Broken into in France (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Just wanted to pass on my experience in France of being broken into. We were with friends and we both were travelling for about 8 hours on our way to Cannes. We stupidly parked up in the motorway services at Orange. I'd read everything before about staying away from these services but we thought we would take the chance. We even parked in the area for caravans and motorhomes which was well away from the main services. It was a very windy and rainy night so all sorts of weather noise. Luckily our dog started barking at the door. We thought it was just the wind that she was barking at and tried to get her to shut up. Of course I was groggy with sleep, not gassed, I have read all the posts on that one. I went to open the door and found it was already open and our friends were likewise up and about as their dog had alerted them. I have no doubt that without our dog we could have been robbed and we would have been none the wiser as at that time we were both sound asleep. Our door lock was broken but apart from that no other damage.

Anyway our first thoughts were to buy gas alarms but after reading all the posts on that one we won't bother now. We will be looking at beefing up our security though.

Feel a bit stupid but will learn from the experience. Proper aires and campsites from now on.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
See.....you dont need to be gassed to be robbed, deep sleep is all it takes......but its a good excuse if anyone is gullible enough to believe it.

As you say, no dog......no valuables.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Yes, glad you are OK. We've always advised against stopping on autoroute services when en route to or from us, and have only known of a couple of such incidents, one involving Geo a few years ago. France is very safe for motorhomers, but it is worth being very careful about where to stopover.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all kind thoughts and yes a dog is a great accessory for a motorhome.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks for all kind thoughts and yes a dog is a great accessory for a motorhome.

It certainly is. I always leave a very large dog bowl with some water in it outside the camper door as well as one of those very strong wire leads so it looks like we haver a Rotwieler, we have a poodle. Funnily enough, I would go up against a rottie rather than face our poodle any day . Very pretty, just like the poodle Fluffles in Wallace and Grommit, but a really nasty piece of work with any strangers infiltrating her territory.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
good that everyone is safe, that the first thing.

I have one of these fitted to the door, open the door and it makes plenty of noise, enough to wake us up, really cheaper and simple. Broken Link Removed

you could also use a rachet strap to hold the front doors closed, my only concern with that is if u had to exit the motorhome quickly, such as if you had a fire.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Feel a bit stupid

Not really, unlucky yes. You can be broken into anywhere.

A good while ago I posted an ebay door alarm costing maybe a fiver that would have alerted you.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hook your seat belts through the door handle, quick release if needed then. I fitted one of those window alarms on the habitation door - it works a treat. Secret of alarm is for it to make enough noise to wake you up and to draw attention to those seeking to break in.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I apologise if it has been covered already, was the door left unlocked, or had they popped it open?

OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
It certainly is. I always leave a very large dog bowl with some water in it outside the camper door as well as one of those very strong wire leads so it looks like we haver a Rotwieler, we have a poodle. Funnily enough, I would go up against a rottie rather than face our poodle any day . Very pretty, just like the poodle Fluffles in Wallace and Grommit, but a really nasty piece of work with any strangers infiltrating her territory.
Our little dog is a poodle bichon fries cross and I wouldn't like t be a burglar facing him. It must be the poodle. Unfortunately he was the one that slept through it all.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Sorry about your breakin, hope there wasnt much damage. We are off to Europe for the first time this summer and heard about motorway services. This may be a stupid question but are they ok to stop in for a break during the day?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Sorry about your breakin, hope there wasnt much damage. We are off to Europe for the first time this summer and heard about motorway services. This may be a stupid question but are they ok to stop in for a break during the day?
on a post about a really bad experience it seems silly to say they are completely safe but this is the first thread like this I've read on here. I've been on the forum 7 or 8 months I thinK. That seems pretty safe to me... Like has been said, this is horrible but you can be broken into anywhere. you are most likely to get broken into on A
a dark windy or rainy night. You have to weigh up the risk against how tired you are I guess..

One question for the OP, was it the hab door?

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Sorry to hear of your problems. A visit to Vanbitz may be a good idea.
Ditto. We slept very well last week knowing a very good alarm was on. This was our first time abroad with the van and I was concerned but those blue flashing LEDs show a quality bit of kit. Might not stop them but they'll think twice and I'll hear them if they do. Even with the dog in the van.
Glad your all ok though

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We've stayed during the day as stops with the caravan over 20 years and never seen or heard of a problem during the day. Obviously same as here you have to be sensible. But never ever use at night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back