LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
How far can you go on your motorhome? has anyone tried to go overland to India in their non 4 wheel drive motorhome?

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
Only problem is iran visa . If youcan get that its not a problem or you could go through the stan countrys but there is abit of china that way you pays your money and take the chance . Carnet is 4 times value of van if i remember ritely but easey enough to get from rac in bristol the guy who deal with them is very helpfull . Its a wonderful trip . You dont need a 4x4 for any of the trip we had an old merc 508 and under valued it for the carnet ( cheaper to buy) good luck and enjoy :cool: STAN

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
::bigsmile:
If you are interested in such journeys, could be worth your attending the Adventure Overland show at Stratford in September. One of the presentations last year showed regular two wheel drive van conversions/motor homes going to Asia etc.

http://www.adventureoverlandshow.com

had a quick look at the link , saw a picky of a MH doing the journey , shows now on the list ::bigsmile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Iran is effectively a no-no, which is a huge pity as it has some of the friendliest folk you can find by all accounts - and of course some decidedly unfriendly ones as well. The problem is you need a carnet de passage and this will cost at least the value of your motorhome. http://www.go-overland.com/indy/articles/carnet.php There is more information on that website if you search around.

If you want to visit Iran go on a bicycle - seriously!

People regularly drive to China, normally going through the 'stans IIRC but I wouldn't want to do it in a conventional MH with say a large overhang at the back. I guess all journeys are doable in more or less any vehicle but unless you want to be finding local tractor drivers all the time to give you a tow out of the most recent hole in the road you have fallen into then you need something with a bit of ground clearance. A 4 * 4 pickup and a demountable for example.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
We met a couple in Dover a few years back, they had taken their van down to I think it was Outer Mongolia and then shipped it across to Argentine and did the south American countries.

I think this was the site they mentioned http://www.silkroute.org.uk/index.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We overlanded to Singapore in 2011 and as far as know were the only vehicle to make it that year . Our route was
UK FRANCE BELGIUM GERMANY CZECH REP HUNGARY SLOVAKIA ROMANIA BULGARIA TURKEY GEORGIA AZERBAIJAN UZBEKISTAN TURKMENISTAN KAZAKSTAN
CHINA LAOS CAMBODIA VIETNAM THAILAND MALAYSIA
INDONESIA SINGAPORE
Great trip

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We overlanded to Singapore in 2011 and as far as know were the only vehicle to make it that year . Our route was
UK FRANCE BELGIUM GERMANY CZECH REP HUNGARY SLOVAKIA ROMANIA BULGARIA TURKEY GEORGIA AZERBAIJAN UZBEKISTAN TURKMENISTAN KAZAKSTAN
CHINA LAOS CAMBODIA VIETNAM THAILAND MALAYSIA
INDONESIA SINGAPORE
Great trip
Nice one
How long did it take and what did you drive

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've read quite a few accounts of folk cycling east and visas can be a pain, for example there was one poor chap who got stuck in India as he couldn't get a visa to continue his journey as the visa he needed could only be obtained if he applied in his country of residence - the UK. I can only suggest lots of research and talking to the right people before starting the journey.
But good luck if you try it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back