Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
I've had my thinking cap on trying to work around this insurance rip off for full timers,so heres what I'm thinking,feel free to shoot me down in flames. If I get standard insurance ( getting quotes around £200 for me) and let it run for six months then cancel and reinsure with another company for the next six months and repeat. This way I should stay within my mileage allowance and not declare as a full timer,total cost for a year should be around £400. After all I'm only insuring for six months at a time so its not really a porky pie is it? Is it?
What do you knowledgeable people think?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Comfort for example, their standard policy covers 365 days a year abroad but not full timing, one of their definitions of full timing is that you do not have a UK resident address, they have other restrictions but I'm not sure what they are.
With increased border security if you had a claim might be easier for the insurance companies to check when you were last in the country. Also if you were to wright off your van worth 10's of thousands of pounds and they don't pay out for the sake of a few hundred quid- Are you feeling lucky?

Have a look at the full timers forum.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
As with most insurance companies, they may accept it and be pleased to take your money, the problems may start if ever you make a large claim, then the company will dig and dig until they can find a reason NOT to pay out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
As with most insurance companies, they may accept it and be pleased to take your money, the problems may start if ever you make a large claim, then the company will dig and dig until they can find a reason NOT to pay out.

I believe that's standard practise with any of them,if there's a way out they'll find it. All I really want is ins. to keep the ANPRs off my back. My mh isn't worth a great deal anyway and I'd like to think I'm a decent driver,10 years no claims.

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
Comfort for example, their standard policy covers 365 days a year abroad but not full timing, one of their definitions of full timing is that you do not have a UK resident address, they have other restrictions but I'm not sure what they are.
With increased border security if you had a claim might be easier for the insurance companies to check when you were last in the country. Also if you were to wright off your van worth 10's of thousands of pounds and they don't pay out for the sake of a few hundred quid- Are you feeling lucky?

Have a look at the full timers forum.

I never had ins. before moving to the UK and never had a problem driving for 25 years in NZ ( ins. isnt compulsory)so to answer your question,yes I am feeling lucky lol.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've had my thinking cap on trying to work around this insurance rip off for full timers,

irrespective of policy term.. full timing is not about length of time , it's about using your van as your sole residence.. ie you have no fixed abode..

You would still be a Full timer..

non disclosure of this fact would void the policy ..

It would get you taxed, and satisfy a police check .. but in the event of a claim.. up $hit creek

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If you are happy with insurance that wont pay out, then just take the cheapest you can get and stick with it, they wont be paying either so why all the swapping and changing
Failure to disclose any relevant details will void any and all insurance, so why worry, ANY road risk and 3rd party only policy will keep the ANPR's off your back
G

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Havnt you got anywhere you could say you were living, children's house, mates, or where are you resident now in this country, have your mail and whatever sent there, then I don't see a problem, no need to say you are full timing

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
Havnt you got anywhere you could say you were living, children's house, mates, or where are you resident now in this country, have your mail and whatever sent there, then I don't see a problem, no need to say you are full timing

Yes I do have a permanent address,I just don't live there,but obviously I haven't told them that bit,tbh I can't see its any of their business where I spend my time.

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
[QUOTE="Geo, post: 1391369, member: why all the swapping and changing

G[/QUOTE]

Mainly because of the mileage restrictions,doing it this way will effectively cover mileage for a full year,if I ran over the allowance then any potential claim wouldn't stand a chance.

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
the insurer may have a different view .. it's called non-disclosure of a material fact that may affect the risk.. and therefore the premium you pay.

your choice.

I shall keep my thinking cap on and ponder this a bit more before I decide if I...

A. Give them a load of my hard earned

B. Give them a lot less of my hard earned

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Absolutely - non-disclosure actually means cancellation ab initio - ie from the date you effected the cover - in which case you haven't been insured since Day 1 - inception or renewal usually. I can't see that being a problem with motor insurance unless they have paid any claims in the interim - in which case not only do you not have any cover - oh and won't get your premium back by the way - but also now have to repay the claim money and their costs.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you've got an address and come home and stay for a week or two then off again don't see any reason to tell them anything but your address, no different than what lots of others do, going for a couple of months at a time

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
Absolutely - non-disclosure actually means cancellation ab initio - ie from the date you effected the cover - in which case you haven't been insured since Day 1 - inception or renewal usually. I can't see that being a problem with motor insurance unless they have paid any claims in the interim - in which case not only do you not have any cover - oh and won't get your premium back by the way - but also now have to repay the claim money and their costs.

