Towtal A frame towing (1 Viewer)

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Noticed on the Towtal site that they have a section for questions, I have emailed and asked them how A frames and Brake buddies are legal, I wonder if they will reply?

OP
OP
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Does anyone think their lack of a reply signifies that they cannot support their claims that Aframes are legal?:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Vosa would be the wrong dept, for Construction and use they need to speak to construction and use dept Marsham, according to the legislation these are the arbiters of construction and use for UK vehicles (C&U incidently have confirmed that A frames are ilegal)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Vosa would be the wrong dept, for Construction and use they need to speak to construction and use dept Marsham, according to the legislation these are the arbiters of construction and use for UK vehicles (C&U incidently have confirmed that A frames are ilegal)

Sorry George, didn't make myself clear. I was referring to the fact that VOSA had not replied to your query re CT (different thread).

Graham

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Deleted and moved to a Thread of its own

"How to Make "A" Frames Better"

Last edited by a moderator:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The answer is quite simple Brian, I agree no one (to my knowledge) is saying they are dangerous, it is the outdated laws of the Uk that need changing not the unit itself

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi, Geo

Thanks for the reply, I think I will start a new thread on the subject of How to Make "A" frames Better

Brian

OP
OP
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Geo, Brian

The UK laws are not outdated and they match the latest EU directives too.

Phoenix

Free Member
Aug 24, 2007
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
If the cap fits:
"You're entitled to your own wrong opinion"

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
A Frames cont,d......

:cry:I 've also just been looking at the Towtal web pages with a pending trip to the EU imminent.

Last time I visted them in 2008 I managed to find a potentially very helpfull section where the were 2 pages of info more or less saying that they are OK in the UK so with respect
Mr. EU policeman please read the following.....[Interpreted in 5 languages] so that you can assist any such eager Police official in accepting all is OK. etc.
I have searched but not found this section.....HAS it disappeared for good? Why?

..Or are we heading for trouble with our trusty A frame + car ??

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
I looked at all the options and brought a Car-A-Tow A frame, good quality and easy to use without all this added hassle.

Benni-Boy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Hooray! well done scotJimLand. I love to see things in Black and white! Perhaps we may be able to put this subject to bed. Looking on the forums and in Motorhome publications everyone and his dog has an opinion on "A frames". Reminds me of the "barrack room lawyers" we encountered in the forces. Most of it is rumour or conjecture. Now we can see the definitive answer in print. I'm off on the phone to order mine!
Ps. I discovered a firm called Armitage's based at Knottingley nr. Ferrybridge in Yorkshire who do them. Seem a bit cheaper than Towtall, Caratow or Chris Cox frames. Anyone any experience of them? They also do motorhome towbars.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I discovered a firm called Armitage's based at Knottingley nr. Ferrybridge in Yorkshire who do them. Seem a bit cheaper than Towtall, Caratow or Chris Cox frames. Anyone any experience of them? They also do motorhome towbars.

Hi

Haven't seen one in the flesh, looks very like the Towtal frame..

A Frames - Towing Frames, A-frame, Tow Bars

re price.. not much in it as far as I can see..
personally I prefer the CarAtow frame which has a round bar fixed to the car rather than towing eyes.. but cannot say whether it's easier/quicker to hitch/unhitch or not.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

Haven't seen one in the flesh, looks very like the Towtal frame..

A Frames - Towing Frames, A-frame, Tow Bars

re price.. not much in it as far as I can see..
personally I prefer the CarAtow frame which has a round bar fixed to the car rather than towing eyes.. but cannot say whether it's easier/quicker to hitch/unhitch or not.

caratow's go to be easier Jim.....2 hands instead of 3 :thumb:

hold the two arms and hook on the bar.....:thumb:

the others have to be aligned and with your third hand insert the pin:Sad:

but then, you know how they work...:Doh:

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
Like I stated before I use a Car-A-Tow A frame dead easy, and I am on clutches, I have fitted a caravan jockey wheel to my A frame, (the brackets are already there to bolt too) makes it even easier

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back