Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Harlow
Funster No
MH
Elddis 175 Prestige
Exp
since 2012
I have just got off the phone from Garmin. I had asked them if the motorhome software could be uploaded to my existing satnav. they advised that there are some 3rd party companies who have the ability and that in the past they had recommended some. Unfortunately they no longer do. Does anybody know of a website.? mainly looking to put vehicle dimensions in, in the hope it doesn't route me down a 5 foot wide b road. Many Thanks in advance

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Not what you want I know but can you use Garmin Basecamp to plan your route. Base camp has the ability to use different vehicle configurations including 'RV' to plan a route which I have used with good success, I use a Garmin Zumo 660 which I transfer between vehicles and Base camp is a good addition from Garmin.
If however your GPS does not have the facility to receive routes from Base camp then it may be no good for you. You could always download Base Camp https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435
and play around with it and 'fly' your routes in google earth.

Have fun (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You also need to be aware that some Garmin Sat Navs "recalculate" the route transferred over from BaseCamp and therefore does not mirror. I'm in discussions with Garmin on this but currently travelling with limited access to e-mails.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rapido convert

Free Member
Feb 26, 2015
knutsford cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class rapido 996m
Exp
since 07
Cliffy,

I have found garmin car sat nav totally unsuitable for motorhome use especilly in france, i have been sent down many a dirt track, narrow lane, or windy mountain pass.
I purchased a truck 7inch sat nav off flea bay for 40 ish quid, it is loaded with all up to date maps and they use the tom tom map data base.
You can down load any country in the world for free and update the maps for life for free, i have been using this sat nave for nearly 2 years and has been faultless in use, it even warns about height and width restrictions if you are detoured from the original route.
Cheers
Andy.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
You also need to be aware that some Garmin Sat Navs "recalculate" the route transferred over from BaseCamp and therefore does not mirror. I'm in discussions with Garmin on this but currently travelling with limited access to e-mails.
Providing the *mapset* on the Garmin sat nav and BaseCamp are the same then that should not happen.
If you have say for example CNE NT 2014.2 on your GPS and CNE NT 2013.2 on Base Camp then it will always recalculate due to different mapsets.
*current mapset is City Navigator Europe NT 2015.4*

HTH>

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Cliffy,

I have found garmin car sat nav totally unsuitable for motorhome use especilly in france, i have been sent down many a dirt track, narrow lane, or windy mountain pass.
I purchased a truck 7inch sat nav off flea bay for 40 ish quid, it is loaded with all up to date maps and they use the tom tom map data base.
You can down load any country in the world for free and update the maps for life for free, i have been using this sat nave for nearly 2 years and has been faultless in use, it even warns about height and width restrictions if you are detoured from the original route.
Cheers
Andy.

I also have a Garmin (3598) and have had totally the opposite experience with it in France, almost faultless navigation with probably a wrong turn three or four times in 6000 miles, although I do compare the route it suggests with the map before I set off. On the odd occasion a turn looks like it might be a narrow road I just ignore it and let it recalculate until it puts up a road I like the look of.

Glad you happy with what your using now though.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Providing the *mapset* on the Garmin sat nav and BaseCamp are the same then that should not happen.
If you have say for example CNE NT 2014.2 on your GPS and CNE NT 2013.2 on Base Camp then it will always recalculate due to different mapsets.

HTH>

Agreed it shouldn't happen but extract from e-mail from Garmin.
+++++
*Please note:When routes are imported to your Garmin device, the route may change due to navigation settings within your device.
+++++
Unquote

This even if you have latest map and software \ firmware versions on both.

One "setting" issue I think I have discovered is if you use RV profile on BaseCamp but route is transferred into a non-RV sat nav device it recalculates based on a car.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

HTH>

but it does..I plan my routes on mapsourse, then transfer to GPS (cant get my head around basecamp) and on this trip down to Spain was being misdirected all over the place.. very frustrating!. have sussed that its best to use route planner on device. and even then not choose end of route as it will make its own mind up again! and take different route

Just select the next waypoint/ favourite and keep finger crossed:rolleyes: also turn on/off Toll sellection, as and when required. as if you leave it on it will ignore your N road route and take you down toll road Grrrrrr.......

