Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
My boy took a tumble yesterday, not sure how, oldest daughter was looking after him at the time. The outcome was he wouldn’t put his right rear leg down and looked in distress. Thought it best to take him to the vets who suggested an X-ray to make sure nothing was broken.

I’m pleased to say everything turned out fine.

I took him in at 16:20, I remember looking at the clock, the vet rang me at 17:15 to say I could pick him up at 17:45 – total cost £221.41

When I come back I want to be a vet, then I could afford a much bigger motorhome.

Brian

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I took one of my dogs for her yearly jabs . Whilst there noticed a lump so vet had a look , then we did x ray; then ultrasound, then 2x local anaesthetic for 5 x biopsies. + couple stitches. =175€ including the lab report on biopsies(benign)(y):)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
tell me about it..

had our two at the vet for rabies jabs for Pets Passport.. £200 (they already have micro- chips or that would have been another £100 )

while there the vet said they needed their other booster jabs.. £60 each .. = £120 (return visit for them)

total for a 15 min visit = £320 ..

I left feeling I'd been mugged..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our Benji needed an x Ray yesterday £182 good job we have insurance , it costs £8 month but if any further treatment necessary we are covered up to £4k (y)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Another vote for insirance!!!

One of ours is going in on friday to have dental stuff done...some out and the rest cleaned... £300ish

Mind you thats cheaper than a dentist! !!

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Our Benji needed an x Ray yesterday £182 good job we have insurance , it costs £8 month but if any further treatment necessary we are covered up to £4k (y)

That is cheap, if I can ask, who's that with?

I'm presently with More Than, paying £34 a month with a £75 excess.

Brian

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
tell me about it..

had our two at the vet for rabies jabs for Pets Passport.. £200 (they already have micro- chips or that would have been another £100 )

while there the vet said they needed their other booster jabs.. £60 each .. = £120 (return visit for them)

You have, admittedly it was 3 years ago, but I was charged £92 for annual booster, rabies jab and issue of passport whilst there.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
That is cheap, if I can ask, who's that with?

I'm presently with More Than, paying £34 a month with a £75 excess.

Brian

Brian, I have misled you, just looked at policy and it is £9.14 per 28 days and is with www.pet-insurance.co.uk and scanning the policy cannot see mention of excess, if I find it I will post on here.

Yes, excess on Vets fees is £95, a bit steep but the policy premium is worth going for .

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I think vet fees have gone up because of pet insurance. The days of James Herriot are long gone.

I have to admit the first thing the vet asked me was "do you have insurance?" and "who with".

Happily they had all the correct claim forms to hand and offered to send them off :rolleyes:

Brian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yester-year; take your dog to the vet with Diarrhoea, you get advice to not feed him for a day, maybe be subscribed some Kaolin and Morphine powder to sprinkle on a light meal of rice and chicken. £10 max

This year, stool sample and lab test, negative? Lets do a blood test to make sure. A course of these tablets.....>££££££

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Brian, I have misled you, just looked at policy and it is £9.14 per 28 days and is with www.pet-insurance.co.uk and scanning the policy cannot see mention of excess, if I find it I will post on here.

Yes, excess on Vets fees is £95, a bit steep but the policy premium is worth going for .

Still seems good value, I'd be surprised if there wasn't an excess.

Both posting at the same time :D

Brian

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
tell me about it..

I think you need a new vet. Those charges are taking the p!%&

Ours:
Rabies jab & pet passport £46 each dog.
Microchipping, not sure because ours were already done by the breeder but I believe around £25 if you have it on its own. I know they offer something they call "best start in life" for puppies which includes both initial vaccinations, microchip, 3 months of flea and worm treatment and 6 months of health checks for less than £100. When I took ours as we didn't need the chip they gave me an extra months flea and worm both times.
Booster jabs about £15 or £99 for lifetime boosters.
Not on your list but ours recently had kennel cough boosters as the lady who home boards them when we can't take them with us asks for it. £12 each.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
agree.. but we live in a 'wealthy' country market town where there is no competition .. :rolleyes:

that is the norm..

