Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
returning to motor homing.
Hi
I plan to install a new double din head unit in my motorhome which will be the display for a wired reversing camera. Can any members give advice regarding routing the wiring? Basically, should I go under the floor of the van and come up in the engine bay or try and find a way from front to back of the van internally. The van is a 2010 Swift Sundance which has a plastic moulding on the top of the rear panel to accommodate a camera but accessibility does not look good so this is probably not an easy option.

Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
We installed a reversing camera on our swift kon tiki and found the easiest way to wire was to run cable along chasis untill under drivers seat where there was a hole through to interior where leisure battery cables enter. Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I decided to run mine through the inside, to put it bluntly it was a pig of a job, But I like to do a job once properly and not to have to revisited if possible,
Lots of furniture/ fittings to move and then refit, with the end result a video that is clear and doesn't break up like the wireless one fitted to the van originally,
About a days work all in, if I had been a gynaecologist perhaps I could have done it quicker ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi
I plan to install a new double din head unit in my motorhome which will be the display for a wired reversing camera. Can any members give advice regarding routing the wiring? Basically, should I go under the floor of the van and come up in the engine bay or try and find a way from front to back of the van internally. The van is a 2010 Swift Sundance which has a plastic moulding on the top of the rear panel to accommodate a camera but accessibility does not look good so this is probably not an easy option.
I think you'll find the wiring is already there. To check, open the top glove box, there are 4 star bolts inside it which hold it in place. Undo these and remove the box, look underneath into the dashboard, there should be a thing that has 2 sockets that look almost like network cable, the cable is an off white colour. That is the video feed from the camera.
If you have that, you simply need to plug the head unit video in to this.
I am not near the van so I can't take photos at the mo, but if you need more help, I can get this for you tomorrow.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steely Daniel

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
I think you'll find the wiring is already there. To check, open the top glove box, there are 4 star bolts inside it which hold it in place. Undo these and remove the box, look underneath into the dashboard, there should be a thing that has 2 sockets that look almost like network cable, the cable is an off white colour. That is the video feed from the camera.
If you have that, you simply need to plug the head unit video in to this.
I am not near the van so I can't take photos at the mo, but if you need more help, I can get this for you tomorrow.
Thank you for an extremely helpful reply. I have only taken out the existing head unit so far and I will be investigating further over the weekend and will keep my fingers crossed that I may find some cables lurking under the dashboard. My van does not actually have a top dashboard as it has a passenger airbag. Maybe I will try to access from the lower glovebox.
Can I ask if the van that you are describing was a Swift Sundance? If it was, was it the model with the grey plastic moulding at the top of the rear grp panel? This will be my next move to try and remove the panel and discover if there is a wire in place behind the panel.
Thanks again

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steely Daniel

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
I decided to run mine through the inside, to put it bluntly it was a pig of a job, But I like to do a job once properly and not to have to revisited if possible,
Lots of furniture/ fittings to move and then refit, with the end result a video that is clear and doesn't break up like the wireless one fitted to the van originally,
About a days work all in, if I had been a gynaecologist perhaps I could have done it quicker ;)
You are describing exactly, the job that I imagine it to be!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steely Daniel

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
We installed a reversing camera on our swift kon tiki and found the easiest way to wire was to run cable along chasis untill under drivers seat where there was a hole through to interior where leisure battery cables enter. Hope this helps
Thanks for the info. This will be the easiest route if I do not find any pre installed wiring and if I put the camera at number plate level.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Can I ask if the van that you are describing was a Swift Sundance? If it was, was it the model with the grey plastic moulding at the top of the rear grp panel? This will be my next move to try and remove the panel and discover if there is a wire in place behind the panel.
Thanks again
Yes it is, we own a 2011 Swift Sundance 630L, I intend to get you some piccies later today, we're off out in her this weekend. Are you sure there isn't a top glove box? We also have a passenger air bag, on top of the dash there should be a panel that lifts up, revealing another glove box.
Yes we do have the camera moulding at the top at the rear. To the best of my knowledge, having hired many Swifts, the camera is already there in the moulding, they were fitted as standard. The bit that will be missing is the screen at the front.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steely Daniel

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
Yes it is, we own a 2011 Swift Sundance 630L, I intend to get you some piccies later today, we're off out in her this weekend. Are you sure there isn't a top glove box? We also have a passenger air bag, on top of the dash there should be a panel that lifts up, revealing another glove box.
Yes we do have the camera moulding at the top at the rear. To the best of my knowledge, having hired many Swifts, the camera is already there in the moulding, they were fitted as standard. The bit that will be missing is the screen at the front.
Hi
Yes you are right there is a top glove box. There are six screws. Two hidden under where the lid pivots. Should have time at the weekend to work out how to get those out. Possibly looks like you pull out a pivot pin on the left hand side. Unfortunately I do not have the camera in the silver housing at the rear of the van. I think my model year was when they just started putting the newer rear end on the Sundances so I missed out on the camera. Anyway still hoping that they may have had the sense to future proof by pre installing the cable. Keeping fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steely Daniel

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
Quick update. I didn't realise that the lid stays on the van. So glovebox was removed and the 6 pin din plug you described is there. There apparently is a module that it plugs into if the standard Swift camera/monitor is fitted. I will be installing a double din head unit which will be the monitor so I will need to adapt the six pin plug so that it has a video output. Does the Swift/Sargent module provide a standard video output? The other problem will be the other end of the cable if it is present behind the silver cover at the rear of the van. I imagine most aftermarket cameras have a cable built in and not plugged into the unit, so it will be a matter of identifying what each wire does.

