Alloy tube fixing (2 Viewers)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
Does anybody know what this fixing is called, and where to get one from that would fit a 37mm o/d alloy tube ? Alternatively, would it be possible to make one up using a jubilee clip and nut ? How would I fix the nut to the clip ?

Thanks
Allen

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I think they are called awning pole clamps or just pole clamps. They are always on the racks of odds and sods in the camping shops. About £1.50 for 2.

Andy

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
You can get them in those sizes . I got some from a local caravan dealer for the poles on my saffari room when I wanted to mod it. Try on line at somewhere like towsure.

Lampie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you have a problem getting the size you need it would take about 10 mins to fabricate one of any size.

strip of thin gauge steel, a drill, a hammer and a vice.:thumb:

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
if you have a problem getting the size you need it would take about 10 mins to fabricate one of any size.

strip of thin gauge steel, a drill, a hammer and a vice.:thumb:

I've looked on the web, scoured towsure's catalogue, but am unable to find any bigger than 25 mm od. So.. I'm pretty handy with tools, got a drill, vice etc.. please explain.

regards
Allen

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
How about the jubilee type thing on an old fasion tap conector. Just like a normal jubilee clip but with a thumb screw. Must be well over a inch in diameter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've looked on the web, scoured towsure's catalogue, but am unable to find any bigger than 25 mm od. So.. I'm pretty handy with tools, got a drill, vice etc.. please explain.

regards
Allen

hi Allen,

shape one end of the strip as in your pic, leaving the other end a few inches longer than you need,

simply fold the metal strip around the tube or any suitable round bar
using the vice and hammer shape the other end of the strip as in your picture leaving the two parallel sides just wide enough for an M6 nut to fit between, , preferably a 'coach bolt' type nut. (square rather than hexagonal) cut off the excess strip

hold the whole thing in the vice, edges of clamp in vice, and drill a suitable hole, M6, through both overlapping flats,

insert an M6 bolt through said hole and wind on the nut.

using the bolt, pull the nut between the parallel flats.

as long as everything is a close fit the nut will not turn because of the flats holding it.

either use a spanner/socket to tighten or have someone weld/braze a large washer on the bolt head to form a butterfly nut.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back