once you've arrived somewhere.
Glad you're enjoying Portugal. We've just booked our December crossing and plan to visit Spain and Potyugal in search of some January sun

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Worth also looking at the date of reviews in CC. We were about to go to an Aire in Northern Spain this week, graded over 7 in the app but the two reviews from 2015 were a 1 and a 2. I couldn't understand the Cloggie but clearly something had changed. In a spirit of discovery we probably should have gone and written an English language review - but we didn't and went somewhere else!

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Worth also looking at the date of reviews in CC. We were about to go to an Aire in Northern Spain this week, graded over 7 in the app but the two reviews from 2015 were a 1 and a 2. I couldn't understand the Cloggie but clearly something had changed. In a spirit of discovery we probably should have gone and written an English language review - but we didn't and went somewhere else!
That's why I like to read the reviews if possible do I can decide if the comments made are simply spiteful / unrealistic or if there is a real problem

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back