Replacing G4 Halogen lamps with LEDs ? Advice please. (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They will almost certainly work but there are LEDs and LEDs. From eBay and unless someone has recommended them to you there will be an element of pot luck as to how good they are. Even some of the big name branded lamp suppliers for the last 2 or 3 years have been having some quality issues that usually manifest as huge variations in the colour temperature. Cheaper unbranded ones tend to come from the same factory but a lot of the time are "rejects" that are too far outside the permitted range. You may get lucky but equally your warm white could be anything from bright yellow to bright white.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are different types of G4 LED for different types of fitting, coin shape as Andy mentioned (with back or side pins) and different sizes of tower type. This page at Aten Lighting illustrates the different types.

If the ones on eBay are no bigger than the halogen capsule bulbs being replaced then they should fit but if they are too tall they will foul the glass.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Try LEDhut.co.uk. They are not the cheapest but they are very good quality. I also bought from them LED direct replacement bulbs for our indoor table lamps etc they give off no heat, are very bright and look just the same as ordinary bulbs, but they are just 6t or 9 watts do use hardly any power.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Have you a picture of your downlighter with lamp in? Usual replacement is a flat coin shape.

Like these
http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-lighting/g4-leds

sorry about poor focus..
20150415_142923.jpg

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
if your bulb holders have reflectors then G4 replacements as the ones described should be ok. Some of my down lighters though are encased in a fitting with a built in reflector similar to the below (MR16)

Broken Link Removed

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would buy a couple to start off and check you like the colour and brightness. You may want less led's if too bright. If you find them unsuitable stick them in the bog or shower and try another option.
Aten go to all the major shows

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I just buy cheapie smd5050 (warm light) leds direct from Hong Kong (ebay)

Light colour has been consistent, I've had a couple not work / go quickly but at only 99p each, works out helluva lot cheaper than a UK supplier....

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
if your bulb holders have reflectors then G4 replacements as the ones described should be ok. Some of my down lighters though are encased in a fitting with a built in reflector similar to the below (MR16)

Broken Link Removed

I would buy a couple to start off and check you like the colour and brightness. You may want less led's if too bright. If you find them unsuitable stick them in the bog or shower and try another option.
Aten go to all the major shows
Both good points.
thanks all.. great info..

thought mine were a bit cheap.. :LOL:

I need ten.. :eek:

but as a start will replace the five most used..
I bought a mixture of Aten (for the most used), LedBulbs4U (new ceiling fittings) and eBay cheapies (which have been OK so far.

Going to a show is a good idea as you can not only check for the correct bulb type but also see whether you prefer Warm or Cool White from the trader displays.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I can vouch for Aten's products having tried cheaper alternatives and other dear ones that were rubbish from other sellers

And the spec in your link says 10-30V which means cool efficient switch mode regulation rather than just resistors.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Another nine LEDs delivered today, that's all eleven quartz halogen lamps changed.

expensive, but well worth it for the power saved when off grid..

same light output, but at just 1.6 watt, 6 of these can be 'on' for about the same power as just one 10 watt Quartz lamp

great service from Aten Lighting (y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Jim, did you do the 2 in the awning light. You can fit the 6 led type (23mm) in that and it will stop the lens going yellow, I fitted the cool white ones and they give a good light outside.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Bought mine from aton lighting.
You should get 10 percent of fir club discount.
Had the yellow ones in habitation area and outside, and white in the bathroom.
I have seen cheap ones start smoking on a display!
And you only buy them once.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back