Cable Run From Solar Panel Controller to Engine Battery (1 Viewer)

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Greeting all, I have just had my solar panel fitted (150w) and my controller has 2 outlets. 1 is obviously charging the habitation battery, and I would like to use the other to charge the engine battery. Could someone tell me what size cable and inline fuse to use? Cheers.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I'm not that familiar with solar ,but on my 10a mppt controller the second outlet is for direct loads powered from the leisure battery and has a timer function on it...not used it and not at home to check the instructions but again someone will be along to help.
If that's right you wouldn't use it for charging your vehicle battery. ..
Ta andy

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As above... Check what the second output actually is.... Most are just a 12v load supply and not suitable for battery charging..
There are some dual regulators but you do need to check exactly what you have fitted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's not worth messing about with the smallest cable you can get away with. Think more in terms of what is the biggest I can use! 4mm minimum 6mm if the terminals will take it or with pin crimps so they will.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
to charge the engine battery

Done mine with 10mm sq to minimise voltage loss and just took it off the battery with a 20A trip fuse, works great for when my gal is out in the sun but not going anywhere.

You must put your fuse somewhere accessible so that if you wind up the elastic band and forget to remove the fuse you may blow it. See below. (y) That is why I used a trip switch.

http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/BRIDGING FUSE.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry and Jan

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Ah ha, have now done what 'er indoors said all along, have read the manual for the controller, and all the information is in there. She's a smart ass!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back