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
but it does..I plan my routes on mapsourse, then transfer to GPS (cant get my head around basecamp) and on this trip down to Spain was being misdirected all over the place.. very frustrating!. have sussed that its best to use route planner on device. and even then not choose end of route as it will make its own mind up again! and take different route Just select the next waypoint and keep finger crossed:rolleyes:
What model of Garmin are you using?
This also included in Garmin response.
+++++
An alternate program to use is MapSource.
Unquote
+++++
Worrying, to say the least, if you're getting issues with this software as well!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
2547LM

garmin dont support mapsourse any more as it was so heavily pirated they introduced Basecamp :) but base camp a bit to techy for me:(

have been using mapsourse since 2000 and its hard to learn a new system, but guess I will have to :rolleyes:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Would seem your model is compatible with BaseCamp (some aren't) so, as said above, persevere with BaseCamp. I found it "complex" to start with but got \ getting there (well I think!) in the end.
There are some tutorial videos on the BaseCamp webpage (http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/shop/downloads/basecamp) that may give you a basic understanding.
Let me know if you got any specific problems when you start and I'll see if I can help.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have seen some videos. But being lazy and non techy i revert to the easy option mapsourse.....
but if that not working I guess it has to be bascamp! Is there a video for what happens on right hand column, as that's where I get confused, with how to organise stuff :(

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
[QUOTE="Judgemental, post: 1392215, member: 8272"Is there a video for what happens on right hand column, as that's where I get confused, with how to organise stuff :([/QUOTE]

Hi

Do you mean left-hand column because on my set-up the map is on the right?
The way I do it is create some List Folders [File : New : List Folder] under the Library area. I have one called Places and one called Routes.

Under Places I create individual Lists [File : New : List], eg Motorhome Sites, Fuel Stations, etc and in each of these specific places, eg Home, Joe Bloggs Site, Tesco Fuel Uttoxeter, etc.

Under Routes I then create a List (you can also create List Folders and split your Routes into logical sections, eg UK, France, etc. if you want) eg Home to Joe Bloggs Site and copy the required Places into this List.

When you select the Route in the top pane (Library) the specific waypoints (the Places you copied in to your Route List) show in the bottom pane (will be headed whatever you named the Route). Looks like (they appear in alpha order) -
Home
Joe Bloggs Site
Tesco Fuel
Select all of these by clicking on the first and then hold down Shift Key and click on the last. Release Shift Key and all the waypoints should be highlighted.
Right click on any of these and then left click on Create Route using Selected Waypoints. BaseCamp does its stuff and you'll see a route appear under the selected waypoints.
Like -
Home
Joe Bloggs Site
Tesco Fuel
Home to Tesco Fuel
Because these are in alpha order you need to double left click the created route and this opens another screen showing the detail of the route. You move the route points up \ down by selecting and using the up and down buttons on the right. Once they are in the correct order click Recalculate at the bottom. Close this screen and you should see -
Home
Joe Bloggs Site
Tesco Fuel
Home to Joe Bloggs Site
You can then transfer this route to your sat nav.

This is the way I do it but there may be a better way I've not found as yet!

Sounds complex but you'll soon get the hang of it.

If I can get some time (we're away at present) I'll try and create some screenshots and load these up for you.

Hope this helps (a bit!).

OP
OP
Cliffy38

Cliffy38

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Harlow
Funster No
MH
Elddis 175 Prestige
Exp
since 2012
Well I have been looking on eBay and to be honest they sell 7" screen truck sat abs for under £40 so perhaps more shat nav than sat nav. Am I right in assuming the only difference with a normal sat av is that it will tell you if you are going a route you won't fit under or through. Assuming it is marked on the map?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Cliffy,

Cheers
Andy.

We use a basic car type Garmin Nuvi and have found it to be fine as long as used with a bit if common sense.
Been using one for at least 6 years all over Europe USA Canada Alaska Asia and North Africa. We never travel without a map as well but have found Garmin too be far better than any other satnav we've tried including expensive Snooper.
Last year we did put Copilot on the smartphone which is brilliant and much easier than a satnav for planning a route.
(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back