Are mirror guards effective please? (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
we have a new van( it is currently back at IH but that's a whole other story) and were wondering about them. They sound like a good idea but the originals are £120 now, mind you I may let Nick drive it occasionally and he has little(NO) spatial awareness so if effective that sounds like a bargain. Thanks everyone.

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Definitely! saved my nearside mirror in a 30+ mph coming together with an un-noticed sticking out branch. The new ones have got extra foam padding inside. (Mirrorguard).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They are just like a crash helmet, have the right accident you win.

But in the Gorges du Verdon when a big Merc 4x4 came round a corner at warp speed nine and hit ours nothing would have saved it. If the guards are heavy then there is that much more weight slammed into your door and more damage will be done to the door.

Standard FIAT mirrors are pretty cheap on ebay.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
My thoughts are that manufacturers should stop manufacturing these costly and vulnerable mirrors. What idiot ever thought of adding indicators and heating elements to something that sticks out and is a obvious potential danger point on a large vehicle?
Mirrors are what they are, an aid to seeing what is happening behind, that's all. Why have repeater indicators mounted on them?, can't those on the side of the wing be seen just as well?. Never had heating elements on mine, never needed them in this part of Europe so why have them. My basic Fiat mirrors do the job and can be replaced for less than the cost of these mirror guards, let alone the extortionate cost of modern mirrors.

Last edited by a moderator:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
These will offer you some protection. http://www.mirrorguard.co.uk/ All the others I've seen look like cosmetic copies offering no protection whatsoever.

I agree, like most things in life, the original is thought through designed and manufactured with the product and the performance the prime factor. So often the cheaper copy is just that a cheap copy.

Sadly there are many companies that have a copy of many products in their portfolio, all facsimiles of the original.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We had someone hit ours which broke the mirror guard ands also the mirror.
We took it back to the fella that sold it to us with a lifetime guarantee. He's since taken off that claim. He stuck the mirror guard together with glue, it hid the broken mirror casing, we traded it in like that and it passed an mot.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Less of an issue on PVC's as these are nearly always 'short' arms as opposed to the long arms on coachbuilt. Thought about them but decided against as my current MH is a PVC.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Less of an issue on PVC's as these are nearly always 'short' arms as opposed to the long arms on coachbuilt. Thought about them but decided against as my current MH is a PVC.

I have fitted a short arm version to my drivers side after the tractor incident, but with a slight-loss of vision.
Why manufacturers do not offer electrically fold in mirrors is a nuisance, my X Trail had them and my wife's i20 has them, very useful, and I used them often.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Although I've managed to avoid hitting, or being hit since I fitted them, the white mirrorguards make the van look wider from the front and it's been obvious that oncoming vehicles tend to give us a wider berth.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
After getting my wing mirror smashed by a lorry in a small Cornish village recently I'm definitely getting some, £150 for a replacement wing mirror and they're very vulnerable

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you everyone, I think I will get on and order a set.

glenm

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Mobile full timer Garstang
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Definitely a good buy I caught a thick tree branch on nearside cracked the mirror guard but no damage to the mirror thank goodness:):):) bought a single replacement guard

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
As an HGV driver for most of my life I can safely say they have saved many very expensive mirrors. Wagons I've driven without them didn't stand a chance against a branch or oncoming HGV. Personally I would just buy cheap knockoffs,they do the job and sacrifice themselves first.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back