hi from south france, getting our 1st motorhome in weeks time (1 Viewer)

dazzaandjay

Free Member
Mar 14, 2009
Sahorre, South France
Funster No
MH
Hymer b754
Exp
hi all
just thought we would say hi, darren and jay here, we live here Gites La Chataigneraie - Gite / Apartment / Self Catering Sahorre, Languedoc Roussillon , Pyrenees-Orientales, Gites, Swimming Pool, Mounting Biking, Walking, Hiking, Culture, Med Beaches, Skiing and a warm welcome awaits you in the pyrenees about 45 mins from ski slopes and beaches near Perpignan. We get our 1st motorhome in a weeks time, 2001 Hymer b754, looking forward to it, we hope to explore the continent as much as we can before our 8mth old daughter starts school here (they start at 2.5yrs in france). we took early retirement at 31 to allow us to try a new more relaxed way of living, a lot more relaxed over here.

Anyway, if we can help any of you in anyway if your down this end of the world let us know, we are close to spanish border etc, we dont know a lot about the camp sites etc around here at hte moment but we soon will, we will keep a record of how we get on incase anyone is interested.

I do have a small question, our new van does not have gps, anyone recommend a good gps system thats not to expensive and has a sort of 'bus/lorry' option to keep you out the narrow places, I read some about the garmin 5000 which looked interesting, especially as it said our reversing camera could plug into it. any thoughts/suggestions? many thanks in advance, hope to see some of you on our travels soon.

D and J

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Darren and Jay!

Welcome in France! Nice to know you rent "gîtes" since i don't have a motorhome! Are you far from Estagel? We have a family house there (well it's my cousin's house but as she lives in Mayotte, we all use it now and then!).

I'm french but i suppose nobody will be annoyed if i say welcome to the fun site! Nice and helpfull people here and to me.. sort of english family!

There's a chat room as well and every evening you'll find Wildman in his rocking chair smoking his pipe...:)Doh:NO ... not true! he doesn't smoke ... i said that just for the atmosphere...!:Blush:) and reading his newspapers... waiting for funsters to chat a bit with him:winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
anyone recommend a good gps system thats not to expensive and has a sort of 'bus/lorry' option to keep you out the narrow places,

D and J

Hi

Don't waste money on one that claims to have an HGV / Bus option.. they don't work..

I use and recommend a Tom Tom One XL Europe, comes ready loaded with full street mapping of Western Europe, no bells or whistles , just does a great job, easy to add extra POIs.. used it all over Europe and it's not let me down.. and won't break the bank :thumb:

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

dazzaandjay

Free Member
Mar 14, 2009
Sahorre, South France
Funster No
MH
Hymer b754
Exp
thanks for the welomes

Hi Everyone, thanks for the warm welcome.

We are not far from Estagel, its our neck of the weeks, just over one valley from us ;-)

thanks for the warning on the sat navs. I was considering the garmin 5000 mostly as it seemed to have a nice big screen and 'it says' you can plug your reversing camera into it, which would be interesting and one less thing cluttering up the dash :) dont know if anyone knows if this works or not?

Right, best get reading some posts and learn the lingo and some interesting places to visit. We get our new van on 24th march, not long now, will be driving down from northampton to dover and then see where we end up, prob head down east side of france and nip into switzerland etc, although that might be a bit brave on our first outing :) as we are bound to have forgotten something and not know how something works :) but it should be fun

Catch you all soon
D and J

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

If you are buying from a dealer stay locally for two or three days to find out if there are any niggles or things you do not understand, lot easier to get sorted if you are local.

As to forgetting things, buy one of Jims checklist thingy, good aide memoire and supports Fun with the running costs.

Peter

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Hi Daz and Jay,and welcome to the fun we have only been here a short while but have been made welcome and have had much help from the family here,my wife Sylvia and our relatives Carol and Dave from Queensland are coming down your way at the end of May and would like to visit Carcasson,is it far from you ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

dazzaandjay

Free Member
Mar 14, 2009
Sahorre, South France
Funster No
MH
Hymer b754
Exp
me again

hi all,

carcassone is not that far, its about 1.5 hours from us, its a lovely walled city, somewhere we plan on stopping on our way down and spending a night, although not far from us we have never spent any serious time there, just had a coffee to say we had been, largely our problem, france/spain are big countries and whilst nothing seems far its all an hour+ drive and then you are tired, you grab a cuppa and then say "we best get heading back", not ideal, camper to the rescue :)

retired at 31, yep, but I was wound up very tight with the job i had, 10 years working for an american firm and all the politics that go with that, boy was i glad to move on, we still keep our hand in, i was the chief of technology at Monster.com for EU and Asia Pac so the internet is my bag, so still do sites for people and build my own sites, but at a pace i enjoy now, and, with my laptop in tow something i can do from the van :) (although not sure the wife will appreciate that ;-) )

Looking forward to getting back with the van, we are about 45 mins from the ski slopes of font romeu etc, the last slope of Les Angles doesnt close until april 20th so we are going to go up there for a few days and a final ski, will be fun, i always envied the people staying up there in their vans, although only 45 mins its one hell of a drive up and down the side of a big mountain! very tiring. going to be fun :)

anyone coming over this way with their van anytime soon? be nice to meet some people, do some sites and have some wine.

D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back