Prangs crashes and mishaps (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Haha I thought I'd put this in the Beginners forum.....
We are heading off in a few months time in hopefully a 24 footer hymer and I am totally new to motor homing driving. Feel a bit nervous about mishaps early on when I'm getting the hang of it.
Dare I ask you old hands to recount your very early bloopers ? Hoping to learn from your mistakes basically (and maybe this'll stop the night terrors I'm having :)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Yeh I thought people might think that but I'd honestly rather know. It's like expecting the worst won't be as bad as my imaginings!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
O go on.... I just published my first blog entry on here. NOTHING is going to put us off!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I'm a control freak (ex teacher) I need to know what to expect haha.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm a control freak (ex teacher) I need to know what to expect haha.
Expect the unexpected, that's the best you can manage. They had Zebras running through the streets of Brussels today. How do you prepare for that other than just driving cautiously?

Upvote 0

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
O go on.... I just published my first blog entry on here. NOTHING is going to put us off!
It might be easier/quicker to describe the mishaps that haven't happened yet!! and as we are all "experts" here any experiences will be in the third person, ie I saw/heard of some one doing ....etc...:whistle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Haha
Reminds me of when I did a wide turn when we were living in America and I hit our road side mailbox which didn't budge but put a huge dent in our ford 8 seater van.
(Afterwards learned that the previous house owner got so peed off with people knocking over his mailbox with a baseball bat that he dug a six foot hole and sunk the post into concrete!)

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ok my first motor home parked at the post office to tax it I parked with the van at the end of yellow lines
comes out of the post office nothing there but sum one had parked hard up to my bumper at the front
put's van I to revers.
cheks mirrors reverses right over a sports car brand new right up to his wind screen the van had a big tow bar I had made not a scratch on my van but the prat I had reversed over:crying:
just happens that a police officer was there at the time witnessed the hole thing
the guy pointing to his disabled badge witch turned out not to be his but his wife's who was not in the car I never herd any more abut that one
bill

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Jac,
One thing to watch out for is your overhang at the back. When you pull away from a kerb or just turn left or right, remember that your rear end will swing out the other way. So, for example, if you are at a road junction with 2 lanes and you are in the right rand lane to turn right, as you turn to the right your rear end will swing across the left hand lane so make sure there's no one there!

I managed to sideswipe a lamppost and now I always remember to check my left hand mirror for obstructions when turning!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Expect the unexpected hmmm.....Our projected full timing life will be truly be a test of my control freakery

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Happy Brewster that is one lucky prang!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I am fairly accident prone I must admit... I broke my shoulder doing a flip skiing three weeks ago.
Three years ago I walked backwards (saying goodbye at a party on there) on the flat roof top of a ww2 bunker and fell down the narrow stairwell and pulverised three ribs! I have noticed since how many people walk backwards when they are saying goodbye!

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We had three years of incident free motorhoming when renting, until the last. In a small village in Italy, an old gent reversed into the side of our van, in his somewhat beaten up Fiat Punto, suggesting this was not the first time he had bumped the car.
We exchanged details, and he said, sorry but I didn't see you. Sadly I didn't know the Italian for "But I am 7 metres long and had been in a queue of stationary traffic behind you for about 5 minutes" so I simply bade him farewell.
Later that same holiday, we got stuck in mud, and the army of burly men we recruited to push us out, bent and essentially wrote off the bike rack. So a bit of a disaster really.

Since owning our own motorhome, I have managed to open the habitation door in high wind and break the tie down. And after successfully negotiating the painfully narrow and low entrance to Woodyhyde camping in Corfe Castle without a scratch, then managed to reverse into a fence post while reversing onto the grey waste disposal. A helpful local pointed out that I had hit a fence post, which was nice :D

Only a small crack in the fibreglass so I am not stressing about it.

I am hoping this is the end of my run of dings and prangs, but who knows, it won't put me off any! :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Wow I hadn't even thought of people reversing into me!!

Upvote 0

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
First weekend away in our first motorhome (Nov 2013) had a lovely time, drove really carefully with our pride and joy.
When we got home it was dark and I reversed into the neighbours brick wall.
All fixed now and back together as if it was new thanks to an insurance claim of £3,000 as we needed a new rear and side panel for the moho plus repairs to the wall.

About a week later I had a speeding fine in the post, it was from our first weekend away in the motorhome!

You'll be fine just don't do what I did.

PS Only telling all of you this now as I sold the moho in January 2015 and bought another one.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Wow I hadn't even thought of people reversing into me!!

Dont even go there!?!? have been written off twice, once when parked, another time someone came out a side road and wrote truck off:( then there are my own countless self inflicted missaps as well! Now I drive shortest narrowest van possible.....

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
About a week later I had a speeding fine in the post, it was from our first weekend away in the motorhome!
Maximum respect, speeding in a motorhome, that takes some doing, reminds me of this:
My Great Uncle, not long before he died aged 89, received a speeding penalty! He framed it, and would show it with great pride to all of his great nephews and nieces as proof that that he did not drive like miss daisy (his words, not mine!)

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Arrived at site in Shropshire somewhere, backed into big shed next to hedge..well the owner did paint it green....his fault then! :think: Result one swisted bike rack and bent bike wheel. Left site a few days later, drove down narrow country road. Did not see (until too late) thin branch of blown down tree just protruding through high hedge. Result, cought front of overhead cab then sprang with such force that it cought side of awning smashing not only the front end but back end too....Happy days!..:madder:

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I spent a long w/end building a 3 panel (each panel 2.4 mtrs x 1.2mtrs) wind break/privicy/ thingee/ fence, the cement sheet panels were bolted to tanalised 150mmx50mmrough sawn timber uprights, and Painting!

On tuesday when we went back to work, we went on a 1 day walk out, pub opened at 1100hrs, we walked out at 1055hrs! You know !where else were we going to go eh?

Suddenly realising that it was close to 1700hrs and Darling coo chee coo was due home from a hard days work, and that I had been led astray since 1055hrs I made my weary way homeward (about 100 mtrs)
Reversing my Bedford J1 Gang bus into the parking area out side the house!WITH FLAIR!

CRACK!Demolished the Fence/windbreak/thingee !

Arctic? Antarctic? That was like the tropics in our house for a while!

Upvote 0

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We managed to lose both wing mirrors in five minutes! On the road from Bristol to Wincanton some clown in a lorry who was well out took off the offside mirror. Stopped to see what I could do; started off, along came another lorry and, after the first experience, stayed very close to the nearside and clouted the trunk of a bush with the nearside mirror. The bushes there were literally in line with the edge of the road.

That's why we love touring in France, because even local roads generally have plenty of room to pull over with grass verges.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We managed to lose both wing mirrors in five minutes! On the road from Bristol to Wincanton some clown in a lorry who was well out took off the offside mirror. Stopped to see what I could do; started off, along came another lorry and, after the first experience, stayed very close to the nearside and clouted the trunk of a bush with the nearside mirror. The bushes there were literally in line with the edge of the road.

That's why we love touring in France, because even local roads generally have plenty of room to pull over with grass verges.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Welcome to Somerset!! ......Sorry to hear that, it can be a bit chancy along there.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Top tip,

Put your handbrake on when you park up.

We were sat having our last french glass of vin rouge at Cite de Europe one evening, whilst carrying out a game of "spot the Syrian", when a van came past us with 2 occupants on board. Unfortunately these occupants were also engulfing in a glass of vin rouge sat in their rear lounge. It all came to an end with the sound of broken fibreglass, a blushing Brit, and a surprisingly calm Italian (who now had a set of broken rear lights)

Handbrake on, spin the seats, then crack open the wine :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back