Worth a bit of travelling if you could potentially have saved £200 on that visit alone?

http://www.vets4pets.com/find-a-practice/?aps=4081450~[MV]POSTCODE=suffolk~

Can't recommend them highly enough. Our local one is the best vet practice I've ever dealt with. Even the one time I've needed to go for something non-routine the cost for the visit and some drugs was way below the excess on the insurance.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
If you think dogs are expensive try horses , I think that the issue with vets these days is that it's all driven by insurance company lawyers ,my daughters cat looked very unwell so off to the vet it went, found a lump and they took a test ,had to wait a week for the results,poor cat was in agony waiting on the outcome ,end result was terminal ,the whole thing was a disgrace ,poor beast should have been put down earlier ,but unless the vet has a piece of paper from a laboratory then the insurance won't pay the bill

When I had my garage I had a Mercedes in with a dent and other damage , I priced the job for a new skin and paint, anyhow I felt that there was a slim chance I could get the dent out using pointless dent removal tools , I got the dent out and had a conscience moment , I'd best give the customer a discount, customer cones back happy with job ,got chatting and asked what do you do for a living ,I'm a vet she says :)
Discount idea was forgotten (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Our two had their booster jabs a couple of weeks ago £136.00 - that incuded kennel cough (just in case the daughter won't have them for the Bristol meet):(

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Paid £64 yesterday for annual booster + rabies booster (3 year).

Vet said to come back in 4-5 weeks to have a second injection as some new strains of infection had to be catered for in the annual booster for this year only and the cost was being covered by the vaccine supplier?

Anyone else been told this?

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp

My quote for a 3 year old GSD is £15 per month. Excess £209 +20% of remaining fee.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Vet said to come back in 4-5 weeks to have a second injection as some new strains of infection had to be catered for in the annual booster for this year only and the cost was being covered by the vaccine supplier?

I asked about the rabies booster and he said it had to be done next year , then every third year..

as someone said on here that it was every three years I questioned this, he said it had changed, so maybe that is what he was referring to ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I asked about the rabies booster and he said it had to be done next year , then every third year..

as someone said on here that it was every three years I questioned this, he said it had changed, so maybe that is what he was referring to ?

No it hasn't. It's every three years apart from possibly one manufacturers version of the vaccine. None of the more popular ones need a booster after 12 months. Ask your vet to use Vanguard or Nobivac both of which are easily available and neither of which need a booster after 12 months.

There was quite a detailed thread on here about it a little while ago if I remember correctly but I can't seem to find it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No it hasn't. It's every three years apart from possibly one manufacturers version of the vaccine. None of the more popular ones need a booster after 12 months. Ask your vet to use Vanguard or Nobivac both of which are easily available and neither of which need a booster after 12 months.

too late now.. had them done..

the vaccine used was Rabisin.. (I have the data leaflet) .. and he specifically said it had to be boosted next year.

no wonder we don't trust vets..

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
My dog is on our vets VIP system. Approx £11 per month and that covers worming, flea/tick treatment, annual jabs and health check including nail clipping. Anything else I pay for but with a 10% discount off the price.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp

The extra jab was to do with the annual booster not the rabies which was last done in 2012.

he said between Sept 2014 and Sept 2015 they were giving the second injection free of charge. I assumed it was because by then the extra infections he mentioned would have been included in the vaccine.

Last edited:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision

Yes, we have. We were told it was to do with additional cover for two other strains of something (sorry can't remember what now).

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
We had to pay £750 for Bandits last set of x-rays only to be told that there was nothing more they could do.
We paid over £10k (not including annual jabs etc ) in bills in the 14 years we had her.

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
I have an 8 year old cavalier king charles"girl". Iam with Sainsburys, my monthly fee is £58.00, no major enquiries with dog for about 4 years. Previous suspected Pancreas problems, now on light food, prior to that metal rod in leg when she was two.. Thought about cancelling Insurance last year, but decided against it. When i spoke to the rep at Sainsburys and commented that i thought fees were getting high, had absolutely no empathy from the female the other end. She just suggested i go for a cheaper insurance , but would not get covered for any existing illnesses. Managed to get a 30.00 shopping voucher, but that was it. I dont know who is driving the fees, the vets, or the insurance companies. Needless to say, our pet is a family member, so we have to run with the costs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back