still a newbie after all this time! (1 Viewer)

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We paid the deposit on our aototrail in October last year, it suiting us to keep itat the dealers and pick up April ( actually today is the day we should be taking home our mh).
Got a call last week from the dealer to say the mh has been brought up to the workshop to prepare for collection but major damp issues found. We went to see it yesterday and it looks like the whole internal will be stripped and rebuilt, in order to find the leak..they have some ideas what has happened ,but appear to be determined to get to the bottom of it.
I dont know what to think or feel, to say i am massively disapointed is an understatement, but the plus side i suppose is that the dealers have been honest and seem to be making sure its put right.
i am going to see the mh weekly to keep an eye on progress. BUT having lost money On a holiday we planned next week and the purchase of an alarm, I hate that i will now have to get into some sort of tricky dialogue about compensation...i hate that.( i have never tacitly stated that I accept the work and will paynthe rest of the money, still waiting to see how it all pans out)

Anyway , maybe some day I will be a real signed up member and actually have a mh to use...fingers crossed

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You must be gutted .....can they lend you something else ? ...... put your deposit against something else or return it. Dont know how much deposit you paid but would you walk away and look for another ?

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
That's a real disappointment Sue. Not sure I would want to accept a new van that's alread had extensive work done on it. :(
I would, at the very least be discussing some kind of recompense for loss of loss of money on the holiday.
Good luck with it and keep us informed on progress. (y)

Reactions: Sue
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Not cared for was it? Maybe another van or at least a loner? When our first one was due to be delayed they promised to lend us a MH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
You must be gutted .....can they lend you something else ? ...... put your deposit against something else or return it. Dont know how much deposit you paid but would you walk away and look for another ?
its a difficult one ..we paid 2k deposit, its a 2003 van. Dont want to lose that, but dont want a dud. I keep telling myself that they seem to be doing the job to fix it, and at least we will know its been done. We could walk away get another, lose a deposit and still have problems. Very tricky..will probably keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks and if its not working then say we want another..i havent said i will accept it yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes its tricky, you could walk away and buy another great one or another dud. At least it should have all new panelling and be as good if not better than what it was when you first saw it.
Good luck

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think I would be looking to see what else is around .... Must be lots of motorhomes around and for sale from 2003 ... You might get something better elsewhere I would ask for my money back.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh Sue you must be so disappointed, I would ask them if they could loan you a van if only for the period of the holiday you have booked. I would say there is a positive side though you could have paid the full amount and took delivery of the van and you would have had a much bigger problem, while technically I would think that you have only paid the deposit and the van is now not fit for purpose you could get it back if you choose. Good luck with sorting it out.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Look on the bright side, if you had taken delivery last year the damp problem would now be firmly in your lap and that is after you paid in full.
At least the dealer is accepting the liability and fixing the issue at his expense.

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
What a tale of woe, very disappointing. Personally, I would wait to see what sort of job they make of fixing the van, maybe get an independent expert to check it over before you hand over any more cash.

At least the dealer has got an incentive to get the van fixed, otherwise he will not be getting the balance due.

Good luck

Paul

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
What a tale of woe, very disappointing. Personally, I would wait to see what sort of job they make of fixing the van, maybe get an independent expert to check it over before you hand over any more cash.

At least the dealer has got an incentive to get the van fixed, otherwise he will not be getting the balance due.

Good luck

Paul
thanks Paul...thats kind of where i am at with my thinking

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm sitting here thinking how gutted I'd be if it were us.. . really feel for you.. such a disappointment.. but better caught now than if you have owned it for 6 months

I'm not a legal eagle, so not going to offer advice about refusing it and getting your deposit refunded or transferred to another purchase, that's what I'd want.. that's for you to decide.. but as has been said.. if it's sorted properly you should have a decent van... in a few months hopefully it will all be in the past..

good luck and keep us posted

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi sue, so sorry to hear about the m/h bet your gutted:cry::groan: I would be, hope it all gets sorted sooner rather than later and I think I would be asking if they could lend you one for your holidays. Which ever way it goes, with either that van or a different one, we wish you the best of luck and keep us posted on the progress. Mew & Mick

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hi sue, so sorry to hear about the m/h bet your gutted:cry::groan: I would be, hope it all gets sorted sooner rather than later and I think I would be asking if they could lend you one for your holidays. Which ever way it goes, with either that van or a different one, we wish you the best of luck and keep us posted on the progress. Mew & Mick
our plan was to collect the mh, straight to a manoeuvring course, home to load, then off to an arts course in the lakes. it is at Higham hall, cockermouth,mand they have hookups, so had booked that.When we were told no mh to collect i rang higham but its too late to cancel, they hadno accommodation left, so in my panic I booked a bed and breakfast. It all mounts up. We are just going for the weekend now and paying £200 for b&b instead of £24 for hookup...plus the loss of the experience in our mh. Totally gutted!

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi, hope you still have a wonderful weekend, even though you'll probably be thinking of how it would have been in your van. Keep on thinking positive it will all come right in the end (y) onwards and upwards and good luck. Mew & Mick

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Got a call last week from the dealer to say the mh has been brought up to the workshop to prepare for collection but major damp issues found. We went to see it yesterday and it looks like the whole internal will be stripped and rebuilt

Full marks to the dealer.

Most of that age will have some damp, maybe already solved, so this is working well in your favour. If you can see them doing a good repair cut them some slack and be patient.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Full marks to the dealer.

Most of that age will have some damp, maybe already solved, so this is working well in your favour. If you can see them doing a good repair cut them some slack and be patient.
yes, thats about right. I am holding fire and seeing what kind of job they do

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
At least the dealer has been honest, some dealers would have just done a bodged repair & not said a word.
However having had caravans with damp problems often you repair one part only to find problems else where a few months later, I personally would never take on a van that had known damp issues the risk is of further problems is just too high.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
At least the dealer has been honest, some dealers would have just done a bodged repair & not said a word.
However having had caravans with damp problems often you repair one part only to find problems else where a few months later, I personally would never take on a van that had known damp issues the risk is of further problems is just too high.
so it would be a good idea to get some kind of guarantee, and to make sure the warranty covers it?

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the trouble is weather is getting drier as summer progresses so will you actually be able to prove it's fixed?

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Annoying though it may be, it does sound like the dealer is bending over backwards to ensure you get a van that is fit for purpose. Imagine how you'd feel if they had let you drive off in it with a damp problem that you subsequently discovered yourself?
Hope it all gets sorted soon though, all the good weather coming up, don't want to miss it!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back