Upvote 0

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
Hi,

Personally with all these typical installations starting again with all your own complete new equipment and wiring is the best solution.

We would run our own new complete cabling in protective split conduit from the rear to the front underneath the motorhome following existing looms between the chassis members coming into the drivers footwell (once removed). Then up from there into the drivers side dashboard area (once removed) giving you good access then behind the radio recess.
As you have the drivers side dashboard area already down, remember you are going to need a reverse signal input for your head-unit which you can find behind the drivers fuse board?. This can be identified of course with your probe?

You will also want to install a permanent inline 12v switch to independently power your head unit so it can be left on longer than 30 minute timed intervals..

With the dashboard area down this also gives good access to run cables for Microphones/dab antenna/nav aerial all depending on what spec your head unit comes with?

When trying to identify and adapt or hack into what Swift may have or not installed can be a real pain if you went to all the time to install a camera system at the back and wired incorrectly to then blow your camera up when plugging in..

Because we all know that Swift will never of course give the information out!!

The other option with camera and stereo installations is let someone that works with motorhomes every day of the week to install such items to then receive the added bonus of a warranty ;)(y)

Have fun :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steely Daniel

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
Hi,

Personally with all these typical installations starting again with all your own complete new equipment and wiring is the best solution.

We would run our own new complete cabling in protective split conduit from the rear to the front underneath the motorhome following existing looms between the chassis members coming into the drivers footwell (once removed). Then up from there into the drivers side dashboard area (once removed) giving you good access then behind the radio recess.
As you have the drivers side dashboard area already down, remember you are going to need a reverse signal input for your head-unit which you can find behind the drivers fuse board?. This can be identified of course with your probe?

You will also want to install a permanent inline 12v switch to independently power your head unit so it can be left on longer than 30 minute timed intervals..

With the dashboard area down this also gives good access to run cables for Microphones/dab antenna/nav aerial all depending on what spec your head unit comes with?

When trying to identify and adapt or hack into what Swift may have or not installed can be a real pain if you went to all the time to install a camera system at the back and wired incorrectly to then blow your camera up when plugging in..

Because we all know that Swift will never of course give the information out!!

The other option with camera and stereo installations is let someone that works with motorhomes every day of the week to install such items to then receive the added bonus of a warranty ;)(y)

Have fun :)

Hi
Thanks for the input. I agree that paying someone to do it all would be the easy sensible option. However I enjoy the feeling of achievement of doing things myself and learning something along the way. What is also maintaining my enthusiasm is that I have found a link to the Sargent website technical page which gives you the wiring diagrams for Swift motorhomes. With this info, using the existing wiring is extremely viable.
I plan to contact Sargent to establish what outputs their module provides and if this would be relevant to a standard head unit with a rear camera input.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steely Daniel

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
Heard back from Sargent. They have confirmed that the wiring is pre installed in the Sundance and they have the kit including camera and module that they fit available for around £107. Result!
Thanks to all for the helpful advice.

Upvote 0

Brian Roberts

Free Member
May 12, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
2010 Swift Sundance 590RS
Exp
I have purchased my camera kit from Sargent Electrics for our Swift Sundance 590RS ,can you tell me where you fit the camera on the dashboard and how , anybody

Upvote 0

Brian Roberts

Free Member
May 12, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Exp
Can anybody who has fitted a reversing camera on a swift 2010 Sundance tell me where and if they screwed it down please

Upvote 0
D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have a reversing camera kit which I bought off eBay. I was thinking of running the cabling underneath along the chassis but not sure where to mount the rear camera. Someone mentioned they were thinking of fitting their camera just above the rear number plate. I was wandering if this would be a good place or not as I would imagine a lot of spray and road muck would get thrown up in the wet. Where d you guys have yours mounted?

Upvote 0

Brian Roberts

Free Member
May 12, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Exp
We've mounted ours on the front on the clip board panel , seemed the obvious place really haven't Finished installing it at the moment though

Upvote 0

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have a reversing camera kit which I bought off eBay. I was thinking of running the cabling underneath along the chassis but not sure where to mount the rear camera. Someone mentioned they were thinking of fitting their camera just above the rear number plate. I was wandering if this would be a good place or not as I would imagine a lot of spray and road muck would get thrown up in the wet. Where d you guys have yours mounted?
You need to mount it as high up as possible, if you install it at number plate level it will get dirty and no help at all very quickly.

Upvote 0

Brian Roberts

Free Member
May 12, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Exp
Oh right we've actually mounted that just under the high braking light

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
The van I've just bought has a camera installed (sadly above number plate, given comments above) with 6 pin din connectors (1cm diameter), however, the monitor was duff; replaced it like for like but new version has bare wires and can't seem to locate 6 pin connector (male) to connect with existing - would be happy to remove existing and replace with a new pair of ?? suggestions please?

Upvote 0

Poppete

Free Member
May 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 530LP
Hi everyone, I have a Swift Suntor 530LP 2008 on a Fiat Ducato. Fitting an Alpine Halo 9 and of course all existing wiring is incompatible. Also fitting new reversing camera which in the best position high up with the brake lights. Cannot find out, and believe me I’ve tried, where the existing cable is routed. And help or advise would be very welcome. Peter. Thanks

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Poppete I was lucky to find a local business who was able to replace the reverse display (instead of the rear view mirror) in just 5 mins. my wiring was concealed above the window behind the trim. I wouldn't have guessed!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back