Nice couple of nights away but....... (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Enjoyed 2 nights at Breamish cc site with an afternoon rummage around the Powburn antigue centre but as hubby was making my brekkie of porridge the first morning the electricity cut out. We discovered after fuse changes that the microwave was caput, we now have to get it out of situ, see if can be fixed or find another to fit without more cutting. Any advice welcome. East Lothian-20150415-00738.jpg East Lothian-20150415-00739.jpg

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Must admit we use ours as a bread bin, find all that can be done in the microwave can be done on or in the cooker and as we are more often off site than on we can't use it.

Perhaps not the answer you were looking for and maybe with your style of motorhome and life style you really need a microwave in which case there will be plenty for sale at any of the numerous dealers. Good luck

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Porridge!!! PORRIDGE!!! For Brekky??? Good grief woman!!
Full English! with Hash Browns, WHITE BREAD TOAST!!! none of this poofee brown bread full of seeds stuff, E numbers by the score! preseveatives too!

Toughen up Funster!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We use for my porridge, quick and easy or a baked tattie, we could manage without but thinking if we sell it next year would be better with working one in the space. The measurements have to be the same, don't want to start cutting cupboard. If we get it out it might be repairable.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We use for my porridge, quick and easy or a baked tattie, we could manage without but thinking if we sell it next year would be better with working one in the space. The measurements have to be the same, don't want to start cutting cupboard. If we get it out it might be repairable.
Which is why we don't get rid of ours

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Porridge!!! PORRIDGE!!! For Brekky??? Good grief woman!!
Full English! with Hash Browns, WHITE BREAD TOAST!!! none of this poofee brown bread full of seeds stuff, E numbers by the score! preseveatives too!

Toughen up Funster!!

Find Porridge easier to eat in the overcab bed, trying to eat a full English/Scottish up there would mean bacon and sausages shooting over the duvet.:D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It will be the klystron that has gone phut.. ( that is the thing that actually produces and emits the radio signal at microwave length )

Is there some sort of cooling fan in that cupboard where you have it fitted ? If not that may well be the reason it has died..

It will have lasted quite well as there is a decent air gap around it, but any extended use and that air will soon get hot and the klystron will ( has !!! :( ) eventually get overheated one time too many !!

They are actually available for an awful lot of makes nowadays but do be aware they are usually not that cheap

And it is a job you will either have to do your self or find a friend to do it for you, as one hours labour charge for someone able to do the work with some level of competence will cost more than a replacement unit from tescos** !

Mind you, changing the unit out can be done by any hobby level electronic peeps :)

Tescos M'waves
They are actually pretty good.. We have now had our Tesco special in three different vans and totally abused it, but it has kept on doing the bizz !!
In the miller I fitted a muff fan on the side of the thing where the louvre vents are ( the sort of fan you get in a computer power supply ) as an extractor Took it off now it is in the Autotrail as it is not longer 'fitted' but just sits in the fairly large open fronted cupboard where I believe the TV was originally supposed to go

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We had to change our combi microwave recently. It took a bit of research to find the right size to fit but we did. You just need to check the spec carefully but I think you'll be ok.

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Thanks guys, the height is the problem, the original is 23cms but found one at 22.5 but slightly smaller depth and width which shouldn't be a problem, it's white and I want silver.
The old one seemingly came from Pennine Leisure, the ones that they are selling now are 26cm height. Exquisit Microwaves.
Jaws not sure about cooling fan but I doubt it, will let hubby read your post.(y)

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Breakfast in bed eh. Wherever do you all find these good men ....I want to know?

Must be because he's English and we Scots are good at calling the tune or being English he likes to keep me his Scots wife in my place with bribes. Take your pick.:whistle:;)
The truth is he prefers me out of the way up there for peace and quiet.(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It will be the klystron that has gone phut.. ( that is the thing that actually produces and emits the radio signal at microwave length )

Is there some sort of cooling fan in that cupboard where you have it fitted ? If not that may well be the reason it has died..

It will have lasted quite well as there is a decent air gap around it, but any extended use and that air will soon get hot and the klystron will ( has !!! :( ) eventually get overheated one time too many !!

They are actually available for an awful lot of makes nowadays but do be aware they are usually not that cheap

And it is a job you will either have to do your self or find a friend to do it for you, as one hours labour charge for someone able to do the work with some level of competence will cost more than a replacement unit from tescos** !

Mind you, changing the unit out can be done by any hobby level electronic peeps :)
Could also be the klystron diode - I've had a couple fail. Cheap & easy to replace.

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We managed to remove microwave today and now fixed(y) we removed cover and and exchanged diode with one taken from old microwave but didn't make a difference, we then exchanged the fuses, it worked but still no idea why it blew.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We managed to remove microwave today and now fixed(y) we removed cover and and exchanged diode with one taken from old microwave but didn't make a difference, we then exchanged the fuses, it worked but still no idea why it blew.
Because the diode had failed - it always takes the fuse with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back