Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
Hi all,I got my mh just before last winter and its been stored until now. The day I picked it up we had torrential rain all day and I had a good 2 hour drive ahead of me. Less than an hour in and the windscreen wipers packed up,no biggy thought I, as I pulled in under an overpass on the m4,thinking it would be a quick fuse change and back on the road. No such luck,one of the control arms from the wiper motor had snapped!! What are the chances of that happening,I've certainly never heard of it,a call to the AA got me towed off the motorway and dropped at a service station but as there was obviously no quick fix I was forced to buy some rainex and continue on with no wipers...easily the worst drive of my life. I've since spent the time looking for a replacement to no avail,and I'm now at a complete loss as to where to find a replacement,any suggestions would be gratefully received. Its a 1985 Mercedes 207D but I'm sure other models would be the same.
Thanks in advance, Dave

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Have you tried a Mercedes commercial dealers parts dept?

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
Have you tried a Mercedes commercial dealers parts dept?

Yes I rang them first but they generally don't hold parts for vehicles this age and even if they did I'm sure they wouldn't stock this part just because its so random and highly unlikely to ever fail. Vehicle dismantles don't really want to know either as its such a low value part and very very very difficult to access and remove.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
They hardly stock any parts at Mercedes, but they can get them from Stuttgart pretty quick, did they say no chance or can they give you a part number, I deal with Merc a lot and I reckon they'd get one

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You don't "nip" anywhere in a 207D lol

OK, a bit of a long way to amble with no wipers. But the point is the attitude over there, little of going to a parts department, more take it to the workshop which could be a tiny shop between the butcher and the bread shop. Most of the Taxis are pre-electronics Merc diesels, they can keep them going for ever it seems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
T
They hardly stock any parts at Mercedes, but they can get them from Stuttgart pretty quick, did they say no chance or can they give you a part number, I deal with Merc a lot and I reckon they'd get one

They just said they don't stock parts that old and never really suggested an alternative.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Goggle T B moters oxen uk
they were the only one in uk that helped us with a part for a 1996 hymer not wipers mind. if you
goggle them ph nos will show my nos are
at home im in work good luck

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Try another more helpful merc dealer- Also tray a breakers where you can try some different merc wiper arms to see whether spline fits-Find one & then you'll be able to get someone to do a repair. Also try Ebay.de should get some on there & as MarkH said in Germany everything is available & isn't dear according to all the lads on a UK form who run/repair old mercs-

Here's 2

Broken Link Removed

from here:

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_odkw...=Scheibenwischer+Wischarm+Vorne+mercedes+207D

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
Thanks Beacon and Gus I'll certainly look into your suggestions and let you know how I get on,I really was losing the will to live over this one so fingers crossed it will be solvable.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
It happened to me once, one winter morning when the car was covered in snow, as soon as i started the engine the wiper arm control stalk had been left activated from the day before, so you can imagine the wipers attempted to activate and the control arm under the bonnet that operates the wiper mechanism just snapped, i went to the dealer for a price and they were over £200, so i got a mobile welder to come and weld the arm back on = £20 never had any problems after - cheapest option and no faffing about removing everything (y)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
....a call to the AA got me towed off the motorway and dropped at a service station....

WHY?

I would have made the most of losing my "no claims discount" and used their fuel to get me home OR to my local garage :rolleyes:.

IF they haven't taken you to a place where the fault can be fixed, I think they should be responsible for a second tow to somewhere which can (although Stuttgart or Morocco might be stretching it a bit :D).

I've used superglue to fasten wiper arms to splines when they have wanted to fall off. If the break is a bit further up the arm, it might be possible to put a U shaped bridge over the parts and fasten them by drilling small holes and fitting self-tapping screws. There are always "bodges" which can keep you on the move: permanent solutions may take a little more time and research. I would certainly consider sitting at a breakers yard and taking off one wiper arm at a time (on a "refund if no good" basis).

Good luck - Gordon

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
This company are very big Mercedes van breakers. Dronsfield Commercials, Oldham.
Phone number 01457 871717
They stock just about all secondhand parts and do mail order.

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
I could be looking at the wrong thing but if it's the linkage you require give these a call.
http://www.wipex.co.uk/ Tel. 01684569733
I had my linkage go on Kia Sorento and Kia wanted an absolute fortune. Spoke to Wipex and gave him my damaged linkage and he made new ones for very little money.
Worth a try.

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
Cheers guys for all the suggestions I'll be back on the case next week as the mh is in on Monday for solar panels and a couple of other small jobs I don't have the tools to do.
Appreciate all the replies.
Happy travels, Dave

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Cheers guys for all the suggestions I'll be back on the case next week as the mh is in on Monday for solar panels...

Sorted then. Go where the sun shines for the solar panels and you won't need the wipers!

But more seriously, it sounds an horrific experience, glad you have come out in one piece.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Beacon and Gus I'll certainly look into your suggestions and let you know how I get on,I really was losing the will to live over this one so fingers crossed it will be solvable.
If the broken part is steel an engineering workshop should be able to weld then machine the part back to as new.
May even do it if its aluminium.

Last resort but should be do-able by a small independant workshop, if somewhat expensive.

You could also PM wildman and ask his opinion.
a few years ago he offered to make or repair parts for funsters...welding/milling/lathe work...for a modest fee.

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
Sorted then. Go where the sun shines for the solar panels and you won't need the wipers!

But more seriously, it sounds an horrific experience, glad you have come out in one piece.

I'm not sure I came out in one piece,the psychological effects of that 2 hour drive which turned into a 5 hour torture session may be with me for a long time to come,but thanks for the sympathy. As tesco always say,every lidl helps..or something like that.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
If the broken part is steel an engineering workshop should be able to weld then machine the part back to as new.
May even do it if its aluminium.

Last resort but should be do-able by a small independant workshop, if somewhat expensive.

You could also PM wildman and ask his opinion.
a few years ago he offered to make or repair parts for funsters...welding/milling/lathe work...for a modest fee.

Cheers John,if I can't find the original part I may be forced to go that route.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Once in a car (austin cambridge) with a mate....many lifetimes ago....and the wipers packed in miles from home.

Took both arms off the spindles and took one each.
arm out of door windows and wiped the screen manually as needed....luckily it wasnt torrential.

Very wet arms but got home ok.

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
YAAAY sorted,vanspares had what I wanted although they wouldn't sell me just that part,had to buy the entire linkage set,but £30 isn't too over the top. Now to fit it,that's the next mountain to climb,as I said to a mate,it looks like they start with the linkages then build the van around it,I can see some choice words being used.
Thanks everyone for your input,its been very helpful.
All the best,Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back