Yes its certainly a valid point and I'm sure it applies to quite a few full timers,as well as a load of other types of policies. You pay your money and take your chances I guess. There must be plenty on the road that have been economical with the truth to get a lower premium.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes I do have a permanent address,I just don't live there,but obviously I haven't told them that bit,tbh I can't see its any of their business where I spend my time.

....ahem........you just did. The internet is a very public place.......

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mainly because of the mileage restrictions,doing it this way will effectively cover mileage for a full year,if I ran over the allowance then any potential claim wouldn't stand a chance.
Don't see that as a problem you can have unlimited mileage. With Comfort if you have a mileage limit and go over it, if you have a claim and you are over 500 miles over your limit your excess goes from £200 up to £500 and if over a 1000 miles over excess is a £1000. Comfort you can specify mileage limits up to 10k above that it's unlimited.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Can't say I've ever met anyone that felt premiums were fair,we must meet sometime so I can then say that I have.

So if your using your van, 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, you consider your being ripped off if your asked to pay more than some one who uses their van normally?

As I said if you live in a vehicle, your more of a risk to the insurer

Where did I say that premiums were fair?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I Just signed up for a "new" M-H.:- Comfort Quote £700+::::: CCC Quote £350 (about £80 more than my current caravan!!). Almost identical Cover?.

Where is the logic?

Pete

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
I Just signed up for a "new" M-H.:- Comfort Quote £700+::::: CCC Quote £350 (about £80 more than my current caravan!!). Almost identical Cover?.

Where is the logic?

Pete

Not logic Pete just
smiley_greed2.gif

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
This way I should stay within my mileage allowance and not declare as a full timer,total cost for a year should be around £400

The declaration to insurance companies is annual mileage............ so that's a fail...

You will avoid ANPR cameras but that's not the purpose of insurance........ it's as much to cover 3rd party damage/injury......... that's why 3rd party only insurance is sometimes as much as fully comp

If you make a false declaration you are moving the risk from the insurance company to yourself
...........and wasted the premium you paid...........

:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The declaration to insurance companies is annual mileage............ so that's a fail...

:)
But if it doesn't specifically say THIS vehicle then there'd be a get out if you do large amounts with others,surely ?
Surely an over declaration , like I always used to do @50k , is the same as an under -declaration ? It is just that they are looking to get as much off you as poss !

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not logic Pete just
smiley_greed2.gif

Hi Mick.

Yeah well? rip-off UK rules. You still Full Time then mate?. We Just finished the Big USA trip (took 5 years in Bits). But now the travel insurance (over 70 with Medical issues!!) has made it non viable, so my Winne; is up for grabs.

I notice some of the "old" ARVE hands still pop up occasionally.

Pete

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
Don't see that as a problem you can have unlimited mileage. With Comfort if you have a mileage limit and go over it, if you have a claim and you are over 500 miles over your limit your excess goes from £200 up to £500 and if over a 1000 miles over excess is a £1000. Comfort you can specify mileage limits up to 10k above that it's unlimited.

I didn't know that,I had assumed if I went over allocated mileage it would void the policy. That being the case it really scuppers the whole idea of changing policy after six months. Thanks for that.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
If you consider cancelling insurance after 6 months the majority of insurers will charge the balance 6 months as the cancellation fee. Also bear in mind there is an insurers data base which they all have access to so your little scam will soon be found out and then you will not be able to get insurance. Once a refusal is issued against your name then most will refuse or costs will dramatically soar.

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
If you consider cancelling insurance after 6 months the majority of insurers will charge the balance 6 months as the cancellation fee. Also bear in mind there is an insurers data base which they all have access to so your little scam will soon be found out and then you will not be able to get insurance. Once a refusal is issued against your name then most will refuse or costs will dramatically soar.

Well I wasn't trying to "scam" anyone,just trying to work around and within the system that they've created. The point of this thread is to explore the legality or otherwise,and to hopefully save myself and others a wad of cash. A bit like the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion,it can be a narrow road and not always easy to define.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Hi Mick.

Yeah well? rip-off UK rules. You still Full Time then mate?. We Just finished the Big USA trip (took 5 years in Bits). But now the travel insurance (over 70 with Medical issues!!) has made it non viable, so my Winne; is up for grabs.

I notice some of the "old" ARVE hands still pop up occasionally.

Pete

Hi Pete, NO not full timing just taking a long well earned holiday ;) :LOL:

Reactions: Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back